Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
(05-02-2014 11:10 AM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  We have talked about this a lot, JR, and you know my love for flagships. However, above profile should be a single focused commitment and appreciation to be in the conference, so I am having a hard time accepting Texas, Oklahoma, North Carolina, or Virginia. Also, what I want and what is plausible are different. This is just a gut feeling, but I think the overwhelming PR and local interest success for the SECN is really surprising many people, especially TV folks. DirecTV and Comcast have both taken a shot at artificially creating opposition and wishy-washy assurances about the Network, and the locals are seeing through it and demanding positive action on their part. Is there any way they get this response out of the Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, or even VA/NC love triangle? I don't think so. I also do not see Texas relinquishing their power and authority as the head of the Big 12, and Oklahoma will follow whatever they do.

Again, this is all gut, but I just don't see an ACC Network channel materializing, and I don't think Texas will bail out ESPN by taking their ball and joining the ACC with friends. ESPN knows they can deal the death blow to every other network with skin in the college game by winning the upcoming Big 10 contract. I'm not sure Fox is in a position to overbid on this one. I think Delany's lust for the east coast will result in finally taking Syracuse and Boston College, and he will add another 4 ACC schools to get to 6 total. I would bet on Syracuse, Boston College, Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, and Georgia Tech.

In such a scenario, I am going with your "I" option, and the SEC helps clean up the dissolution of the ACC as we know it by taking Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina State, and Virginia Tech. This leaves Miami, Wake Forest, Louisville, Pittsburgh, and Notre Dame. If West Virginia were to stay in the Big 12, then Louisville and Pittsburgh would be excellent additions for them. If I'm Wake Forest, I think I would drop to FCS football and accept the assuredly forthcoming invite from the Big East for all other sports. Miami should strongly consider full independence along with Notre Dame. They would likely have guaranteed games with Notre Dame, BYU, and Florida State, and I think they would easily fill out a schedule with SEC and AAC schools.

Anyway, my long answer to your question is option I) Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina State, Virginia Tech. I think any and all possible combinations involving those 4 schools would be a positive for the conference.

I understand and appreciate your logic. I do think that your scenario carries a good percentage for coming true, just not a majority percentage for becoming reality. But then I don't give any of the scenarios a majority percentage for coming true. I give further realignment within 5 years a 95% chance of happening but how that goes down is anyone's guess.

That said if Texas can't acquire solid conference mates who are peers I think they will move. ESPN does have influence over them should that happen because of the duration of the LHN contract (July 30th, 2031).

Now if Miami, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, and Louisville joined the Big 12 that would IMO make a difference. Then Cincinnati and B.Y.U. make sense to 16. Do you see any other possible pick ups for the SEC in your scenario? I like 18 personally and that would be fine with me, but would there be an option to 20?
05-02-2014 11:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
SEC Expansion - vandiver49 - 10-11-2013, 08:43 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - JRsec - 05-02-2014 11:30 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand - 10thMountain - 05-02-2014, 02:49 PM
RE: B12 - jhawkmvp - 05-02-2014, 11:00 PM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 11-04-2014, 02:34 AM
schools making profits - jhawkmvp - 11-12-2014, 12:32 AM
RE: expansion - oliveandblue - 12-03-2014, 12:41 AM
My wild guess - jhawkmvp - 12-09-2014, 12:39 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 12-25-2014, 11:04 PM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 09-19-2015, 01:41 AM
RE - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 03:15 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 06:35 PM
RE: ? - Transic_nyc - 10-22-2017, 01:02 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 03-05-2018, 11:46 AM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 12-18-2020, 01:45 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 01-26-2021, 10:59 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 01-27-2021, 12:58 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 03-07-2021, 02:25 PM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 03-09-2021, 06:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.