Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
Bookmark and Share
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
(05-08-2018 05:39 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-08-2018 04:43 PM)XLance Wrote:  
(05-08-2018 02:47 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(05-06-2018 07:17 PM)JRsec Wrote:  I don't disagree with the bolded portion, but if Colorado was the school then the PAC would be in the process of being raided. I don't think Oklahoma or Texas would be headed anywhere if the PAC was up for grabs.

Oklahoma and Notre Dame to the Big 10 is the most economical move the Big 10 can make to 16. Texas and Kansas to the SEC is the most economical move the SEC can make to 16. Do that and add West Virginia and one of T.C.U./Connecticut/or another to the ACC and they are safe at 16 from here on out. Why? Because the SEC and B1G cannot possibly profit by making any addition from the remaining ACC.

Some of the more reliable intel we have at this juncture is that Kansas could very likely be getting ready for the SEC. I think we have to view everything else through that prism.

The move that makes ESPN the most money in the short term is the big one...Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Kansas to the SEC.

This way, the B1G is cut off in the West and they will need ESPN's help to grow in any significant way for the future. That's leverage.

Notre Dame moving to the B1G could cement that league back into the ESPN corner and if a few select schools from the Mid-Atlantic move with them then that would seal the deal, but all these moves don't have to happen at the same time. The Big Ten will renegotiate in about 5 years and that's when they'll expect their biggest windfall.

If you use the American in the meantime to house most of the rest of the Big 12 and you give them decent money then maybe you can give them another boost later if you break up the ACC.

The SEC could pick up a couple more key brands out of the ACC while the B1G gets what they want out of the Mid-Atlantic. The American becomes a fairly solid Power league with leftovers from both the Big 12 and ACC. By contrast, unless the PAC is willing to do something dramatic then they're outta luck for any growth.

So at this point, you don't really have a great deal of balance economically speaking. It could work, but it would bring its own set of problems.

This is actually one of the reasons I suggested Colorado move to the B1G in exchange for the PAC acquiring the remaining Big 12 schools once UT, OU, and KU have departed. That's the PAC's most realistic shot at growing their brand and income by reaching into the Central portion of the country.

While I understand the notion of CU leaving may look like it would create instability for the PAC, I don't see the B1G raiding that league. The distance is simply too great for a move like that to be made and remain cost effective. Travel times alone would be horrendous if there was to be any cohesiveness whatsoever.

If CU leaves purely on the condition that UT, OU, and KU are already out the door then I think it could work. You'd get 4 conferences of 16, a champs only playoff, and a much more tidy way or organizing everything and making sure the financial gaps aren't altogether huge.

BUT...if the B1G gets Oklahoma in all this and if Notre Dame accompanies them then I think the ACC falls anyway although it may take longer. That league's financial outlook is already mediocre with ND on board. Let the Irish depart and it's only a matter of time before they fall so far behind that it won't matter what degree of profitability exists by raiding them. There will be local political pressure within the SEC states to rescue their in-state brethren and elevate them back to relevance.

Really? Total hogwash!
Your comment is better placed here, JR.

Actually X while ESPN will be working hard to keep the family happy, since Skipper isn't heading it anymore, should either the SEC or ACC not deliver as expected, or should they lag in the ratings, I don't think there will be any security moving forward in what is about to be a much more cutthroat business environment for media providers.

If the SEC can't expand in a meaningful way to the West ESPN will have to rethink what they could make off of key ACC brands whether they were placed in the SEC or Big 10. In a content driven world that might mean Kansas and Kentucky to the ACC and a few top football schools to the SEC.

So no it's not hogwash, it's a possibility which under the right circumstances could jump to being a probability or even a reality. And the three days that it was agreed that Clemson and Florida State would be joining the SEC back in 2010 prove just how fickle that relationship can be even with a UNC alum as president of ESPN.

I'm not worried about the ACC holding up our end, JR.
05-08-2018 07:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
SEC Expansion - vandiver49 - 10-11-2013, 08:43 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand - 10thMountain - 05-02-2014, 02:49 PM
RE: B12 - jhawkmvp - 05-02-2014, 11:00 PM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 11-04-2014, 02:34 AM
schools making profits - jhawkmvp - 11-12-2014, 12:32 AM
RE: expansion - oliveandblue - 12-03-2014, 12:41 AM
My wild guess - jhawkmvp - 12-09-2014, 12:39 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 12-25-2014, 11:04 PM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 09-19-2015, 01:41 AM
RE - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 03:15 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 06:35 PM
RE: ? - Transic_nyc - 10-22-2017, 01:02 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 03-05-2018, 11:46 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - XLance - 05-08-2018 07:19 PM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 12-18-2020, 01:45 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 01-26-2021, 10:59 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 01-27-2021, 12:58 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 03-07-2021, 02:25 PM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 03-09-2021, 06:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.