Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
Bookmark and Share
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
(10-28-2019 05:21 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(10-27-2019 11:29 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(10-27-2019 10:47 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(10-26-2019 11:49 PM)ICThawk Wrote:  Though all of these thoughts have merit, I am pondering that IF the SEC took Kansas & Oklahoma (assuming Texas has demurred), wouldn't that eventually force Texas to join the SEC anyway? I'm thinking that the ACC, B1G and PAC (not to mention 2 of the 3 aren't even in the same timezone as Texas) are all "too far away" for both "boosters" and the "minor" sports, and not much "history" with those schools. That leaves the Big12 or SEC. Texas might survive in a decimated Big12 for a while (like to when their current LHN contract expires) but it's doubtful that a decimated B12 will match the payout of the current B12. Couple that with ESPN probably not "renewing" the LHN and the money of the SEC, not to mention the proximity thereof, would be the only real option. Even if KU & OU leave the B12 for the B1G I think Texas will eventually wind up in the SEC...maybe sooner (no pun intended)..or later...because they can't recreate the SWC and have no other real options other than a "Notre Dame" type of arrangement with a re-constituted Big12, and I doubt that would work for long, even for Texas.

Yes. So then the appropriate question is, "Wouldn't it suit Texas better (provided they knew that either or both of Kansas and Oklahoma were leaving) to take the initiative and craft a move more to their liking and one that made it look like they were in control?"

I believe that answer is of course since that is their nature. They won't like moving without a face saving cover. Enter the Texas legislature with more than a resolution requiring Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech to play annually.

Then a move to the SEC with Tech guarantees UT 7 games inside the state of Texas annually, and still leaves them 3 games with which to schedule Oklahoma annually for the RRR, and to schedule two more Texas schools of a lesser classification for buy games bringing their instate total to 8 games per year which fits their business model.

The move also essentially cuts Oklahoma out of a major physical presence within Texas except for the RRR game in Dallas, relegates T.C.U. and Baylor to a lesser recruiting status, takes away Texas A&M's SEC brand advantage, and gives the Longhorns their old familiar foes and advantages once again. And does all of that while giving them the excuse that they only made the move to protect Texas Tech and to appease the Texas legislature.

The move the SEC would want would be Texas and Oklahoma. But that move would leave UT with too many equal rivals in their new division. A&M, OU, and L.S.U. would be dangerous gauntlet. They would take Tech along instead of OU to reduce that gauntlet to 2 games for a divisional championship. And that new division would essentially be a more TV worthy yet Texas centric division than the Big 12 with easier travel for their fans and a better fit for their sports.

If this happens Oklahoma and Kansas would be likely for the Big 10 and the SEC and Big 10 will have widened the gap further on the ACC and PAC.

And if Kansas and Oklahoma head to the SEC and then Texas wants in (a situation I don't think Texas would ever permit to happen) then yes they would want in as well. That shift might be covered by say a Vanderbilt move to the ACC (only if Vandy wanted it), or possibly just an expansion to 18 with Tech still being the tag along.

With all that is happening with the court system and players compensation, eventually there will be a break from the NCAA. If in the new sports conference reality structure becomes a right for each conference to decide then three divisions of 6 or a divisionless format would accommodate conference sizes of 18 or even 20 if that was desired and remained profitable for the conference.

Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Kansas

It would be a really good combo.

I believe that would be the strongest play to date in realignment. It gives us the entire footprint of the Big 12 minus Iowa and West Virginia. It gives us their best three remaining brands. It keeps the rivalries together. And it leaves a future move to 20 with two remaining slots for the ACC reserving slots for a North Carolina school and Florida State. The rest can be left to hang out to dry.

If we don't raid the ACC I think they add WVU for football gravitas and stand pat waiting for N.D. to go all in.

I still like 3 divisions of 6 but going divisionless would be great too. But adding those four cleans up the table and leaves the SEC in an unassailable position with regard to content.

Divisionless at 18:

10 conference games: 3 annual rivals + 7 (rotate 14 every other year)
8 conference games: 5 annual rivals + 3 (rotate 12 every 4 years)

There may other combos but I think the latter works best.
10-29-2019 12:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
SEC Expansion - vandiver49 - 10-11-2013, 08:43 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand - 10thMountain - 05-02-2014, 02:49 PM
RE: B12 - jhawkmvp - 05-02-2014, 11:00 PM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 11-04-2014, 02:34 AM
schools making profits - jhawkmvp - 11-12-2014, 12:32 AM
RE: expansion - oliveandblue - 12-03-2014, 12:41 AM
My wild guess - jhawkmvp - 12-09-2014, 12:39 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 12-25-2014, 11:04 PM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 09-19-2015, 01:41 AM
RE - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 03:15 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 06:35 PM
RE: ? - Transic_nyc - 10-22-2017, 01:02 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 03-05-2018, 11:46 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - BePcr07 - 10-29-2019 12:42 AM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 12-18-2020, 01:45 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 01-26-2021, 10:59 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 01-27-2021, 12:58 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 03-07-2021, 02:25 PM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 03-09-2021, 06:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.