Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
Bookmark and Share
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
(11-07-2014 02:16 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(11-07-2014 01:42 PM)XLance Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 06:30 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 08:57 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 01:30 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  You touch upon something that seems quite lost upon many jhawk. Imagine the combination of ESPN, the SEC and WVU in regards to pushing the SEC brand up into the Beltway. It isn't about how much clout WVU has in that area right now. It is about how much clout they would have after having the ESPN propaganda machine working in that direction as well as having the SEC brand backing them.

It seems to me to be a case of folks having a lack of vision in regards to what ESPN and the SEC could do with WVU.

H! the exact thing applies to the ACC and the B1G.
Right now the ACC and the B1G each are about equal in viewership in the NE. The ACC on the back of Notre Dame and the B1G on the broad shoulders of Penn State.
The ACC could use WVU as an old "eastern indy" to help "top" the B1G in the NE market. Of course the opposite is true and the B1G could bury the ACC in the NE with the inclusion of West Virginia.
I think that there is a real possibility that Delany's next move (if it is to 16) would be a play for a combination of West Virginia and KENTUCKY. It is what I would do.
Knowing that Kansas would not likely join the SEC, the B1G could swing back around and pick up Kansas and Missouri if they decided to go to 18.
Bill Stewart appears to have been correct when he stated that one of the three (ACC, SEC, or the B1G) would pick up West Virginia before realignment was over.

Look, I am going to assume you are being truthful in that you actually believe this. Generally we try not to troll each other here and this is coming from someone who loves to troll folks over on the main forum. To think though that the Big Ten would go with West Virginia and Kentucky....you don't understand the Big Ten perspective. I get it if you think it is a good idea but your perspective is very much different from the Big Ten perspective.

I have actually made mention in the past about how West Virginia in the Big Ten makes good sense in an athletic perspective. One East team and one West team would make for an easy division between four divisions. The combo of Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers and West Virginia is pretty sweet. I don't see it happening though and Kentucky just doesn't fit, sorry.

If the ACC was willing to take WVU though and if they were insistant on getting WVU instead of a third Texas program then I definitely could see it. I know JR will say no way to what I am about to say but ECU is a strong candidate for the one single G5 program that is left to get into the P5(P4). We all know the SEC desperately wants into North Carolina. If the ACC felt more strongly about continuing to counter the Big Ten in the Beltway then getting West Virginia is a very strong move for the ACC.

ECU to the SEC is as crazy of a conversation piece as UConn to the Big Ten is.

I believe both are strategic moves.
Can you really explain Rutgers and Maryland?

You are correct in that I really don't understand the Big Ten perspective, but I do understand marketing and dynamics. West Virginia in the hands of the ACC or the SEC could do more damage to the B1G from a market standpoint than the embarrassment of the B1G for taking them in.
And Kentucky? Ego trip for Delany (he was able to get an ACC school, could he snag a SEC school too)? Attempt to keep up with the new ACC in hoops? A school that would look like a B1G school if the academics were just a little bit better? Looks good on the map? Pushes the borders of the Big Ten out to give the core schools a little breathing room? Take your pick.
If I were Delany and if I were going to 18 it would be with Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky and West Virginia.

If Delany wanted an SEC school his most likely candidate to try for (outside of perhaps Missouri) would be Vanderbilt. But really do you believe that his ego is driving the decisions to take Maryland and Rutgers? I don't. He was building a bridge to Virginia and trying to isolate Syracuse.

Face it the grand slam for the Big 10 at 18 would be Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, and Notre Dame. The three run homer would be the same but replacing Notre Dame with Syracuse. Any of those two combinations nails down the Northeast and Beltway and maximizes the eyeballs. Maryland was not an attempt to raid a school from the ACC. It was an attempt to destabilize it. Nebraska was not an attempt to raid the Big 12. It was an obvious target that extended the footprint of the Big 10. And moreover if Delany had wanted Missouri they were ready. He passed, and for good reason. The Big 10 already had the St.Louis and Kansas City markets. There were more eyeballs and money to be made by taking Rutgers. It is a game of markets and money in which his rules dictate AAU status and preferably large state schools. He bent the rules for Nebraska. He will ignore the "large state" and "state" part to land Virginia, North Carolina and Duke. And I keep mentioning Duke because I don't see North Carolina going anywhere without them.

JR, Vanderbilt does not fit the profile of a Big Ten school (it does not really fit the profile of a SEC school either).
Vanderbilt does fit the profile of the ACC where it could join with the six private schools and the 5 other publics that act and function like privates.

UVa, Dook and Carolina will fight just as hard to stay out of the SEC and B1G as Notre Dame will to keep their football program independent. I understand what Delany views as "pie in the sky", what said is actually doable.
I do believe that West Virginia holds the balance of power for the battle of the hearts and eyeballs of northeastern college football fans which is why either the ACC or the B1G will hold their nose and eventually make the call to Morgantown.
11-08-2014 11:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
SEC Expansion - vandiver49 - 10-11-2013, 08:43 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand - 10thMountain - 05-02-2014, 02:49 PM
RE: B12 - jhawkmvp - 05-02-2014, 11:00 PM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 11-04-2014, 02:34 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - XLance - 11-08-2014 11:27 AM
schools making profits - jhawkmvp - 11-12-2014, 12:32 AM
RE: expansion - oliveandblue - 12-03-2014, 12:41 AM
My wild guess - jhawkmvp - 12-09-2014, 12:39 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 12-25-2014, 11:04 PM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 09-19-2015, 01:41 AM
RE - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 03:15 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 06:35 PM
RE: ? - Transic_nyc - 10-22-2017, 01:02 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 03-05-2018, 11:46 AM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 12-18-2020, 01:45 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 01-26-2021, 10:59 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 01-27-2021, 12:58 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 03-07-2021, 02:25 PM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 03-09-2021, 06:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.