Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
(05-07-2014 11:57 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 11:19 PM)JRsec Wrote:  I always figured it would be you guys if the Big 10 called. But face it, the property war for the last 9 schools is about to happen. I look for ESPN to try to lock down Texas, Kansas, and pull Oklahoma away from FOX. Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, West Virginia and Baylor will then be looking for ins.

First the autonomy within or without the NCAA will be decided.
Second they'll figure out how many privates want out.
Third the networks and conferences by proxy will try to sew up the last 9 pieces of the puzzle.

I think Delany will fake east and make a play for two of Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas and that will force ESPN into trying to place them in either the SEC or ACC.

When all of this first got started with the departure of Colorado and Nebraska I then thought that Texas and Kansas would go Big 10, Oklahoma and West Virginia would go SEC, that Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech would find their way into the PAC (especially if the PAC failed to sell interest in their network) and that Connecticut would go ACC. That could still happen but now I think if that scenario unfolded that the SEC might look at Oklahoma and Baylor and that West Virginia might go ACC.

First, I like how you state the SEC being quiet is somehow a portend of things to come. I automatically hear The Omen soundtrack playing in my head.

But to your second point, how many private schools do you actually think want out? Everyone presumes Wake and Vandy and schools of their ilk, but I have a feeling that with institutions like Tulane making major investments in an on campus stadium, that you would see little to no movements from the privates.

Finally, by virtue of the conference contracts that are locked up, NBC and CBS are going to remain bit players on the CFB side of broadcasting. As such, ESPN needs FOX to be a major player/partner just so at the very least the WWL can stave off accusations of having a monopoly. So while Texas to ESPN is almost a given, I think FOX/B1G/PAC conglomerate needs to somehow land OU, KU and TT for this endgame to have any chance of working out and maintaining an above board perception.

Really Vandiver I only see 1 private that might opt out over stipend costs and that is Wake. Union issues if they arise at all might make Northwestern or a couple of others rethink their positions vis a vis scholarship athletics. But that said just 1 private opting out of a P5 conference changes many dynamics.

If I'm not mistaken I was making the point that NBC was much more likely to look for a CBS type deal and therefore would likely not be a major player. With the Big 10 T1 rights up for negotiation the crack is there for someone like NBC to land a CBS like deal. But your thinking on the split of the Big 12 might not necessarily be a given. Oklahoma will likely move with Texas. I've said before that when ESPN bought Kansas's T3 rights that their contract was essentially equivalent to the FOX deal with OU and I think that is by design should a swap ever be necessary. But we'll see. Texas Tech, Kansas State, Iowa State, and Oklahoma State will be up for grabs to anyone who wants them. I do think the Big 10 or PAC have a legit shot at Kansas.

If you keep hearing the theme to the Omen visit your nearest Catholic Church and ask the priest on duty to call an exorcist. Possession is a bad thing for a Navy guy to have to deal with. Take care, JR

BTW: No news on the SECN contract front with no solid details available until the end of the 2015-16 year, no action on 9 conference games, no addressing of the 6-2-1 scheduling format, no addressing of permanent cross over rivals, and all of that inaction (or silence) indicates to me that the SEC doesn't need or want to address issues that will be subject to change within the next two years anyway as any such action would be wasted time. I also think there is an open end on the SECN deal that is variable upon additions, but well see about that too. Like I posted somewhere else we have three issues before us that must be taken in order. 1. To ascertain what autonomy we will have either in or outside of the NCAA. 2. To wait and see if there are any schools private or otherwise that choose not to participate in the proposals of full cost of tuition and stipends. 3. Making the final moves for the long term with regard to realignment. I think this last step is a must because once the rest of the changes are in place we will need a long duration of stasis for all fans to once again become routinized in their seasonal support of their favorite teams. Conference networks will also help to push this. I also think the need to move to a four champions model, if for no other reason than the accommodation of all markets for the playoffs is an eventual essential.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2014 02:07 PM by JRsec.)
05-07-2014 01:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
SEC Expansion - vandiver49 - 10-11-2013, 08:43 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand - 10thMountain - 05-02-2014, 02:49 PM
RE: B12 - jhawkmvp - 05-02-2014, 11:00 PM
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - JRsec - 05-07-2014 01:54 PM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 11-04-2014, 02:34 AM
schools making profits - jhawkmvp - 11-12-2014, 12:32 AM
RE: expansion - oliveandblue - 12-03-2014, 12:41 AM
My wild guess - jhawkmvp - 12-09-2014, 12:39 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 12-25-2014, 11:04 PM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 09-19-2015, 01:41 AM
RE - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 03:15 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 06:35 PM
RE: ? - Transic_nyc - 10-22-2017, 01:02 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 03-05-2018, 11:46 AM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 12-18-2020, 01:45 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 01-26-2021, 10:59 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 01-27-2021, 12:58 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 03-07-2021, 02:25 PM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 03-09-2021, 06:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.