Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Report: UCSD Finally Gets Big West Invite
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
RE: Report: UCSD Finally Gets Big West Invite
(01-29-2019 10:25 PM)joeben69 Wrote:  Crowded UC San Diego receives record number of applications for fall enrollment
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/new...story.html

Has nothing to do with Big West.

UC system has been pushing more students to apply. It is not accepting any more than it did before, but ... drum roll ... they keep the money from all the extra applications. They allow Students to apply to apply to multiple campuses, each it's own application, instead of to the system. Neat trick, allows them to basically get triple (on average) the application fees paid. Big money maker without adding a single seat.

I do agree with JDGaucho on CSUB not really being a good add. They were the beneficiary of being the available CSU. There is a good chance SJSU will drop football in a decade, and that is your 12th. Sac State would have been a much better invite at this time. I was a bit surprised at the CSU Presidents revolt, but given the way the California legislature, current and especially previous Governor treated the CSUs I am not surprised. CSUB is just plain lucky; it's not like other CSU Presidents hold them in any esteem compared to their more urban brothers.

GCU will never be invited, nor any private school with a religious affiliation. UC Chancellors are unanimous on that (so 5 hard "hell no" votes). That is a reality JDGaucho surely is aware of. Why he keeps bringing it up is beyond me. Frankly Arizona and Nevada would be acceptable to the Big West for schools, as Phoenix, Reno and Las Vegas are just short hops (Portland is not, it's a long way even from the Bay Area). But there is not a single viable candidate in those states (public, without football, in an accessible commuter hop flight city).

JD, I thought you were way older. Your sentiment is one I have only run into with one over 70 year old UCSB alumni. All the ones I know in their 40s and younger like the Big West and California only type league.
02-01-2019 01:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Report: UCSD Finally Gets Big West Invite - Stugray2 - 02-01-2019 01:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.