Bookmark and Share
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
RE: A Different Way to Look at the Value of Schools with Regard to Realignment
(04-13-2021 04:12 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  4
(04-13-2021 11:21 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  
(04-13-2021 08:18 AM)TerryD Wrote:  
(04-12-2021 01:42 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  JRsec, you are very good at keeping up with the network agreements and figures. I know the generalities with each, but you are seasoned in the details. Sharing those specifics are appreciated.

In terms of value that could be added to the SEC, and looking at this from multiple angles, there is one school I deem most worthy to continue to pursue: Texas.

I am not a fan of Texas, but their athletics, academics, fan base, location, proximity, financial and physical resources, scope of rivalries, and established name and image, would be a major boost to the SEC. What could hold Texas back is largely attitudinal, along with their propensity to seek control within a collective structure.

While Oklahoma is another coveted school, I get the perception they are receptive to overtures from the BIG10. Then there is the question if they will still be opposed to a conference separation from Oklahoma State. That really is a good "duo". The PAC12 was short-sighted in not accepting this pair several years ago. If they had, the PAC12 situation would be much improved today. Texas Tech, in my opinion, would be a good addition to the PAC12 in terms of location and garnering a foothold in west Texas. Kansas State joining a package of schools heading west could be plausible.

As to the ACC, assuming their GoR firmly holds, adding West Virginia would be a quality athletic and contiguous addition. As Notre Dame is steadfastly against accepting conference football, personally, I would not be disappointed to see the ACC cut strings with them when the current contract expires. If the contract assures ND permanence for non-fb sports (excluding hockey), then the ACC has to live with it. The hybrid stuff, when there is a sport that a member could contribute, is a turn-off. I know that is an unpopular view on CSNBBS, but it is how I view it. At some future point, it could be a part of a motive for one or more southern, athletically elite, ACC schools to eventually depart for elsewhere. Schools such as Clemson and Florida State may not see themselves bonded in perceptual co-dependency with ND. If WVU became #15, and the ACC wanted #16, Cincinnati looks like a respectable prospect.

Maybe the BIG12 surprises, and they receive a very competitive/lucrative contract in a couple of years or so, and no school leaves. But if that happens, and they don't expand themselves, then some more enabling is going-on with just ten members per prime bowls, access to playoffs, etc. I haven't seen much in terms of signals on this from any of the schools or the Big12 conference. Holding information close to the vest can last only so long. On the other hand, they don't seem to be boasting how tight they are, and that everything is so wonderful.

ND is a full voting member of the ACC, just like Duke, North Carolina and Clemson.

There is no difference in the legal status between those schools and their relationship with the ACC and that of ND.

ND is also a huge reason that the ACC Network exists. John Swofford and a number of others have so proclaimed early and often.

ND gets a full share of the net profits from the ACC Network, just like the other 14 ACC schools. What does that tell you?

I just don't see ESPN being happy with the ACC "cutting strings" with ND.

ESPN wants just the opposite, it wants all of ND.

ND has 24 sports programs (except football and hockey, the latter which the ACC doesn't sponsor----more is the pity) competing in the ACC. I bet that ranks up there high with how many programs other schools have competing in the conference.

The five game football deal per year, the GOR and the contract ND signed saying if it ever joined a football conference it has to be the ACC, all expire after 2036.

But, ND is a permanent, full member of the ACC otherwise.

"Cutting strings" with ND would require the same effort as cutting ties with Virginia Tech, Florida State or Miami.

(One has to question why the ACC would take on Notre Dame in this manner. What would be the goal? The gain?

I think that it would hurt the ACC, not help it at all).

That is my understanding of the relationship between ND and the ACC.

JR or someone else can correct me if I am wrong.

Went to look this up (on Wikipedia, of course)...

1. (tie) Duke / North Carolina - 27
3. (tie) Boston College / Virginia - 25
5. Notre Dame - 24
6. Louisville - 23
7. Virginia Tech - 22
8. North Carolina St - 21
9. (tie) Clemson / Florida St - 19
11. (tie) Syracuse / Wake Forest - 18
13. Miami - 17.5^
14. (tie) Georgia Tech / Pittsburgh - 17

^ Miami participates in diving only but the sport is technically "swimming and diving" under the NCAA
Football is the biggie and certainly the prime measure of assessment for this aspect.
Any school in a conference receiving a "special contract" does have distinctions not applied to the rest. Partisan fans may deem Swofford had been masterful and savvy in this set-up. Perhaps to the same fans, losing Maryland was brilliant as well.
I don't fault Notre Dame for negotiating/accepting this deal with the ACC. They are the smarter partner.
On the one hand, multiple posters here (board-wise, not SEC threads specifically) have posts after post on how the BIG, SEC, w/ESPN, and even a partially depleted B12, are going to divide-up the better ACC schools. Maybe that happens one day.
On the other hand, some of the same posters express how extraordinarily positive it is to have the ND agreement and that it has saved and stabilized the ACC. Talking about both ways?????
My prior comments focused on potential ACC expansion with an unsteady assumption the B12 would have departures in a few years. ND is a factor because ND is not going to be a fb expansion component. I am not sure all of the ACC interests want to accept the reality.
My remarks were how to deal with that practically. i. e. add WVU, possibly Cincy, and so forth. Debate it. But that's what I believe the ACC needs to pursue if they choose to expand with all-sports-in schools.

Notre Dame's deal is not stopping the ACC from adding WVU and Cincy today. How could it, exactly?

It is not affecting their ability to do so in any way. Their reluctance or inability to do so is not Notre Dame's "fault".

That would be 16 football playing members and 17 basketball playing members.

Currently, those numbers sit at 14 and 15, respectively. How would the new additions be much of a problem, with ND still there?

Why would the ACC try to kick a full member out to do so, especially when that member is fulfilling all requirements and contracts?

Do you think that the ACC is better off or worse off, TV money wise, with ND in the conference with a partial deal?

Do you think that ESPN would prefer ND to stay where it is, or do you think that ESPN would prefer that the ACC kick ND out?

That would be an exceedingly dumb and bizarre way to add numbers, value and revenue to the conference.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2021 05:27 PM by TerryD.)
04-13-2021 05:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Different Way to Look at the Value of Schools with Regard to Realignment - TerryD - 04-13-2021 05:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.