Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Here are the 2 choices-- how would you vote?
Bookmark and Share
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
RE: Here are the 2 choices-- how would you vote?
(03-27-2014 01:13 PM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  I think you and he are talking about different views of growth. I’ve seen this discussion before when it comes to Astate fans and Cajun fans discussing the topic of growth and improving your brand. You stated as have others have from the Astate fandom just keep winning and things will work out. While that goes without saying, it’s a pretty narrow view of growth. I think it was you that also stated that we face a different environment in Louisiana because of the existence of four other FBS programs and a number of FCS programs, an important fact that Astate fans have not experienced in Arkansas. Fighting for recognition doesn’t just come with success on the field, but with conference affiliation and corporate dollars as well.

If there is a lesson we have learned from other SBC programs is that you cannot build a program on the backs of the student bodies and season ticket holders with fees alone, corporate investment is vital. Going out and selling your athletics to corporations that are not owned by UL graduates in Louisiana while playing in the Sun Belt, is a huge obstacle. Selling the Sun Belt Conference brand in this state while fighting for dollars against programs in C-USA, AAC and the SEC is a non- starter. It’s something that State fans will never fully grasp because you’re only FBS peer is Arkansas, located on the other side of the state. Corporate investment is vital and right now there just isn’t much interest to sink major money into a Sun Belt program. Of course UL could do a better job of selling itself, but it’s still a major obstacle in spite of our short comings in the fundraising department. While I agree success in athletics on the courts and fields is a major component to building an athletic brand, corporate investment is also vital in building facilities, increasing funding for students academics support, improving scheduling and attracting higher quality student athletes.

Winning is only part of the picture of growth. You cannot sustain growth without investment capital. So it does not go unnoticed that while we having successful runs in all our major sports with the exception of WBB, several local major corporations have told us we don’t see any value in spending money or tying their brand with a program in the Sun Belt Conference. You may not want to hear it, but it’s a huge obstacle we have to overcome in Louisiana.

That actually hits upon why it is important for the Sun Belt to have both our programs.

I don't think anyone looks at what is happening in terms of success, salaries, and construction projects and questions that our programs are fully devoted to improvement.

Yet we hold a different perspective of the role of the league. It was our president who worked with the leaders around the league to reach a compromise statement of what every schools should aspire to do and a pathway to get there. The unfortunate thing was the leaders failed to lead top down.

They copped out when confronted by coaches that their security was in danger by playing tougher schedules and stammered and blamed "the league" and they caved to the complaints of their employees rather than saying, "That's what we expect HERE, if you can't do it let me know so I can seek a replacement who can."

For AState there just isn't any greener grass in C-USA or MAC. They are no more united in their committment nor to holding one another accountable.

C-USA is for all the history of the league is hoping three schools they admitted who had never played a down as an FBS school would be magic beans because they are located in places with lots of TV sets. They've added nine schools and seven of those primarily on the strength of the number of TV sets within so many miles of campus.

If C-USA handed down tough scheduling expectations and held each other's feet to the fire, I could see a difference that was significant then.

But the league needs the differing viewpoints lest it blunder around again when given the chance to reinvent itself.
03-27-2014 01:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Here are the 2 choices-- how would you vote? - arkstfan - 03-27-2014 01:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.