Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MBB CAA Tournament seeding projections
Bookmark and Share
Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
RE: MBB CAA Tournament seeding projections
(02-26-2021 10:14 PM)WMInTheBurg Wrote:  
(02-26-2021 10:06 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Why don't we stop complaining and just be glad we have W&M MBB? It's been a valuable rebuilding year with a lot of promise. Let's enjoy it.

+1

At many times this season, there was a good case to be made for shutting the whole thing down, as other programs have done.

(02-27-2021 12:11 AM)FauqDawg10 Wrote:  I am appreciative our guys got to play at all during this crazy season, and I have no issues losing games we scheduled even when we didn't have to. But I'm interested in competitiveness, fairness and program success, and Delaware walking away from a game due to injury was none of those three things. I (and several others) said at the time that our players had every right to be pissed if that changed March seedings and, lo and behold, one foregone win put us at a significant disadvantage. It's a weird season and the league was right to make precautionary health measures, but this wasn't a Covid issue; this was a school who decided that playing its walk-ons (who would have loved to play) would be a competitive disadvantage and pressured the league into getting a mulligan in a weak spot. I am fine with taking lumps as they come, but that was the league pissing on our leg and telling us it's raining.

I pay for a monthly subscription just to watch the games and argue on an obscure forum about grainy Youtube highlights of some 16-year-old in a state I've never been to, so I obviously take it at least mildly seriously. I get bothered when it feels like others (the league, not you guys) don't.

If W&M had shut down the season (just as the Tribe women did) then that would have been fine. However, once you decide to play, then PLAY. That means playing each game to win (which we always do; I can't say the same for every other team), paying attention to seeding, and scheduling games where you can in order to prevent long layoffs (like the one that just killed us before Elon). I repeat that there was no reason why W&M should not have pursued playing Delaware, at Kaplan, this weekend and there should have been zero reason for Delaware to refuse. Joey D. could have forced them to do it for every reason except Covid.

Just casually dismissing everything that happens this year by saying "who cares, it is just Covid" means that if the athletic department or anyone in it really feels that way then they should have killed the season a month ago. It is hard to take them seriously when they don't take playing/winning seriously.

When the football team starts playing, aren't you going to expect them to compete and try to win every game? I know I will. I don't want to hear any stuff about "glorified spring practices" and such. If the team is going to play at all then they should be aiming for a national championship, just like any other year.

Well, basketball is no different. Play to win, which means seeding matters. Our best hope is that Charleston does not play, in which case we would get a bye for being in the top 7 teams.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2021 12:50 AM by Zorch.)
02-27-2021 12:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: MBB CAA Tournament seeding projections - Zorch - 02-27-2021 12:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.