Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News The Consumer Economy Has Completely Collapsed – “It’s a Ghost Town” for Holiday Shopp
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: The Consumer Economy Has Completely Collapsed – “It’s a Ghost Town” for Holiday Shopp
(11-29-2022 03:27 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  
(11-27-2022 07:17 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(11-27-2022 05:05 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  Inflation and online shopping...This should not be a surprise. I think my wife bought every gift this year already on line. She starts Christmas shopping around Labor day. The FedEx and UPS trucks pretty much drop off something daily.

Nope. If internet sales were booming Amazon would not be laying off workers. This is not surprising nor should this even be news. The consumer is tapped out. The last line of defense was credit cards and those balances have now risen to record highs---and the rates have risen--meaning the monthly credit card payments have increased higher than expected. The consumer is now running out of sources of disposable funds to tap (I suspect we are about to see home refi applications start rising despite interest rates not being very advantageous). Keep in mind---over 60% of people reported that they are now living paycheck to paycheck. Cant cut fuel purchases---you need gas to get to work. Cant cut food. Still gunna heat the house this winter. Cant cut the credit card payments and cant get the limit raised. Cant cut any of those essential bills---but you can spend less for Christmas this year---and thats whats going to happen.

I'm not so sure. I saw this AM where Cyber Monday did set a new record...something like 11 Billion in sales. Could be a ton on credit however. Also a good bit of this get returned..so the figure is preliminary.
I thought the Amazon cuts had a lot to do with them having to beef up during Covid and now not needing that extra staff now. Anyway...for sure the brick and mortar stores are hurting. I talked to a manager at WM on last Saturday and she said Black Friday was down about 1/3 from previous years. Something is going on.

It was up 2.2 percent year over year. Given that we have an inflation rate of 8% (or higher)—-that means we have a real world inflation adjusted DECLINE in sales of around 6% (despite the more aggressive discounting).
11-30-2022 11:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Consumer Economy Has Completely Collapsed – “It’s a Ghost Town” for Holiday Shopp - Attackcoog - 11-30-2022 11:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.