Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Disney Buying Fox Assets Including Regional Sports Networks
Bookmark and Share
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: Disney Buying Fox Assets Including Regional Sports Networks
(12-14-2017 10:15 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(12-14-2017 08:52 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  Disney is gearing up to compete with Netflix, Amazon, Facebook, and other internet giants. I think this leaves no doubt that cable tv is dead and will be replaced by individual streaming subscriptions. This smells like realignment, but could be a good thing for G5's. I believe that ratings and subscriptions will become more important than things like tv market potential that drove realignment in the past.

I don't think so this is the death of cable/satellite.

First of all. You have to have internet. Cable companies are a major provider of that.

Millions of rural customers do not have viable high speed internet. Their TV has to come from satellite because many can't even get OTA programming since the digital switch.

Second streaming sports means if you are a connected viewer you receive text and push alerts of things that haven't happened on your screen.

All that changes is the model.

You don't think freed from content producers forcing them to place channels in a bundle that the providers won't be able to market competitive alternatives? Cable will end up slashing their price for channels and make it a loss leader for having their now more expensive internet service.

Oh and don't forget.

The FCC is about to kill net neutrality.

Congratulations.

Your internet provider is going to give you a cap on usage. BUT if you buy their streaming service, that data won't count against your cap. And of course in order "to provide customers with the best experience" the internet providers are going to require Netflix, Amazon, Disney to pay them for server usage to mirror their content so consumers don't get the throttled streaming that will be given to streamers who don't cough up. So Netflix is going to become more expensive as it has to bribe your internet provider to not cause you to get pissed off by the screen freezing as Stranger Things 4 gets to the critical moment by needing to buffer.

Internet providers are about to get many times richer.
I've had a cap on usage for several years . . . chose to pay more for unlimited.
12-14-2017 08:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Disney Buying Fox Assets Including Regional Sports Networks - WinstonTheWolf - 12-14-2017 08:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.