Bookmark and Share
Ourland Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Rice Owls
RE: C-USA skips out on hosting traditional Media Days
(07-19-2021 03:05 PM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  
(07-19-2021 01:32 PM)Ourland Wrote:  
(07-15-2021 05:05 PM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  
(07-15-2021 04:57 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  A really short sighted decision. Is money the actual reason? If so the conference is in worse trouble than we thought. If we are the only FBS conference NOT to hold in person media days we will get roasted by other G5's, all media, recruiters,etc.. Three or four schools could drive to the event. Conference officials LIVE in the area. Are commercial (not 1st class) flights to Dallas that expensive???

I would sure like to know how our AD voted (WKU). It is LAME. SMALL-TIME.

If the vote was somewhat close this might be the beginning of the end of the conference in the current set-up. IF-- I say IF this story blows up big nationally in college sports media there may be permanent fallout.

Embarrassing.

Could this provide more impetus for stronger consideration of a conference breakup? Probably not-- BUT-- it is sure to be added to the list of grievances by schools who entertain thoughts. Of course they have nowhere to go. But they may try a little harder to brainstorm some alternative.

UNT is 24 miles from Frisco, and UNT is an official partner of the Dallas Cowboys. I have no doubt that Baker voted to hold an in person media event. I'd think the other Texas programs and LA Tech were in favor of an in person event too. If I had to guess, I'd bet the votes against it came from mostly eastern AD's.

Good point. Not to trash the eastern members, but their travel expenses are much more significant in this case. Everyone in the West, but UTEP, could have driven to this event, and then come right back home on the same night.

I think this underscores how financially strapped we are as a conference. It's pathetic. I hope each division splits from the other soon, and we make our own way as small, regional conferences. The only way we make it is by keeping travel minimal, and by selling tickets to games that fans care about.

If some of the eastern programs can't spare a few grand to send some coaches and players to Dallas (a very accessible major city), than those programs don't need to be playing in the FBS. Smaller regional conferences isn't the answer. Shaking off a few programs that are not committed to participating in C-USA is a much better solution. If C-USA was trimmed down to a 12 or 10 program conference, we would be more stable and competitive.

I doubt there are bylaws that permit that, and I'm glad. Rice would be one of the first universities expelled. We have done nothing for this conference outside of academics and location.
07-19-2021 04:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: C-USA skips out on hosting traditional Media Days - Ourland - 07-19-2021 04:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.