Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond
AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond
(07-29-2022 08:40 PM)jlog3000 Wrote:  I know this is off-topic, but does it include current full Independent schools (including the NAIA's Continental member schools) when it comes to conference realignment?

For example, Warren Wilson (who recently joined D-III in 2020-21 as a transitional/provisional member from the USCAA, where that school spent most of its tenure) is the latest Indy school to find a new conference home in the somehow-struggling Coast-to-Coast Conference (C2C).

On a sidenote, it seems to me that Chicago State will remain as a D-I Independent (and the only one once Hartford moves to D-III and join the CCC), until at least they will somehow prove themselves competitively in any sport to be considered to join a fitting regional conference as a full member.

And as far as D-II Independents go, I'm still a bit shocked that Bluefield State doesn't have a proper conference home (same with Salem, but I will momentarily get to them in a moment) since the WVIAC dissolved nearly a decade ago. There might be various scenarios in theory. For instance, those two would fit on either the G-MAC (where Salem spent for a few seasons before returning to Indy status) or the Mountain East (MEC) to rejoin with most of their former WVIAC members (except Ohio Valley U., Shepherd, Pitt-Johnstown and Seton Hill); or Bluefield State would fit in the CIAA (as it's a HBCU, but also a PWI).

Also the NECC will again still be active with just 4 full members for this school year before losing Lesley to the North Atlantic (NAC) in 2023. I wonder what will be the conference's future, if they can't find any potential members, or whether they would find a nearby regional conference to merge with.

I'm surprised that the outliers within the C2C are not in proper regional conferences (i.e.: Finlandia would fit in the Michigan Conference (or MIAA), while Mount Mary would fit on either the NACC or the CCIW or the Midwest, and UC Santa Cruz would fit in the SCIAC, or plan to move to D-II to join the CCAA (in case that league loses a member via moving up to D-I and join the Big West or the WAC)), and those could be replaced with schools that fit the geographic footprint, like Trinity Washington (D.C.).

Also for the rest of the D-III Independents, if given the chance, Asbury would fit either in the newly-created CCS or the SAA or the SCAC; while Bob Jones (also a recently joined school like Warren Wilson) would fit either in the USA South or the C2C; and Maranatha Baptist would fit to rejoin the NACC. Plus, newcomer Lyon from Arkansas (whos transitioning from the NAIA) would fit in either the SCAC or the American Southwest.

Thoughts?

UC Santa Cruz doesn't seem to care enough about athletics to make the effort to add athletic scholarships for D2.

Bluefield State may find themselves in the Carolinas or the Mountain East within 5 years. The CIAA would be a terrible fit for BSU due to the mix of sponsored sports. Salem is probably stuck as an Independent but their Swimming & Diving teams are Carolinas affiliates.

It would be nice to see Christopher Newport, Mary Washington, and Salisbury join D2 now that former conference mate Frostburg State is a full D2 member.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2022 10:55 PM by AZcats.)
08-01-2022 09:14 PM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - AZcats - 08-01-2022 09:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.