Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Georgia State Twitter making friends I see
Bookmark and Share
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: Georgia State Twitter making friends I see
(01-07-2018 11:59 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  I grew up and was raised as a Razorback Fan. My family had season tickets for years. As a kid I had a lot of fun memories of going up to Fayetteville to watch a game. It was expected in our family that unless they didn't have your degree, you went to the University of Arkansas.

Then I chose to go to Arkansas State. I tried for 3 years to be a dual fan. There are some lovely AState fans who remember me very well when I was a dual fan. But then I started to read what the University of Arkansas actually thought of us. From conversations with Razorback fans, I realized that ultimately many of them would never cheer for us. We were merely tolerated.

Now there is no program on earth I hate more than the University of Arkansas. Despite the fact they may have taught me to love sports. I chose to be loyal to the school that gave me my education, and they chose repeatedly to belittle that school. Their loss.

If someone is willing to throw away their alma mater all because they don't like the fact the alma mater doesn't want alums being fans of other schools, then they should probably go ahead and cut ties and get it over with because they will never be a true fan. It's something Arkansas State learned years ago. Rather than trying to bring back those alums, learn to educate your current students, so they become AState fans and AState fans only.

In time, I hope Georgia State will learn that sometimes the best thing you can do is cut out the alums that won't ever root for you anyway.

This approach just isn't going to cut it in the state of Georgia.

No offense to the Razorbacks, but they aren't UGA. It's just like App fans who want to claim having NC State and Chapel Hill in their state is the same as having UGA. Nope, not even close.

UGA gets top 5 recruiting classes every year and gets 90k people in their stadium on down seasons against nothing opponents. If Arkansas or UNC had a coach with 9 double-digit win seasons and 7 top-10 AP finishes in 15 seasons that coach would get a two-ton copper statue. At UGA you get fired.

You can't underestimate the gravitational pull a program like that in your state. The fact that Georgia Tech (an ACC program) can't sell out their stadium on great years like 2009 and 2014 tells you all you need to know.

We've got people in luxury booths and in end-zone club seats watching UGA games while we're playing App State or Ark State, and honestly, I don't like it but I can live with it because they're paying lots of money for those seats that goes into Southern's coffers. If only people who didn't care about UGA showed up in our stadium, we'd have a lot fewer people.

I say this as a guy that grew up a Southern fan and never really cared much about UGA.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2018 09:14 AM by EigenEagle.)
01-08-2018 09:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Georgia State Twitter making friends I see - EigenEagle - 01-08-2018 09:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.