Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
Bookmark and Share
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
(12-21-2015 03:38 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  If I were the SEC, It would depend on what my goal was.

For 16: Kansas and Oklahoma
For 18: Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and West Virginia

Kansas for basketball.
Oklahoma for football, basketball, and national appeal.
Texas because it's Texas.
West Virginia for its likeness to SEC programs along with a decent football program and a good basketball program.

I would consider Oklahoma St only if Oklahoma declined.
I would consider Baylor only if Texas declined.
I would not consider TCU or Texas Tech. TCU is football-centric while Baylor has strong football and basketball. Texas is too far away.
I would not consider Kansas St. Their football and basketball are both typically okay, but neither program are as Kansas is to basketball.
I would consider Iowa St if the goal was beyond 18.

(03-12-2016 12:06 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(03-11-2016 11:37 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(12-21-2015 03:38 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  If I were the SEC, It would depend on what my goal was.

For 16: Kansas and Oklahoma
For 18: Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and West Virginia

Kansas for basketball.
Oklahoma for football, basketball, and national appeal.
Texas because it's Texas.
West Virginia for its likeness to SEC programs along with a decent football program and a good basketball program.

I would consider Oklahoma St only if Oklahoma declined.
I would consider Baylor only if Texas declined.
I would not consider TCU or Texas Tech. TCU is football-centric while Baylor has strong football and basketball. Texas is too far away.
I would not consider Kansas St. Their football and basketball are both typically okay, but neither program are as Kansas is to basketball.
I would consider Iowa St if the goal was beyond 18.

(03-11-2016 07:07 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(03-11-2016 05:58 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(03-05-2016 04:33 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  True, but adding OSU doesn't really hurt any of the teams east of the Mississippi. From our perspective, we want ZERO Big 12 South teams coming in and diminishing our SEC recruiting advantage in Texas nor do we want to be in a division that's basically the Big 12 again (Mizzou will probably agree with that sentiment as well). So while we could tolerate ONE okie school for the purpose of conference goals, someone like KU, VT, NC State, FSU etc. is an infinitely more valuable use of #16 than OSU

I agree with this from a litigation stand point. If the SEC lands OU at 15, if we were to grab another school from the B12, Baylor would not be the only one sueing us for any damages they would take from a smaller TV contract and other revenues by the B12 taking in replacement schools. WVU might be the exception, but we'll ignore that one for now. I would first contact VT about that 16th spot. If they are still content in the ACC, the next two options should be NC State and FSU.

FSU would bring the greatest value to the overall contract with excellent match ups, but would greatly harm and possibly begin the collapse of the ACC. If the SEC rounded off with NC State, we'd be giving up on landing UNC and just doing what is best for the conference.

I would absolutely love for the SEC to move to 16 with Oklahoma and Virginia Tech, or Oklahoma and Florida State. I don't think we can get N.C. State unless we did something unthinkable and took Duke, UNC and N.C. State. We'd probably also have to take both Virginia's to get it done. At that point you may as well go after Notre Dame and settle for Georgia Tech to complete it to 20. That's not my dream SEC.

If the SEC were to go to 20 the only acceptable programs to me would be Florida State, Oklahoma, Clemson, and Texas to 18. To 20 you need to go ahead and complete the footprint with a North Carolina and Virginia school. But the first four fit athletically. The latter two would struggle to be middling.

I still think NC State could have an A&M moment of wanting greater visibility while pulling a Mizzou with a groundswell movement out of the ACC if there was an open spot available. VT seems more willing to listen than act, but I would still give them a call again.

N.C. State has a problem that they are incapable of addressing. All of the state universities fall under the Board of Regents (Governors) or what ever they are called of the University of North Carolina System. That body is composed largely of Tar Heel graduates. N.C. State cannot leave without the blessing of North Carolina period. If they wanted to leave on their own they could not. It's a state issue, not an university one. Virginia Tech may be under some sense of obligation to Virginia but they are not constrained in the same way that North Carolina State is.

Hmmmm....so NC State would need political muscle and massive support from NCSU to get that going. Ouch. So, if VT said no, and then NCSU couldn't pull the trigger, FSU would probably be the most likely to move. If ESPN blocked that move, look back to B12 at KU or WVU. All those fail, ride it out at 15.
03-12-2016 01:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
SEC Expansion - vandiver49 - 10-11-2013, 08:43 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand - 10thMountain - 05-02-2014, 02:49 PM
RE: B12 - jhawkmvp - 05-02-2014, 11:00 PM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 11-04-2014, 02:34 AM
schools making profits - jhawkmvp - 11-12-2014, 12:32 AM
RE: expansion - oliveandblue - 12-03-2014, 12:41 AM
My wild guess - jhawkmvp - 12-09-2014, 12:39 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 12-25-2014, 11:04 PM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 09-19-2015, 01:41 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - murrdcu - 03-12-2016 01:03 AM
RE - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 03:15 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 06:35 PM
RE: ? - Transic_nyc - 10-22-2017, 01:02 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 03-05-2018, 11:46 AM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 12-18-2020, 01:45 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 01-26-2021, 10:59 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 01-27-2021, 12:58 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 03-07-2021, 02:25 PM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 03-09-2021, 06:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.