Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
Bookmark and Share
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
(07-24-2013 07:06 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(07-22-2013 07:30 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(07-22-2013 02:14 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  Tennessee has two major problems in terms of in-state recruiting... location and Vanderbilt actually having a pulse in football. The state of Tennessee produces a good amount of SEC talent, but a good percentage of it is in or near Memphis. The shape of Tennessee makes it so that Memphis is closer to about half of the other SEC schools, especially the Mississippi schools. If UT was located in Nashville and Vanderbilt stayed at their Duke/Wake Forest level of football, UT would be in a great position to keep the vast majority of their in-state talent, which alleviates many of the recruiting problems that have been brought up recently. Aside from the occasional 4 or 5 star kid to come out of east Tennessee, they do not have a fool proof recruiting ground. They are pretty much splitting recruits with Vandy in Nashville now, which is a tremendous success for Vandy and a punch to the gut for UT.

That is part of the problem, but that also signifies an even greater problem. I dont think with in state recruiting alone could Tennessee level the playing field. So Vanderbilt is not causing the problem, they are just making it worse. If Tennessee had it's own division and a much stronger chance to get into SEC post season then it could do much better in out of state recruiting.

Look at the current rankings for their recruiting. I just saw today that in one of the rankings Tennessee is ranked 4th in recruiting with having 24 recruits committed already. That would be impressive except...the number one ranked program is Michigan with only 14 recruits. That means Tennessee is just not getting the same quality of recruits as top programs. It is getting quick signings and lots of them which likely means guys that didnt get a whole lot of other top program scholarship options. Talking heads are trying to make the situation look good for Tennessee but once other programs start getting their commit numbers up, Tennessee is gonna drop like a rock.

They need Something big to happen for them.

With regard to in-state talent He1nousOne you're absolutely correct. It wouldn't matter if UT were located in the middle division, the state itself just doesn't produce that much talent.

Vandy being good isn't nearly as damaging as a competitive SCAR, since it mean that you have 4 schools trying to draw talent out of the state of GA. Thus, I am intrigued by the prospect of recruiting the Ohio Valley more. Hopefully that will pan out.

Again, its not that I'm against the Boarder division, I just don't the possibility of winning said division offsets the loss of playing the likes of UGA, 'Bama and UF on a regular basis.

Let me delve further into this for you.

A possible Tennessee schedule should this ever actually happen.

Game 1 - Middle Tennessee State
Game 2 - Fill in the Blank OOC match up
Game 3 - Arkansas
Game 4 - Texas A&M
Game 5 - Ole Miss
Game 6 - Vanderbilt
Game 7 - Florida
Game 8 - South Carolina
Game 9 - Third and final OOC match up
Game 10 - Kentucky
Game 11 - Missouri
Game 12 - West Virginia

Three OOC games, two games against each of the other 3 divisions and then finishing the season with three division games that count for all the marbles.

Two OOC games at the beginning of the season to tune up with or hold an out of conference rivalry game.

Then you have back to back games against each of the other divisions, in this example Tennessee's division first plays the "West" division, then the "Central" division and then finally the "East" division.

They play traditional rivals Vanderbilt and Florida in this schedule despite being in different divisions. The next year they would play Alabama instead of Vanderbilt and Georgia instead of Florida. I personally don't see how playing those teams every other year is all that bad for Tennessee.

They finish off with those three vitally important games in division. By then we will know who the contenders are based upon schedules as only three games are left. That makes every single one of those divisional matchups extremely important and that is how rivalries are made. You even get a nice soft OOC match up before those games start so you can rest some of your guys for a good portion of the game in order to get in the best shape possible for those important division games.

That methodology turns the match ups against Kentucky, Missouri and West Virginia into instant rivalries. We see that in EVERY division in the NFL. The same mechanism works in this scenario too.

If Tennessee beats out West Virginia, Missouri and Kentucky then they land in the SEC Tournament of division champs. How is it bad for Tennessee to have to beat out those programs instead of the likes of Florida, Georgia and South Carolina? I guarantee that would help them land a better coach who would see much more potential of success at Tennessee.
07-24-2013 05:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - He1nousOne - 07-24-2013 05:01 PM
SEC Expansion - vandiver49 - 10-11-2013, 08:43 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand - 10thMountain - 05-02-2014, 02:49 PM
RE: B12 - jhawkmvp - 05-02-2014, 11:00 PM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 11-04-2014, 02:34 AM
schools making profits - jhawkmvp - 11-12-2014, 12:32 AM
RE: expansion - oliveandblue - 12-03-2014, 12:41 AM
My wild guess - jhawkmvp - 12-09-2014, 12:39 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 12-25-2014, 11:04 PM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 09-19-2015, 01:41 AM
RE - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 03:15 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 06:35 PM
RE: ? - Transic_nyc - 10-22-2017, 01:02 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 03-05-2018, 11:46 AM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 12-18-2020, 01:45 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 01-26-2021, 10:59 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 01-27-2021, 12:58 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 03-07-2021, 02:25 PM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 03-09-2021, 06:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.