Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

To all those complaining about NOLA bowl selection
Bookmark and Share
TheOriginalBigApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
RE: To all those complaining about NOLA bowl selection
(12-08-2016 12:35 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(12-08-2016 12:24 PM)TheOriginalBigApp Wrote:  Let me preface this by saying: This is the greatest thread in the history of ever! I truly hope it can get over 50 pages!

If I didn't know any better, I'd think a top-25 ranked South Alabama went 6-2 in SBC play, not 2-6. Now, on to my post.

TomInLazybrook:

Karl Benson has a product to sell, Sun Belt Conference football, with 6 available locations to sell it. However, Mr Benson knows that only 4 of his infomercials (bowl matchups) are televised by ESPN. Given the 6 available teams to 'sell' this product, and their history of salesmanship, where would you think the best place to put them would be?

Keep in mind the guy, call him Bert, in Waukesha who is perusing the ESPN tier on his TV after his old lady just turned him down on a Saturday night, and comes across a bowl game with X vs Y.

Is South Alabama, playing in the 76,500 seat SuperDome, the best product he has (visually speaking) to keep Bert's attention?

Which teams are going to make Benson's product look best on Bert's TV?

This year, we belong in Tucson....but not every year. That's the problem. We, like App, should have the ability to play in a top bowl if we get to the top three. A conference champion is playing on CBSSN in an inferior bowl this year. It could have been you guys. Instead, you get to play in the same location as last year.

ULL's product is so great that ESPN decided to air the same number of games as they did versus other Belt teams. And they decided 'nah' ULL-Boise...we're not covering that.

This isn't about USA vs ULL in the NO Bowl this year. Its about ULL blocking everyone else out of the NO Bowl in perpetuity.

I operate under the position that the ESPN Bowls should be placed in a tier and the top 3 teams should be guaranteed a spot in our most prominent bowls. Our top 3 teams aren't unwatchable. The league, by its tolerance of this situation, implies that. And if the league says our best teams really aren't legitimate, then that's a problem too. Part of the way to get respect, is to treat yourselves like you deserve respect. Finishing in the top of the conference is something that deserves respect.

ULL is operating under the position that they should have one of only 3 ESPN bowls in perpetuity, every time they cobble together 6 wins.

Under my proposal, USA would NOT be in New Orleans this year. It would have been Troy, App, or stAte.

Tom, the only relevant things you've stated in this post are your FIRST and your LAST sentences.

You're right, Tucson is exactly where you belong this year.

This year, it WOULD have been Troy, App or stAte. If USA had beaten ULL, and literally every single other thing remained exactly the same, that would be the case.

Once more: If USA beats UL back in September, this is a non-issue. The only one to "blame" here is USA.
12-08-2016 01:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: To all those complaining about NOLA bowl selection - TheOriginalBigApp - 12-08-2016 01:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.