BearcatsUC Online
Heisman

I Root For: UC
RE: 2022 US News & World Report College Rankings
(09-14-2021 10:27 AM)Bearcat 1985 Wrote:  
(09-14-2021 10:15 AM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  
(09-14-2021 09:57 AM)geef Wrote:  
(09-14-2021 09:53 AM)Bearcat 1985 Wrote:  
(09-14-2021 07:01 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  UC's ranking improved when it was a strategic focus of the administration. It requires that focus from the top to create tactical plans that improve performance in key areas to drive the ranking up. We all want it to be higher. But we also should be concerned about directionality--are we rising a little or falling a little?

One indicator used to be what UC was offering National Merit Scholars compared with an Alabama or a Miami (OH). I'm aware of a particular student who took that higher offer from Miami (in engineering of all things), but later came to regret not choosing UC. But financially incenting academically high achieving students is just one among many tactics to consider in raising the overall academic profile of an entering class.

While I would agree U.S. News rankings are often measuring prestige more than quality, millions of parents and prospective students don't know that or even care. So to be dismissive of this ranking comes at great peril for any university.

I'd also say that the initial move to selective admissions was kind of the low hanging fruit period. As we pared off the bottom quartile of our applicant pool, our profile showed quick and immediate improvements. We quickly became the third most selective school in the system, but that momentum inevitably began to plateau and slow. Now, we're trying to sway kids to choose us over OSU, Miami or--if they have the money--going out of state somewhere. That's going to be harder, and the gains are going to be more incremental than that initial flush of improvement. And as others have pointed out growing our pot of merit and need-based scholarships is crucial to keep moving forward.

On Selectivity, it's interesting to look at the US News stats - it shows Miami at 92% acceptance, and UC at 76% acceptance. I would have thought they'd be more in line. Given that it's 2020 numbers, could that be Covid related?

Miami gets more applicants

Then their yield must be god awful.

18%

https://www.thoughtco.com/miami-universi...ata-786547

09-14-2021 10:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2022 US News & World Report College Rankings - BearcatsUC - 09-14-2021 10:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.