Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Quinnipiac & Norfolk State - Atlantic City Tournament
Bookmark and Share
J.B. Offline

I Root For: Drexel
RE: Quinnipiac & Norfolk State - Atlantic City Tournament
(12-21-2019 10:13 PM)Timer Wrote:  
(12-21-2019 02:24 PM)J.B. Wrote:  Attendance was listed on the boxscore for both games last night at 500. Let's say that the idea of having 4 mid-major teams from fairly far away playing in Atlantic City on the Friday and Saturday before Christmas is an epic fail. They would have drawn more fans if the tournament were at the DAC. I think that family members and diehard fans from the other teams, if there are any, would rather be in Philadelphia than Atlantic City.

That attendance figure to me was very generous. BG did have a lot of fans since they have a local guy as a major player. They had the most fans over the two days. An "interestingly" run tournament and venue. Today's game had NO event staff. The officials had to move the warm up ball cart of the floor when we pointed out that it was still sideline midcourt. No one to mop wetness on the floor, etc.

Was also glad that I showed up yesterday just before 2:00 for the 4:30 game to check the table set up. Daktronics unit very similar to the DAC with one MAJOR flaw....the shot clock reset handheld only had one button that reset the shot clock to 30 seconds, no way to reset to 20 at all. Fortunately I had the venue event person's cell number. Had a little difficulty explaining that it was a rather large problem. The first suggestion was to just use the control panel to reset it. I laughed and said there was no way that would work. Eventually it was discovered that there was a package that hadn't been opened..The correct handheld was in place maybe 30 minutes prior to tip-off. No idea what would have happened if it hadn't been found......

Like I said, interesting tourney, but I did like the way the horn sounded in Boardwalk Hall....

Sounds to me like there are so many little nuances that go into preparation of an official college basketball game, and the Atlantic City people just thought that you could just set up a court, baskets, and scoreboards and be fine. I'm still not sure what the purpose of it was. I guess maybe they thought that they could sell a few extra hotel rooms? Also, with the MAAC Tournament is in Atlantic City in March, and I wonder if any of their staff was in attendance, using these games as a trial run?
12-22-2019 08:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Quinnipiac - J.B. - 12-20-2019, 06:19 PM
RE: Quinnipiac - dan10 - 12-20-2019, 07:35 PM
RE: Quinnipiac - J.B. - 12-21-2019, 09:02 AM
RE: Quinnipiac & Norfolk State - Atlantic City Tournament - J.B. - 12-22-2019 08:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.