Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Divisionless Football Conferences?
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
RE: Divisionless Football Conferences?
(12-07-2018 09:09 AM)Eldonabe Wrote:  
(12-06-2018 11:24 AM)ken d Wrote:  What I'd rather see is elimination of all CCGs, to be replaced by a 16 team playoff that includes any division champion ranked in the Top 25. So, instead of Alabama vs Georgia that effectively eliminated one of them from the playoff, they would likely both have been high seeds with a possibility of both reaching the Final Four by their play on the field.

Ken I think you are on to something here.....

Whether you have a CCG or just win your conference without one of those.... the stipulation of being in the top 25 (or maybe even top 20??) to qualify has some legs I think?

I still say 16 is too many teams as there is a "cliff" in there someplace after the best 6-8 teams of who can really win the National Championship, but at least the MAC Champion is not getting in just because they were the best sh*tty team who won their sh*tty conference.

I agree that some of the 16 teams that would make this field will have no realistic chance of winning four games in this tournament. My intent in this model is to insure that every team that does have a realistic chance is included.

I was also trying to be sure that no G5 team would be left out solely as a result of poll bias. That is, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt over marginal P5 division champions. This model also provides a path for all Independent teams. None of the top ranked teams get a bye. They should beat their first round opponent easily, but not as easily as if it were a body bag opponent. Hopefully, it's not a completely unwatchable game.

This year, using a composite of human polls and computer rankings, 8 out of 10 P5 division champions would have made the field, along with 3 of 10 G5 champs and 1 Independent. The lowest ranked at-large team was #12 LSU.

The highest ranked champion left out was Northwestern ranked #30. The highest ranked G5 champ was Appalachian State at #35. I would argue that neither had a chance of winning a 16 team tournament.
12-08-2018 08:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Divisionless Football Conferences? - ken d - 12-08-2018 08:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.