Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Which school out there has a realistic shot building a champion?
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
RE: Which school out there has a realistic shot building a champion?
(06-04-2020 01:08 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  
(06-04-2020 12:38 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(06-04-2020 10:46 AM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  I'm a TN fan so I'm biased, but I do think we have a shot. The problem is:
1. Will the university get out of its own way (ala the Schiano/coaching search mess).
2. We have more championship winning schools to overcome in our conference schedule than most (Alabama every year, if we were to win the east, twice, LSU/Auburn, and then Georgia and Florida. That is 8 of the past 20 championship. This year we don't play LSU or Auburn, but we do play OK. So we probably have the toughest path back to a natty.

If the biggest obstacle in the past decade was disastrous hiring processes, then that means your overall program has a legit shot.

Consider: schools like Nebraska and Texas have had great hiring processes, but they haven't come close in the last 10 years. North Carolina, Mississippi State, and Iowa have had great coaches, and they haven't come close.

As for your second point... a tough annual schedule hasn't stopped Alabama, Auburn, LSU, or Florida. Or Ohio State and Oklahoma, who play 9 conference games.

Everyone talks about LSU's historically strong 2019 schedule. But Ohio State plays Michigan, Penn State, and Michigan State every year. Last year they also had to beat a top-10 Wisconsin team twice and two 11-win teams out of conference.

To clarify, I think that TN's issues are more systemic than just the hiring process. Yes, Kiffin left us in a bind and we had to grasp at straws to get Dooley, but I actually thought Jones was a decent get. Pruitt seems to be a solid coach (loss to Georgia St. aside), and so the issue is not the coaching hire itself, but the circumstances that led to that hire, and the public manner in which it played out.

And I guess what I am saying about strength of schedule is that TN would be more like those Wisconsin and Penn St teams. They have a great team and are true contenders, but having to get through the elites like Ohio St. makes it tough.

Though our recruiting numbers above show that we should be contenders.

Jones was a horrible hire for Tennessee from the start.

Cincinnati fans knew him as a good motivational speaker who does things the Right Way, but the the definition of mediocre at coaching football.

Just look at who else tried to hire Jones - he did a whirlwind tour of Colorado, Purdue, and Tennessee. Are those Tennessee's peers? Wisconsin & Auburn also had openings that year, but they had no interest in Jones. Arkansas & NC State had the home-run hires that year (although Arkansas looked bad in hindsight, it was widely looked on as a coup when the took Bielema from Wisconsin).

I think if Jones had accepted the Purdue job instead of Tennessee, he'd have averaged 6-8 wins a year and he'd still be there today. Purdue (like Cincinnati) places just as much value on having upstanding citizens as winning conference championships. But 6-8 wins at Tennessee gets you fired, and there's no bonus points for following the rules.
06-05-2020 03:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Which school out there has a realistic shot building a champion? - Captain Bearcat - 06-05-2020 03:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.