vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
RE: Alliance of American Football and the impact on the college ranks
(03-22-2018 06:45 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(03-22-2018 05:58 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(03-21-2018 08:32 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(03-21-2018 02:46 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(03-21-2018 02:20 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  Americans did not identify with a league started by another country.

Well in the 70's Americans didn't identify with the World Football League, and in the 80's they didn't identify with the United States Football League, and since they haven't really identified with Arena Football either.

My suspicion here is that we all tend to be traditionalists and Spring and Summer football just isn't going to get an audience when the American psyche is attuned to Basketball and then Baseball / Softball. I think we want our Football in the Fall and over with as soon as possible after the New Year.
But we all line up to watch those spring games. lol I think there is a place for it if done correctly. I am never ready for football to be over.04-cheers

It goes back to the laundry IMO. Fans are rooting for 'Old State' and want a preview of the upcoming year. It's why no matter how much money is offered in the G League, it will still pale in comparison to MBB and March Madness. The best idea for spring CFB was JR when he suggested that the cupcake games could be moved to that time of year.

I think that would be a good idea, but I think what might be even better is a jamboree format. Take 3 or 4 schools from a general region and allow them to play a quarter against each other.

You could sell tickets to a variety of fan bases in order to increase demand a little bit and fill up an entire afternoon with competition. People could come and go as they please and that would be good for vendors and local businesses as well.

You'd also be more likely to prevent injuries from engaging in a full length game. That and some of the smaller programs might be a little more susceptible to injury due to the difference in the quality of athlete so I think they would probably prefer the limited action as well.

I think the coaches might also get a better feel for their guys' performance and the sort of depth they have if you're running your squads out against live competition that you don't see everyday in practice.

As long as you maintain association with CFB, any spring football stands a chance succeeding. But semi-pro football working in B'ham or Memphis is a dubious affair IMO.
03-22-2018 04:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Alliance of American Football and the impact on the college ranks - vandiver49 - 03-22-2018 04:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.