To all those complaining about NOLA bowl selection
Bookmark and Share
Louisiana99 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
RE: To all those complaining about NOLA bowl selection
(12-06-2016 11:37 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 11:03 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 10:57 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  First every other conference has a protocol in place. Why would the bowl demand something from the Belt that they don't from the other team playing in the bowl? All those bowls, INCLUDING THE NO BOWL, accept some protocols in place from the other conference in those bowls.

None of our bowls are going anywhere. Where would they go? I suppose the DG could try to go back to CUSA, but there's a really nasty history there and they'd probably get a really crummy pick most years. NO? Replacing the Belt with any other G5 save the AAC (who doesn't have a slot) would reduce attendance (USA, Troy, stAte etc., would outdraw any MAC or MWC team). Montgomery isn't leaving us. Orlando has no other option either. Tucson is last pick most years, they know it, and if they dropped, we just go in the must take pool for our 5th team. We'd probably get an upgrade from it.

Please... Which conferences have rules in place that no bowl can select the same school more than twice in a 5 year period. I'm truly asking, because I've never heard of such a deal.

To me, the only rule that is needed would be a team can't accept a bowl invite if a higher (conference ranking) ranked team has no bowl. That way, it guarantees the best teams in the conference get a bowl selection first. But honestly, I can't think of a time that's been a problem (we had more wins than USA, but I think we had the same conference record, and they beat us, so that's a non-issue).

No conference has the exact protocol in place that I'm proposing.

1) CUSA has only the champion picking first. If a CUSA team is the access bowl team, then the second place team gets to pick.
2) MWC Winner goes to a specific bowl - Las Vegas. It also has a stated 'preference' for rotation with the last time a team participated in a particular bowl being a factor in selection
3) MAC does not have a selection criteria. But they have no close bowls, so there's no strong history of favoritism or blocking.
4) AAC has a tiered protocol. The first five teams are matched with the first five bowls. The other 2 bowls pick after that pool. Basically, the AAC recognizes that some bowls are better than others and ensure that a lower performing AAC team doesn't end up in a 'better bowl'.
5) ACC has a stated bowl for its champion. Its second place team goes to a specific bowl. Beyond that the remaining bowls are grouped into tiers with tier pools chosen based upon conference performance.
6) B1G - Stated rule banning teams appearing in the same bowl 2 years in a row. All bowls have to have 5 different teams in their bowls over a 5 year period. Rose Bowl is the only exception.
7) Big XII - Stated bowl for champion.
8) PAC 12 - Stated bowl for champion. Complex criteria for the other bowls based upon a non-divisional sort order of teams' conference record matched up versus specific bowls. Bowls, in theory, do the 'picking' but they cannot pick at team with less than 1 fewer conference win of any remaining unpicked team.
9) SEC - Stated bowl for champion. No real criteria after that, but unofficial agreements, pretty much known to the members exist (such as Texas Bowl prefers a West division team, etc.). There are tiers, but they tend to refer to the bowls not the teams.
10) Sun Belt - Wild West Baby.

4-9 the schools and conferences have money coming out of their asses so they arent worried about financial consequence the way we are... we have the same process as the MAC and the other 2 designate a champion.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2016 11:45 PM by Louisiana99.)
12-06-2016 11:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: To all those complaining about NOLA bowl selection - Louisiana99 - 12-06-2016 11:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.