Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

sounds like Idaho's AD was WRONG
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
RE: sounds like Idaho's AD was WRONG
(04-11-2013 10:47 AM)Wedge Wrote:  
(04-11-2013 08:43 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  I don't believe UCF or Temple or USF builds the eagerness of Tulane or Houston or Tulsa fans to purchase tickets or donate to compete against them (or make the ticket a valuable commodity that permits forcibly extracting donations from potential ticket buyers). That simply defies belief.

But at least it's unproven. It is proven, with many years of data, that playing more local opponents does not help those teams to fill the seats at their stadiums. (Unless the "local opponents" are Texas, TAMU, Oklahoma, or LSU. The point being that fans respond in large numbers to big-name opponents and not to non-name opponents, whether they are local or not.)

As I said above, the CUSA-to-AAC teams might well experience the same result in the AAC, but at least they are trying something different.

That's where the regional conference (with low outside revenue) argument falls apart for me. The MAC, SBC and several of CUSA are lucky if they're drawing in the mid 20,000's for games. My theory is your school either draws fans / has a fanbase or it doesn't. It's much better to stand on your own than to rely on visitors for revenue.

No matter what ECU is in a much better situation b/c of geography & NCAA revenues. We were somewhat of an outlier any way you slice it but having Navy (+ hopefully a non-FB offset), Temple, UConn, UCF & USF in our time zone at least is a huge improvement over what we had before. Our closest conference mate was Marshall before. Now we have 3 within or roughly closer in Navy, Temple & Cincy. We severed trips UTEP and put Memphis in our new west division.

Playing UNCC & ODU in conference is completely unacceptable to myself and at least half of our fanbase, especially the bigger donors so a truly regional league like MAC or SBC is basically a non-starter.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2013 11:23 AM by blunderbuss.)
04-11-2013 11:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: sounds like Idaho's AD was WRONG - blunderbuss - 04-11-2013 11:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.