Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

I Root For: ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite
(04-13-2014 06:33 AM)Panarican Wrote:  
(04-13-2014 05:30 AM)carolinaknights Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 12:48 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 12:13 PM)Eagleditka Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 10:53 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  I bet he mentions Liberty at least once.

No mention of Liberty. But he said we will have a 12th team in 2015. Whatever that means.

If nothing else, it confirms the conference won't stand pat. Either JMU accepts an invitation, or there will be an invitation to a fallback school. None of the fallback choices is ideal so the least objectionable will get the offer.

If JMU doesn't accept and the other schools are the " least objectionable", then maybe UMASS has a chance as FB only since they have already moved up and have no transitioning period. NMS then gets the all sports invite as opposed to FB only and the SB gets a Championship game. The UMASS choice gives the FCS schools time to develop, gives UMASS a home until the AAC comes calling, and everyone is satisfied for another 4-6 years until realignment rears its ugly greedy head again.

Make PERFECT sense to me. No FCS transition to worry about and the travel partner argument is overblown in my opinion.

Is it absolutely confirmed that JMU has an invitation?

As far as I know, Benson only mentioned JMU by name that one time, way back in October of 2013,
Liberty has already declared their desire to go FBS, they’re just waiting for the invitation. As has Jacksonville State and Alabama State have expressed their desire. James Madison has gone through that, they expect after the first of the year they will reach a decision whether to make the move to FBS. If they do, the question is what conference will they align with. We certainly would be interested to have that conversation. But it’s several months off. And the earliest anything could happen would be for 2015.

Does JMU even want to go FBS?
The only facts from JMU are the very general Carr Report, a response to an FBS question a month or so ago in which JMU AD Bourne replied that there is "no invitation", and the somewhat puzzling statement president Alger made to the JMU faculty senate in March of this year; “When we think about different conferences, we’re not talking about the SEC or the Big 10 or the so called ‘power conferences’ that have been getting a lot of publicity recently,” Alger said. “But the options that we’re talking about at the FBS level they’re really more modest conferences — they really look an awfully lot like where we already are.”

Even IF JMU wants to move up (and I lean toward that it doesn't, because of previously mentioned financial concerns), are you sure that the western presidents are going to vote yes to ANY eastern add?

There is a lot of speculation here seemingly presented as fact.
04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2014 08:39 AM by ODUalum78.)
04-13-2014 07:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - ODUalum78 - 04-13-2014 07:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.