Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Report: UCSD Finally Gets Big West Invite
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
RE: Report: UCSD Finally Gets Big West Invite
(02-15-2018 12:26 PM)GiveEmTheAxe Wrote:  
(02-14-2018 01:54 AM)jdgaucho Wrote:  UCSD isn't the problem. It's Bakersfield. I know I'm not the only one disgusted with how this went down 03-puke

I can see a certain appeal to how the Big West is shaping up. UCSD gives them a fourth AAU member UC campus. If UCR can ever get its **** together the Big West will have half the AAU members in the state of CA (the others being the four Pac-12 schools plus Caltech.) And in Fullerton, Northridge, and Long Beach they have the three highest-enrollment CSU campuses. Cal Poly SLO doesn't fit in with its high-enrollment siblings, but it probably has the best reputation for college town living. They all seem to bring something to the table, either prestige or size or a cool college vibe.

And then there's Bakersfield.

At least if Sacramento State had been the expansion choice it would have fit in with the high-enrollment CSUs. They have the fourth-largest student body if you don't count the FBS-playing MWC schools. They're three times as big as CSU Bakersfield! But I guess Sacramento State has its reasons for staying in the Big Sky.

Here's the problem - no additional representation outside CA. No motivation to invest in basketball or other sports. No differentiation. There's still the bus league stigma. you miss out by staying in a bubble. Academics? Boise bought their brief membership in 2012 and theirs don't compare.

Politics was the reason Bakersfield got in. Not their NIT run in 2017, not their academics. They used UCSD's desperation against them. They were shunned for over a decade, nothing else has made them appealing. It's a victory for Bakersfield only, they bring nothing useful to the table and get all the travel savings benefits.

The Big West of 1990 with UNLV, NMSU and Utah State was the perfect setup. Still primarily CA based, but a presence in multiple states. And capable of producing at-large bids.

The Big West of 2020 is anything but ideal. 10 of 11 members in one state means there is no growth, no regional exposure outside said state. It's sad, really.
02-15-2018 02:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Report: UCSD Finally Gets Big West Invite - jdgaucho - 02-15-2018 02:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.