Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
(05-05-2018 01:29 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-05-2018 01:23 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(05-04-2018 08:46 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-04-2018 08:26 PM)XLance Wrote:  
(05-04-2018 04:32 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  That guy is taking a poor approach to fundraising although that may be a sign that there's some degree of desperation within the administration.

My opinion has been that ESPN is going to ultimately rescue Kansas. They have a national fan base and the network is going to want/need as much content as they can get especially in the age of ESPN+.

If KU can prove themselves as a halfway decent attraction in football then I think ESPN has no problem pulling the trigger. Technically, KU won't be worth the money to the B1G or the SEC, but they would likely be worth the money to ESPN so I think they wouldn't have a problem overpaying for them a little.

He is probably very frustrated.
Kansas officials know what they need to do, but there are no guarantees and $350 Million is a lot to spend no matter which level of conference (G or P ) Kansas will find itself in in the next few years..

http://www.kansan.com/sports/weekly-deba...4e82d.html

With many projecting the next big wave of conference realignment to begin in 2023, that will allow Kansas football to include their completely new renovations — with a five year projection — on their resume.

Instead of being left in the dust with the possibility of other Big 12 members departing, Kansas can thus be allowed to lead the pack and make the decisive move.

So what leaves me a bit puzzled here is that only the SEC has stadium and luxury box standards that we seek from member schools. So why would Kansas throw 350 million at a football stadium and indoor practice facilities? Only in the SEC does every member school have indoor practice facilities. Only in the SEC would they need to prove their investment in football?

Is it just me or has anyone else considered the peculiar nature of this?

It's not just you. My thought would be that someone, somewhere has told Kansas that they need to step their game up.

I can only think of two reasons why a school would agree to spend that much money on a project.

1. They've been guaranteed it will pay off and they just need to make a good faith effort.

2. They've been told they have no shot unless they do something drastic.

I tend to think it's the former in KU's situation because they are not without stature...flagship school, national fan base with an elite basketball brand, and they proved in the Mangino days that they can have a pulse if they put their mind to it.

I believe it was Sankey who said a while back that we should look to our previous additions to get a clue on what our approach would be for the next round. He mentioned AAU schools and contiguous states. Well, we're not getting any ACC schools so Kansas fits that stated criteria about as well as anyone.

I hadn't really thought about it from the angle of luxury seating and amenities, but you're right about that...the SEC is going to put more emphasis on that than anyone else.

It was an unnamed Kansas official who was quoted a few years back as saying the SEC would be an ideal landing spot. An unnamed SEC official was quoted in the same article saying that wasn't a direction they thought they would go in, but he didn't say "never" or "no interest." Missouri was a bridge into the region and Kansas secures a pretty significant slice of that region. They are the yin and yang, if you will, of that part of the country.

But yes, it's always made more sense to me that Kansas would drop that kind of money on football to get the attention of the SEC rather than necessarily to appease anyone else.

And it's always made more sense to me that a conservative state that was centered more around life in small cities and small towns as opposed to metropolitan mega centers while also being the sort of place that is passionate about local college athletics would be a better fit in the SEC as opposed to the B1G regardless of any Midwestern flavor.

Alright, we are in agreement on reasoning. So the next question is straight forward. Who comes with them?

My theory a while back was that ESPN would try to push Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Kansas into the SEC because I felt like those were the products that would profit the network the most and that the SEC was the most convenient place to stick them.

But that's just a theory.
05-05-2018 01:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
SEC Expansion - vandiver49 - 10-11-2013, 08:43 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand - 10thMountain - 05-02-2014, 02:49 PM
RE: B12 - jhawkmvp - 05-02-2014, 11:00 PM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 11-04-2014, 02:34 AM
schools making profits - jhawkmvp - 11-12-2014, 12:32 AM
RE: expansion - oliveandblue - 12-03-2014, 12:41 AM
My wild guess - jhawkmvp - 12-09-2014, 12:39 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 12-25-2014, 11:04 PM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 09-19-2015, 01:41 AM
RE - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 03:15 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 06:35 PM
RE: ? - Transic_nyc - 10-22-2017, 01:02 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 03-05-2018, 11:46 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - AllTideUp - 05-05-2018 01:39 AM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 12-18-2020, 01:45 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 01-26-2021, 10:59 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 01-27-2021, 12:58 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 03-07-2021, 02:25 PM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 03-09-2021, 06:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.