Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
Bookmark and Share
jhawkmvp Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Kansas
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
(11-14-2014 04:30 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(11-14-2014 11:37 AM)CintiFan Wrote:  
(11-14-2014 08:36 AM)XLance Wrote:  If the B1G stiffs ESPN.....then it's on.

ESPN will move Missouri and Arkansas to the Big 12 and they will invite BYU.
Florida State will move to the SEC.
Kentucky, West Virginia and Notre Dame join the ACC.
40 teams aligned in a 12, 12 16 configuration, marketed together will bury anything the B1G and PAC could ever put on TV. Two great football conferences spread out over three time zones. The best basketball conference ever assembled. Plus baseball, soccer, women's softball, track, lacrosse, you name it......it's the best. Intersectional play between the three would be like bowl season and the final four wrapped into one.

Delany won't stiff ESPN. He'll play ESPN and Fox off against one another to get the maximum value and in the end divide the pie up in a way that keeps both networks interested and competing with each other.

I also don't necessarily see ESPN having the power to dictate the result JR lays out. That's a lot of presidents, trustees, donors and alumni support to line up to make it happen. ESPN has lots of power, of course, but the schools will not fall in line just because ESPN says jump.

Remember the Big East? Aresco says he has to think about the ESPN low offer and voila. B.C.'s president openly spoke of ESPN's power there. ESPN realized that once Delany caught on that some of the prime Big East properties could be lost to the Big 10 and suddenly Pitt and Syracuse are in the ACC. So out of the former Big East the ACC bleeds them for B.C., Miami, Pitt & Syracuse and even land their hybrid partner Notre Dame on the same terms. ESPN has a lot more power than most posters realize. ESPN was worried about the prime properties they wanted in the Big 12 once FOX through YES bought into the BTN. In come Texas A&M and Missouri and suddenly Texas and Kansas have prime T3 deals. The only property that got away so to speak was Oklahoma who signed a tidy T3 deal with FOX. So far ESPN has come out way ahead in the realignment game. I have no doubt but what they will continue to do so.

On the Big 10 issue however, I strongly suspect that Delany will do exactly as you say. The conversation bait was "what if he doesn't". That question opens a quite different set of possibilities.

Now as to XLance's suggestion I would say this, there are presently 39 schools accounted for between the Big 12, SEC, and ACC. Why not do one of the following? Drop 4 from the Big 12 with realignment with the PAC for increased interest in that conference, add one, then divide the three conferences into 6 six team divisions under one banner and one network. Or, simply add one and break into 8 five team divisions and do the same.

Region 1 Division 1: Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State

Region 1 Division 2: Baylor, Brigham Young, Texas, T.C.U., Texas Tech

Region 2 Division 1: Arkansas, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Missouri, Texas A&M

Region 2 Division 2: Alabama, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Mississippi State, Tennessee

Region 3 Division 1: Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Georgia, Miami, Vanderbilt

Region 3 Division 2: Duke, North Carolina, N.C. State, South Carolina, Wake Forest,

Region 4 Division 1: Kentucky, Louisville, Virginia, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

Region 4 Division 2: Boston College, Connecticut, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Syracuse

You play the 4 schools in your division, rotate 5 from the other regions, and have 3 permanent rivals.

Now I ask you is there a bad division there? I don't think so. The network footprint would be huge as would its content. The leverage would be huge too and probably the reason this won't come to pass. Academically you would have 11 AAU schools and several privates that while not AAU are ranked quite highly.

Now regions would consist of two divisions. The division champs play down to 4 regional champions which play down to two super regional champs. Those two are automatic qualifiers for the 4 team playoff.

It would basically be the two conference scenario in the end. The B1G and PAC would do something similar to counter. Have conference playoffs then have the conference final be the national semi-finals (Sugar and Rose Bowls) and the winners square off in the championship game (Bid out each year to highest bidder). Be crazy though not having early season match ups with PAC and B1G schools. I'd miss those. The OOC P5 match-ups are always fun to see how you compare and for bragging rights.

Would be a winner for me just because it would all be decided on the field. No more beauty pageant. I hate the beauty pageant aspect of it all. This year could be a great example if the 4th school in the playoff has 2 losses. There would be many schools that would have legitimate claims to that fourth spot.

I think eventually something similar will happen, but I think it is too radical for university presidents at this time unless the money is just too insane to turn down. They are still holding onto those corrupt bowls that rape them on tickets and other things just so they can get free perks for themselves. For the most part they do not seem very visionary in any way.
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2014 09:24 AM by jhawkmvp.)
11-16-2014 09:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
SEC Expansion - vandiver49 - 10-11-2013, 08:43 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand - 10thMountain - 05-02-2014, 02:49 PM
RE: B12 - jhawkmvp - 05-02-2014, 11:00 PM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 11-04-2014, 02:34 AM
schools making profits - jhawkmvp - 11-12-2014, 12:32 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - jhawkmvp - 11-16-2014 09:09 AM
RE: expansion - oliveandblue - 12-03-2014, 12:41 AM
My wild guess - jhawkmvp - 12-09-2014, 12:39 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 12-25-2014, 11:04 PM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 09-19-2015, 01:41 AM
RE - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 03:15 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 06:35 PM
RE: ? - Transic_nyc - 10-22-2017, 01:02 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 03-05-2018, 11:46 AM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 12-18-2020, 01:45 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 01-26-2021, 10:59 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 01-27-2021, 12:58 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 03-07-2021, 02:25 PM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 03-09-2021, 06:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.