TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
RE: NCAA to restore PSU Scholarships
(09-25-2013 07:59 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(09-25-2013 07:10 AM)TerryD Wrote:  
(09-25-2013 03:32 AM)allthatyoucantleavebehind Wrote:  
(09-24-2013 05:04 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(09-24-2013 12:31 PM)stever20 Wrote:  OSU staff lied about actual NCAA violations. Huge difference there.

Yeah, illegal tattoos are so much worse that child-rape.

You don't understand the quote.

OSU--free tattoos and benefits
USC--free money and agents running amuck
UNC--fake classes for dumb athletes

NCAA jurisdiction...NCAA penalties

PSU--administrative failure to protect children

USA laws...USA legal penalties (jail, etc.)

Baylor didn't get sanctioned for a murdered player...ND didn't get sanctioned for poor judgment on a windy day...

The NCAA should have never been involved. Legal experts said this 14 months ago...brave journalists wrote this 14 months ago...

You act like this "administrative failure" (i.e. cover up) was a single, isolated act of negligence, sort of an accident, like a rear end collision (sorry, no pun was really intended).

You seem to imply that this was a single, isolated, unintentional, accidental thing at Penn State. A one time thing. Something that began and ended in a single day.

Nothing from 1998 to 2011 was calculated, thought out, considered, mulled over, talked about or intentionally hidden/suppressed/swept under the rug. There was no prior knowledge or suspicion that Jerry Sandusky liked to rape small boys.

This was a one time surprise that caught everyone unaware and shocked them so much, it shocked them into....doing nothing.

You seem to think that this would have been handled the same way at Penn State if it were a janitor or a non-football employee caught in the act of anal rape of a small child in a shower.

The fact that Sandusky was a former DC of the football team, with continued special access to football facilities, was caught raping a boy by an assistant coach, who did nothing to stop the young kid from getting raped and waited a day to report it to the head coach.......that has nothing to do with anything, that none of this had its basis in covering up these child sexual abuse activities to protect Joe Paterno and the Penn State football program from damage/harm?

Do you really believe that? If so, it appears to me that many people in America do not share your view.

That being said, the reduction of sanctions by the NCAA does not surprise me.

Where was your outrage about Notre Dame putting football ahead of the safety of the student in the lift (and there is no dispute about the priorities there)?

Where was your outrage over the callous disregard of sexual assault charges by the police of Notre Dame University (University police, not city/county police) that contributed to a young lady committing suicide?

Where was your concern about repeated disregard of rapes by football players as alleged by two women at the time of the previous incident?

Sorry, but if you are a Notre Dame fan you look really hypocritical complaining about Penn St. unless you first criticize your own school.

I have no "outrage" about Penn State. I never did. So, your thesis is totally wrong from the start.

Second, that ND university police response regarding Lizzy Seeberg was within two weeks, not 13 years. I am not certain there was any "callous disregard" there.

She alleged that a player touched her breast. She made some other allegations that her own phone records and the statements of others disputed/cast doubt upon.

Certainly, she was not seen being raped by an assistant coach who reported it to Brian Kelly who....

Certainly, not the level of Penn State's cover up. Oranges (ND) and rotten apples (PSU).

Lizzy tried to commit suicide at the University of Dayton the year before.

Why did she attempt suicide at Dayton?

That is why her family had her transfer to St. Mary's College in the first place.

So, I am not certain that the university police at ND "contributed" to the poor girl's suicide. Does anyone?

Any board psychiatrists ever interview her?

Third, what "repeated disregard of rapes"?

Google Cooper Rego and Abe Elam. Try Lorenzo Crawford, too.

There is a fairly long list of ND players who were administratively expelled by ND and barred from campus after allegations of sexual misconduct.

ND has a history of little tolerance for that back to Ross Browner and Luther Bradley in 1974. They suspended their two best defensive players for those (never proven) allegations back then.

Those guys were expelled prior to criminal charges (they were all found not guilty but one (Elam) who pled guilty). None of this "wait until the criminal process is concluded" BS.

In fact, I can recall criticism by non-ND fans that ND was too hasty in its administrative hearing process and expulsion of those players. There were claims at the time that ND was too "old fashioned" in its Code of Conduct as set forth in du Lac.

WVU fans were outraged that ND would not let Cooper Rego back on its campus when WVU last visited ND.

The Declan Sullivan incident was a true, one time, negligence thing. I wrote my post because the Penn State fan was trying to compare the two situations as a negligent, one time event.

ND has taken steps (a statue) to honor the memory of Declan and has funded a scholarship in his name.

They have the approval of the Sullivan family for all that they have done in response to this accident.

I have no "outrage" about anything that happens in college football, or sports at all, for that matter. In fact, I don't recall having any "outrage" about anything in my life, for that matter.

I just responded to what appeared to be an attempt to make the Penn State matter a one time, "accidental negligence" type of thing.

Just to be clear about poster requirements, we have to be fans of a program who has never done one thing wrong to comment on the actions of other programs, correct?
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2013 10:15 AM by TerryD.)
09-25-2013 10:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NCAA to restore PSU Scholarships - TerryD - 09-25-2013 10:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.