Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Scholarship limits and the roster
Bookmark and Share
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
RE: Scholarship limits and the roster
Dan and I fundamentally disagree on the issue of paying players. I think a college scholarship is a tremendous value and if a student-athlete attends a University with the intention of pursuing a professional football position, that is little different than someone pursuing an accounting degree in hopes of a business career. Preparing young people for later life is the University mission. Politicians need to exert influence on the major pro leagues, any qualified, talented young athlete (i.e. Emoni Bates) who wishes not to attend college should be provided an avenue to do so. The NFL and NBA have simply used the NCAA as a no-cost minor league, that is clearly wrong.

That being said, I cannot rationally justify prohibiting a Justin Fields at OSU from transferring to an SEC school for the fall season. Universities discontinue certain academic and sports programs occasionally, and of course those affected are free to transfer immediately to another school. The B1G, Pac 12 and MAC institutions suspended their fall football season, I simply don't see a legal justification for not allowing their athletes to transfer to schools that have not. Any other action would imply a contractual obligation and thus classify such student-athletes as "employees" as Dan described. The NCAA could be accused of conducting semi-pro league.

In the end, however, all NCAA schools need to realize that while their sports programs are businesses, and while they compete, their industry does resemble private industry. If an automaker went out of business would the other car builders benefit? Hell yes! NCAA football, by contrast, depends on national appeal and genuine competition for that lucrative television money. The SEC and ACC could empty the top talent from other conferences and suddenly be the "Kings of Nothing". In the fall of 2021 let's assume a transfer decimated Wisconsin team is scheduled to play LSU and thus is a three touchdown underdog. Who is turning on the TV to watch that? Most importantly what network is spending big money to televise it?
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2020 05:32 PM by Jerry Weaver.)
08-21-2020 05:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Scholarship limits and the roster - Jerry Weaver - 08-21-2020 05:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.