Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
Bookmark and Share
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
RE: expansion
There are two angles you can take:

1. This is a political affair that used thinly veiled excuses ("making the numbers work") as a way to justify their means.

2. UAB are the canary in the coal mine. Things are about to get worse, and other school systems will this decision and use it as precedent to make even nastier choices.

People talk about FBS realignment and expansion - but in truth we could actually end up talking about adjustment and consolidation. Programs at the P5 and G5 level that want to hang around (read: a lot of these programs are the ones that were around in the olden days) will likely have to band into new and uncommon groups as a means of survival. This new "normal" will be a cultural shock for a while, but I don't doubt that over a long period of time you'll see new rivalries emerge and new traditions being formed.

It's going to get really bad before it gets even decent.

The new G5 model will be based on financial and institutional similarities. I don't think geography is as important at this level as there are a few other base concerns that need to be addressed. The American is a jacked up zombie conference - but the truth of the matter is that the AAC IS the new "normal" for most of the programs in that league.

P5 super-conferences will likely consolidate into quadrants (or five sectionals) - and will be designed around mixing the old territorial wars with high-stakes glamour matchups. The SEC is pretty close to completion in this regard.

JR and vandiver are in Camp #2. I'm in Camp #1 - for now. I think an underrated survival factor for G5 programs will be their political influence and strength within a region. Are they chained to another school? Are they a permanent underling that is restricted in growth? Are they mostly independent from state influences? Are they a land grant or flagship?

Private schools fund themselves in house and will make decisions without much state support OR state oversight. The freedom is a bit of a poisoned chalice in that regard - but it beats out being an underling. The only schools that are likely in a better political spot than the private schools are the "golden children" of their state. They have access to a wider fan base and have access to some state funds.

I hate to say this boys, but the end of UAB football raises more questions than it answers.

The next program to drop football (if it is to happen) will be what tips the REAL poker hand at play.

Imagine that we're in a game of Texas Hold'em....

I think that at this point everyone's been given their pair of cards. Each player sees everyone's face-up card (inherent school traits) - but has no knowledge of everyone's hole card (hidden realities and dirty secrets). The initial round of bets have been made, and only rare instances of folding have taken place...

...but now the flop is coming and we're starting to see the tall stacks rubbing chips for a raise. Anyone that doesn't have a chance as something is likely to fold next, and then from there we'll hit the turn card...

...and the turn card will be when a new D4 criteria set is revealed. This may not be outwardly said - but rather implied to remove the last few stragglers.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2014 12:45 AM by oliveandblue.)
12-03-2014 12:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
SEC Expansion - vandiver49 - 10-11-2013, 08:43 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand - 10thMountain - 05-02-2014, 02:49 PM
RE: B12 - jhawkmvp - 05-02-2014, 11:00 PM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 11-04-2014, 02:34 AM
schools making profits - jhawkmvp - 11-12-2014, 12:32 AM
RE: expansion - oliveandblue - 12-03-2014 12:41 AM
My wild guess - jhawkmvp - 12-09-2014, 12:39 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 12-25-2014, 11:04 PM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 09-19-2015, 01:41 AM
RE - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 03:15 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 06:35 PM
RE: ? - Transic_nyc - 10-22-2017, 01:02 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 03-05-2018, 11:46 AM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 12-18-2020, 01:45 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 01-26-2021, 10:59 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 01-27-2021, 12:58 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 03-07-2021, 02:25 PM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 03-09-2021, 06:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.