JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
RE: National Championship JMU Versus NDSU January 11, 2020
(01-15-2020 07:24 AM)dan10 Wrote:  
(01-15-2020 07:15 AM)fishingduke12 Wrote:  
(01-14-2020 02:04 PM)Bison01 Wrote:  
(01-14-2020 01:37 PM)dan10 Wrote:  
(01-14-2020 12:32 PM)Bison01 Wrote:  Likely a lot of hindsight bias in your post.

The kicker was our starting kicker to open the season but got injured shortly thereafter. He also didn’t touch the ball during the play and had no effect on the outcome.

The holder, one of our starting safeties and the guy who made the game-ending interception, is also one of two holders.

So really nothing amiss with the personnel. Just a well-timed and executed play.

Nope. I am not tied to either team and as soon as the announcer said he hasn't attempted a kick, I immediately "here comes a fake". So there was no bias of any kind in my sentiment. I would assume the coaches actually know each others personnel so they would have known that information, whereas I would not have had a clue if it werent for the announcers stating such a fact.

Based on your reply you either didn’t really read what I wrote or you just aren’t aware of your own hindsight bias. I may be preaching to the choir here, but I’ll try again in simpler terms.

The kicker in question had one kick all season prior to the championship game. He was injured in the first game of the season during his first kick. He is/was our starting kicker who is now finally healthy. Having our original starting kicker (who is now finally healthy) on the field is in no way indicative of a fake. Also, remember he didn’t touch the ball on the play in question and had nothing to do with it whatsoever.

The person who was involved in the fake and actually touched the ball and ran the fake, the holder, is one of 2 holders who rotated and is listed as so on our 2-deep. Again, no obvious indication of a fake there.

Everyone including your own fanbase knew about your kicking woes this year. NDSU ran a fake against delaware. A kicker that has only seen the field once this season even if he was your original kicker all should be red flags that something is off from what was shown on film for the majority of the season and therefore be ready for a fake

Exactly my point. I understood his point without him going slowly. A national championship game is not a game where your kicker makes his first attempt, regardless if he was your starter prior to an injury. This is especially true early in a game that is going your way. I would venture to say if that didnt raise any flags for a fake, that person is really dense and may not understand enough about football or is extremely underprepared.

I’d go with not paying enough attention to the personnel and situation. It was early in the game and didn’t seem to be a situation where they *needed* a fake, but it was at a point on the field where it made sense for them, particularly given their kicker’s abilities. All of the NDSU fans expected the fake and knew it was coming. JMU fans less so. This was one of three or four pivotal points in the game, and our coaches were clearly caught off guard by it. We should have known the odds favored it given their relatively poor FG kicking, the winds, etc.
01-15-2020 07:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: National Championship JMU Versus NDSU January 11, 2020 - JMURocks - 01-15-2020 07:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.