Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tell me again why Tony Shaver was fired
Bookmark and Share
Marshall Wythe Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: Tell me again why Tony Shaver was fired
To everyone wishing this issue would just go away, feel free to read another thread. I, personally, will not let this issue die.

And that is not just because I want to say "I told you so." Honestly, if the new coaches come in next year and wow us (let's say upset a big conference opponent and get to the conference championship), then I will start the thread that says I was wrong about AD Huge. I would LOVE to eat my hat on this issue.

But, until then, I think we have to hold the AD and administration accountable for paying an extra $1.7 million to hire what seems to be a weaker coaching staff. I am not going to be quiet just so others can feel better and sing Hark Upon the Gale. Because if we don't hold the administration accountable now, then we will get the same mistake after the Fischer era ends.

Had Shaver gotten the chance to coach this team next year and disappointed again, the firing next year would have been more defensible (and would have saved us at least a third of the $1.7 million). I am not trying to "have it both ways." I don't know if I'd still agree with firing Shaver. It would depend on the body of work next year. But, it would be more defensible if he had been given that chance.

In my opinion, Huge came here with a Texas A&M mindset and just did not appreciate the history of W&M basketball and its unique position in the CAA.

And I hope I am wrong about everything I just wrote.

At the end of the day, I am just a fan with an opinion speaking out of fear that the program is now set back a decade or more (and we paid $1.7 million to do so). And AD Huge is the expert chosen by the College to do the right thing, so I respect the College's decision to make that hire.

AD Huge was hired to make hard decisions, and I promise to give her all the praise she deserves when those decisions bear fruit (or even when she makes understandable decisions that don't bear fruit). But, on this inexplicable decision, I will keep track of the results until I am proven wrong.

I look forward to my mea culpa.
04-30-2019 08:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tell me again why Tony Shaver was fired - Marshall Wythe - 04-30-2019 08:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.