Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Would the SEC really offer a partial membership to Notre Dame?
Bookmark and Share
bryanw1995 Online
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
RE: Would the SEC really offer a partial membership to Notre Dame?
(08-24-2022 10:51 AM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  
(08-23-2022 05:49 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-23-2022 05:34 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(08-23-2022 12:45 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-23-2022 12:21 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  If Notre Dame wants to join the SEC, it needs to be under the same terms and conditions as any other invitee. That includes a full-time commitment in all sports sponsored by the SEC of which ND has a team. I would expect the SEC majority members would not settle for anything less otherwise. A scheduling agreement may be plausible, but membership criteria is not a casual or “special treatment” matter.

I don’t blame Notre Dame for being smart and savvy. I don’t care for the unique enabling, and extending incentives to Notre Dame based on fallacious hope.

I can see a time coming when the SEC offers all but football memberships which would be paid for all other sports fully, but not for football. Such a provision could eventually help Vanderbilt remain and permit Duke and Wake Forest to keep other important ties to UNC and UVa, and perhaps N.C. State. It could be useful for Rice or Tulane and become a great tool for enhancing academic associations. If N.D. wanted to fully place all sports but football here I see no harm, but we wouldn't bend over backwards to guarantee games in states which our member schools wanted to play like they do in the ACC. If they want football independence, they need to schedule like one.

If you created a tier of schools essentially that allowed for several partial members then I think the whole thing is more palatable.

Vanderbilt, Duke, Wake Forest, Rice, and Tulane would form a class of schools essentially that provide some academic heavyweights, greater penetration in certain markets, and potentially some very good basketball/baseball quality.

If Notre Dame is in that tier then that's a governance structure that avoids the appearance of favoritism. Although I still think it's important to nail down a package of games for Notre Dame and even for the other schools albeit mostly as filler.

Adding Notre Dame also gives you 6 total partials. It helps the numbers game.

If that's the case then you theoretically still need 24 full members.

Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech, Clemson, North Carolina, NC State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Kansas.

That's 24 full members and 6 partials.

Add Army, Navy, and Air Force to those 5 and you have a helluva B League in football and all sports.

Good discussion presented, ATU, JR, etc.. Let me clarify one matter. Offering a football alternative for schools such as Vanderbilt, Duke, Rice, SMU, etc. is different than giving a football exemption, or partial fb, to Notre Dame. The Irish have the resources to compete in fb at the highest levels. Vanderbilt, not so much.

I'd be fine seeing a Magnolia-type fb division under a SEC umbrella. Some public universities such as Georgia Tech, Kansas, or Virginia may find such appealing if the conditions and criteria match their priorities.

By the way, Wake Forest is a pre-season top 25. They had a fine season last year. That may be the best football program in the State of North Carolina right now.

Vanderbilt has more resources than any non-Texas SEC school, they just choose not to prioritize football. That could change at any time. They are a lot more like ND than the others, at least potentially.

Now, if Vandy approached the SEC about partial members and had a plan for a group of partials and the creation of the SEC version of the BTAA, that might be something that a lot of schools would get very excited about. Duke, Rice, UVA, ND, and Tulane added, as a group, would be amazing from an Academic perspective.
08-27-2022 03:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would the SEC really offer a partial membership to Notre Dame? - bryanw1995 - 08-27-2022 03:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.