Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

To all those complaining about NOLA bowl selection
Bookmark and Share
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
RE: To all those complaining about NOLA bowl selection
(12-05-2016 09:45 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  Who's complaining about the NOLA bowl selection?

I mean, it's a no brainer... The Cajuns have filled that bowl many times over. It is in a town that has many Cajun fans.

Can someone explain why there's an issue here? I mean, I could understand if the Cajuns were 5-7 and got selected over a team with more wins... But that is not the case.

Because teams will end up in Arizona simply because one of 'our' bowls is really the property of one team. I'm not mad about this year....I just see it as a general problem. For USA, we have TWO bowls that we cannot participate in, regardless of our record....The New Orleans Bowl and the Dollar General. Its good that the Camellia likes us.

Sure, its better than not bowling, but still...we could get another, equitable bowl slot if we jettisoned a bowl that isn't working with the conference.

I still think that 2 times in 5 years should be the limit unless there's a exceptional reason to do so. This year, the NO Bowl has a local team (USM is actually closer to New Orleans than ULL). Let ULL go somewhere else for a change. An App/USM match would be well attended. Why should App be limited in their bowl options simply because the conference has a bowl that doesn't really work with the conference. ULL has played in that bowl the last FIVE times they've been bowl eligible. Five out of the last six years. Add up the fact that the other good bowl in the conference won't take one team (USA) and has a decided preference for a particular team (Ark State), then there's a real problem developing.

For Texas State, there's a problem. You guys want to go to the 'no one will see it bowl' at the business end of a 1000 dollar airfare simply because the conference won't establish a protocol for bowl slots. Other conferences do that.

The dynamic has changed. Its good that we've gone from not enough slots to inequitable slots, but that doesn't mean we can't work on equitable treatment.

---

Easy enough to fix.

1) No bowl can take a team more than 2 times in a five year period, unless there's a waiver. This guarantees that at least THREE different teams will play in a particular bowl in a five year period.
2) Teams that finish first or second should be placed prior to six win teams (subject to the constraint above). And no, playing UCF in a road game or going to Arizona isn't going to be considered to be placing prior to the DG or the NO Bowl.
3) No bowl can effectively ban any teams in the conference
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2016 12:47 AM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
12-06-2016 12:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: To all those complaining about NOLA bowl selection - Tom in Lazybrook - 12-06-2016 12:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 6 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.