Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
Bookmark and Share
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
(12-28-2019 10:10 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(12-28-2019 09:44 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  
(12-28-2019 12:09 AM)JRsec Wrote:  Well apparently ABC is going to win the bid on the SEC's T1 revenue and CCG. The reported amount will be no less than 350 million with 2 sources thinking it may in the final form approach 400 million. At 350 million. At 350 million it will increase the SEC's per team payout by 19.7 million. For 2018 that total was 43.7 million. 46 million is a good estimate of this year's possible payout. So roughly by 2024 the SEC would be making more than 66 million per school in payouts.

That's a significant raise and the addition of Texas and Oklahoma could put that total just north of 70 million by 2026. The question is will this be the amount it takes to make Oklahoma say yes, and force Texas to consider coming with them?

What if Oklahoma still insists on Oklahoma State and Texas shows interest? Do we dare go to 18 and pick up Kansas as well? At one time the Texa-homa concept included Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State. At that level of pay would, or even could we, take an Oklahoma State?

If creating a conference with an enhanced academic profile is a strong consideration would it not be best to take Kansas, Texas, Iowa State, and Oklahoma and add 3 AAU schools to the SEC bringing our total to 7 and eclipsing the ACC's total of AAU members in the process?

Is expanding by 4 worth losing that extra 5 million payout for say a more modest increase of 2 million with the additions if they met other needs?

Obviously we should make a play for just 2 schools. But if both Texas and Oklahoma had interest but only if OSU, or even OSU and Tech were involved should we do it?

I look at it this way. With Texas and Oklahoma our economic impact valuation goes from 7.5 billion to 9..5 billion. The best the Big 10 could hope for would be to move from 5.5 billion to 6.8 billion if they added Notre Dame and either North Carolina or Virginia. So the move would lock the SEC in the top slot without any chance of being eclipsed.

It would take us close enough to 70 million that with escalators we should stay a few million ahead of the Big 10 from there on out.

Oklahoma and Texas have solid followings and SEC sized crowds in attendance. Oklahoma State and Texas Tech do not.

Personally I think the move, even with tag-alongs would be prudent because it essentially ends any chance that another conference can surpass our economic strength and since we have the hammer on recruiting territory it pretty well cinches our positions.

That said if we can't just add two, I would prefer to see us go for the academic enhancement.

If Texas insists on Texas Tech do you think we would be better off with simply Oklahoma and Kansas provided OU doesn't have to stay tethered to OSU?

I keep coming back to what Mike Slive said when asked how big can the SEC be? And he said our size was only limited by profit.

What are your thoughts? Jahawkmvp seems to think that 4 might be a winning offer. Some of you have favored going larger. So keeping this discussion just to the Big 12 possibilities what do you think and why?

And whether your preference is 16 or 18 (no 20's at this time as it would be impractical at the monetary levels) and assuming that we do not yet have division less formats to utilize, what would be your preferred configuration? 2x9, or 3x 6 if we could get a waiver?

I replied to this above and kept within your limits, but I've been brainstorming and wondering about 15 too (3 x 5 or yes, divisionless which breaks your rules). My above post stands at 16/18.

But in some ways I think 15 is more natural: here is why: Texas may hesitate to go to the SEC or Big 10. Independence, ACC, or even a reconfigured Big 12 perhaps with yes the Arizona schools or perhaps even USC, etc. Could perhaps make enough to lessen the gap some. But it is a large gap to bridge.

That leaves two brands from the Big 12, OK and Kansas. OK to the Big 10 reunites them with Nebraska, but they are not AAU. Kansas to the SEC reunites them with Missouri, and adds basketball power. The reverse makes more sense but neither conference loses.

If I thought we could get to a division-less format I would certainly entertain adding 1 school. We'll just have to wait and see on that.

But as to your reasoning in the selections here's what I think.

It is to the SEC's benefit if Texas wants to go independent and schmooze a deal with the ACC. And it doesn't really hurt the SEC if Oklahoma heads north because an Oklahoma cut off from regular games in Texas (and I'm assuming all they would have left is the RRR) wouldn't really be a threat to the SEC other than the economic boost they give the Big 10.

In that case Kansas would probably give the SEC exactly what it wants in hoops and would give the current Western Division a Vanderbilt / Kentucky kind of conference game that until just recently the SEC West lacked. But if it is just to 15 then placing Kansas and Missouri in a division with L.S.U., Arkansas, and Texas A&M makes for a fairly week division most years. That's good for L.S.U. and A&M but not so good for say Georgia who would be playing Tennessee (which is getting better), Florida, South Carolina and Kentucky.

I don't think it would be out of line from the other forced division of Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St., and Vandy.

Your thoughts?

Unless you do uneven divisions of 7 and 8, this is going to be an issue. You could do a "north division" and set it up as

TN, Vandy, KY, Missouri, Kansas
Georgia, FL, SC, Alabama, Auburn
A&M, LSU, Ark, ole Miss, Miss St.

But then that north division is weak while the south division (Georgia, etc.) Is loaded.

An advantage to 3x5 is it is simpler to rearrange divisions later at 3x6 (say NC St, Clemson, Florida St.)
12-29-2019 08:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
SEC Expansion - vandiver49 - 10-11-2013, 08:43 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand - 10thMountain - 05-02-2014, 02:49 PM
RE: B12 - jhawkmvp - 05-02-2014, 11:00 PM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 11-04-2014, 02:34 AM
schools making profits - jhawkmvp - 11-12-2014, 12:32 AM
RE: expansion - oliveandblue - 12-03-2014, 12:41 AM
My wild guess - jhawkmvp - 12-09-2014, 12:39 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 12-25-2014, 11:04 PM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 09-19-2015, 01:41 AM
RE - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 03:15 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 06:35 PM
RE: ? - Transic_nyc - 10-22-2017, 01:02 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 03-05-2018, 11:46 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - Soobahk40050 - 12-29-2019 08:32 AM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 12-18-2020, 01:45 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 01-26-2021, 10:59 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 01-27-2021, 12:58 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 03-07-2021, 02:25 PM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 03-09-2021, 06:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.