Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The DC TV and Theatrical Universe...
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
RE: The DC TV and Theatrical Universe...
(11-20-2017 01:15 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  OK, so you're just talking about the DCEU, right? (i.e. Dark Knight Trilogy and other earlier DC character stuff not included). As you note, DC has put a successful (i.e. critical and popular) DCEU movie out: Wonder Woman. Terrific film. But I think the point you're getting at, and make more clearly in the movie thread, is that DC hasn't done a very good job of thinking through their character's movie (and TV) lives, how they can connect, and where they're headed. Marvel has done this remarkably well. Their TV productions link to their movie productions. Characters are consistent. But DC doesn't appear to care much about that. Your example of Arrow is a good one: They just arbitrarily decided that Arrow would go up against Ra's al ghul? It actually did make the show good, but it completely crapped all over the Batman story line. Do you watch Gotham? As silly as it can be sometimes I kind of like it, but it's obviously part of some separate DC universe because the Ra's-Bruce Wayne story line has become integral. All the TV Flash stuff? Those characters (and the actors who portray them)? Completely different from the film - ANOTHER DC universe. It's disjointed, and means the best they can do (for now) is the occasional hit like WW, but then they have disastrous opening weekends for what should be a MONSTER hit in Justice League, because fans don't trust them to get this stuff right and they're not telling a story like Marvel is. And for the record, I'm not a Marvel fanboy - I've always preferred the DC characters.

I have no prior knowledge of Green Arrow's comic book history and I don't recall any real discussion of it in the old Superfriends or newer Justice League animated cartoons. That said, the LoA could have obviously incorporated a lot of heroes and villains over the years and I didn't find Arrow's paths in and out of the life of a LoA member to be going against any Batman LoA story arcs that I know of. I really did feel that they reasoned out some good Arrow history with the LoA into a lot of good story line and some pretty cool character reveals.

Gotham has been very entertaining for sure. I like its spin on the Batman universe. I think they have pulled off some good characters in it.

I like the TV Flash and I like the animated Flash portrayals I have seen so far. But the way they did him in DoJ seemed off... like who he was, where he'd be in his life, and what had happened/hadn't happened to him in terms of being that CSI guy, the Star Labs stuff, and other stuff involving him seemed not right logistically with the visuals.

As far as DC vs. Marvel thing goes, I do think Marvel did a better job of planning out who to do and when, and if they wanted to really go for the intertwined story arc amongst their characters. Marvel basically has to banners to run under, X Men and The Avengers. They have been pretty smart about keeping the casting together and using the main movies to feed into the sub movies. I am not saying DC has to pull off a grand scheme The Avengers family of films to be good. I think you have have Marvel and DC films coexist without one series biting off the others. Honestly. some of Marvel's schtick of late is kind of wearing thin. DC could play the opposite with the harder edge and darker tone....but they have to get the movie right.
11-20-2017 10:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The DC TV and Theatrical Universe... - PirateTreasureNC - 11-20-2017 10:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.