Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
Let's assume for a moment that the plan for the Power conferences is to separate and form another division. Now, they wouldn't have to leave the NCAA to do this so I'm working with the idea that we get another tier of Division 1. Perhaps instead of FBS we call it the Football Premier Subdivision? The name doesn't matter right now of course. All that can be decided later.

Let's say every member of the P5 gets in along with Notre Dame and BYU. Let's also say for sake of argument that Cincinnati and UConn make it in as additions some way, somehow.

Is there still motivation for realignment at this point? I think so. The money disparity between the SEC/B1G and everyone else will still be present.

1) What does the SEC want? Well, they want Oklahoma, an NC school and a VA school, probably Florida State and Clemson, and more AAU schools. They're not going to get everything obviously, but they'll get some if not most of it.

2) What does the B1G want? More AAU schools, an NC school and a VA school, and possibly Kansas and Oklahoma. They'll get some of it, but not everything they want.

3) What does the ACC want? To survive, that's about it.

4) What does the Big 12 want? Again, to survive. That's about it.

5) What does the PAC 12 want? A presence in the Central Time Zone? A few more brands that will make their network more attractive? It's going to be hard for them to make any substantial gains though.

Now for the SEC's part, I like the idea of taking a version of the Texahoma 4. Forming an "alliance" with the ACC to make sure that league gets a network and is sustainable will serve the interests of the SEC in the long term. We don't need the B1G invading our region.

What was the stipulation about Notre Dame having to join the ACC? Something about having to do it before 2024 or leave the league? I can never remember that. Let's say ND joins before the GOR is up. They can add Cincinnati to reach a solid 16.

Let's say Kansas and UConn join the B1G.

What about the remnants of the Big 12?

The PAC might take Texas Tech and TCU although I'm not sure about that. Perhaps they take Kansas State and Iowa State although I'm even less sure about that. It should be noted that these schools have essentially nothing in common culturally with a West Coast centered league. Will that matter to one party or the other? I don't know. Right now, the only schools I included that aren't in one of the Power conferences are BYU and West Virginia. Not sure I see a place for them.

OR...

What we could see happen is the formation of a new leftover league that focuses on these programs that might make the cut with the split to a new division.

West: San Diego State, UNLV, Boise State, BYU, New Mexico, Colorado State

Central: Iowa State, Kansas State, Texas Tech, TCU, SMU, Houston

The thought also occurs to me that a school like UCF might be of benefit to the SEC. I know, I know...that's a bit crazy. But if the SEC wants a bigger slice of FL and neither FSU or Miami are available then I think they actually make sense. UCF is a huge school with a growing alumni base and an emphasis on research. Orlando continues to grow and according to some polls they have already surpassed Miami in popularity within the state of FL. I mean, if Texas can support 5 major programs and NC can support 4 then it does make sense that a huge market like FL can support an additional Power program. The SEC would definitely have the majority of college fans in the state at that point.

Considering the investments in DI sports they've already made at UCF, I think we can expect them to push their way into a new Premier division. I don't see this new FPS being able to keep out programs of that caliber and simultaneously maintaining any reasonable criteria for entry. So what if the SEC did make a long play and take a school like that? How about West Virginia for a slice of the Mid-Atlantic?

West: Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Missouri
South: Texas A&M, Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State
Central: Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky
East: Florida, UCF, Georgia, South Carolina, West Virginia

Thoughts?
04-07-2016 12:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
SEC Expansion - vandiver49 - 10-11-2013, 08:43 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand - 10thMountain - 05-02-2014, 02:49 PM
RE: B12 - jhawkmvp - 05-02-2014, 11:00 PM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 11-04-2014, 02:34 AM
schools making profits - jhawkmvp - 11-12-2014, 12:32 AM
RE: expansion - oliveandblue - 12-03-2014, 12:41 AM
My wild guess - jhawkmvp - 12-09-2014, 12:39 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 12-25-2014, 11:04 PM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 09-19-2015, 01:41 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - AllTideUp - 04-07-2016 12:07 AM
RE - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 03:15 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 06:35 PM
RE: ? - Transic_nyc - 10-22-2017, 01:02 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 03-05-2018, 11:46 AM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 12-18-2020, 01:45 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 01-26-2021, 10:59 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 01-27-2021, 12:58 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 03-07-2021, 02:25 PM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 03-09-2021, 06:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.