Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
(09-24-2013 04:34 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  If you think we'd raise hell about letting in UT it would be a tempest in a teapot compared over how we'd feel about letting in those little ****s from Waco after they tried every dirty trick they could think of to try and keep us in the Big Dumpster Fire

10th, I'm glad A&M is in the SEC, but we aren't taking T.C.U.. They have small attendance, aren't proficient in all sports (although their baseball is good), are private and don't fit our profile, and have academics at a level we aren't interested in. I held Baylor up as a comparison because we aren't likely to take them either but they have better attendance, better athletics, and better academics. The suggestion of T.C.U. ticked me off. But while we are on the topic just who from the Big 12 would you approve of? As far as I can tell you hate them all. If we don't grow from the ACC which is my preference just who would be acceptable from the Big 12? The only ones that fit our profile are Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. The only one I could see us taking that was not in that profile might be Oklahoma State and that would be stretch.

The best thing that could happen to the Big 12 would be for the PAC to take 6 to 8 of them with the Big 10 picking up any slack. That puts them out of their misery and earns all of us 1.1 million more per team in playoff money we don't have to split. Then if the Big 10 and SEC coordinated their efforts on the ACC we might be able to get who we really want.

But January is coming and we will know more. But in this business all contingencies are explored and only those who fit are accepted. For all the speculating that I and others have done, some in fun and some in earnest, it boils down to this (and this is dead serious) the only teams the SEC will accept outright are: North Carolina, (Duke if a requirement of North Carolina), Virginia, Oklahoma, and possibly Texas. The schools we might accept under the right circumstances are: Virginia Tech, N.C. State, Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, and more remotely Oklahoma State.

I don't see us taking T.C.U., Kansas State, Baylor, West Virginia, Texas Tech, Iowa State, or Kansas. I don't see us taking Miami, Wake Forest, Louisville, or any of the Northern ACC schools.

I don't see us caring what other conferences think if and when we make a move. We are the top conference in athletics, about on par with the most profitable overall, and seeking to close the gap on research revenue. It is the latter that will take precedent. That is why Texas and Georgia Tech are not off of the list of possible candidates and why Virginia and North Carolina would be preferred over N.C. State and Virginia Tech. Clemson and F.S.U. are still listed because of state political issues and because they lead the ACC in attendance, are among their most marketable brands, are strong athletically, and are profitable. But it would take a great many things falling into place before we would consider them. I would think that if we move to 16 it would be with North Carolina and Duke. If we move to 18 it will be with North Carolina, Duke, Georgia Tech, and Virginia. Only at 20 would F.S.U. and Clemson come into play because it would take the SEC taking 6 from the ACC and the Big 10 taking 6 from the ACC to dissolve that conference and void their GOR.

What I see as more likely is a move by the Big 10 to 18 and by the SEC to 18. With the Big 10 taking Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas and Connecticut.

Then what you would have would be a new ACC or Big 12 or whatever of:

Boston College, Louisville, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, West Virginia

Clemson, Florida State, Miami, N.C. State, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest

Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, T.C.U., Texas Tech

If Notre Dame goes Big 10 then switch UConn to the new conference. The only reason that the Big 10 would be interested in UConn is Basketball and Hockey (seriously).

If the PAC decides they want a piece of Texas and T.C.U. and Tech go to the PAC then add a directional Florida school and Houston or Tulane to the group. But the SEC is going after AAU schools period. Our fall back will be top name brand schools in states that we need, or simply top name brand schools with a strong national and regional following. We aren't taking anyone that is not in the top 100 academically if we can help it. N.C. State and Oklahoma State are the only two I even mentioned that aren't top 100. Oklahoma is tied with several for 101st.

That's the no BS, no wild speculation, no playful speculation, long and short of it. Now we wait.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2013 05:31 PM by JRsec.)
09-24-2013 05:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - JRsec - 09-24-2013 05:24 PM
SEC Expansion - vandiver49 - 10-11-2013, 08:43 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand - 10thMountain - 05-02-2014, 02:49 PM
RE: B12 - jhawkmvp - 05-02-2014, 11:00 PM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 11-04-2014, 02:34 AM
schools making profits - jhawkmvp - 11-12-2014, 12:32 AM
RE: expansion - oliveandblue - 12-03-2014, 12:41 AM
My wild guess - jhawkmvp - 12-09-2014, 12:39 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 12-25-2014, 11:04 PM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 09-19-2015, 01:41 AM
RE - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 03:15 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 06:35 PM
RE: ? - Transic_nyc - 10-22-2017, 01:02 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 03-05-2018, 11:46 AM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 12-18-2020, 01:45 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 01-26-2021, 10:59 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 01-27-2021, 12:58 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 03-07-2021, 02:25 PM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 03-09-2021, 06:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.