2022 Transfer Portal / Post Dec. Signing Day
Bookmark and Share
Sellers dweller Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
RE: 2022 Transfer Portal / Post Dec. Signing Day
(01-18-2023 04:50 AM)emu79 Wrote:  
(01-17-2023 08:32 PM)EdifiedVoyage6 Wrote:  
(01-17-2023 06:20 PM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  Jefferson Adam is really picking up a lot of attention lately. He visited Iowa State (although I don't see anywhere that they have officially offered him a scholarship) this past weekend and I saw a quote where he said something about them being his #1. Then this week Indiana offered him a scholarship and he is planning an official visit there.

Hopefully we are still in a good position to land him.

I texted him today after Indiana offered him
He has yet to call or text back

Lets say for the sake of discussion that "Jeff" signs somewhere else although I hope not. Hopefully we have some secondary targets in mind.

If we do lose out on him, and we don't bring any other D-ends, I don't think its the end of the world. I understand why we would go after him, but within the last few years we have brought in a lot of highly recruited D-ends (Gaines, Evans, Miles, Bogard, Coleman, Blair, Fletcher) and have some older guys (Zelinsky and Haney).
01-18-2023 07:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
(01-16-2023 07:08 PM)steve4840 Wrote:  in the last few years we have gotten transfers from...
-MSU
-West Virginia
-Boston College
-Troy
-Indiana

And some top end JUCO talent

I don't believe we have lost anyone to P5 programs or really anyone who has dominated in G5. (Quiann going to Buffalo hurt)

. I'm not a believer that P5 guarantees anything but I do think the more you have, the better the chances of a few of them panning out will be.

This team on paper going in to next year is getting scary good.

Im not sold on guys moving down except QB, thats what Gil Brandt use to say on his radio show. He like to draft guys who movd up in college. We had a Pit and a Wisc transfer last year, Pitt guy did not see the field much and the Wisc edge was okay at best. P5 recruits ATHLETES and the best football players of that bunch play similar to the NFL. G5 and others look for potenital and undersized skills and there are plenty of diamonds out there. It's a reason EMU can beat P5 schools often.
01-18-2023 08:59 PM
steve4840 Offline
1st String

(01-18-2023 08:59 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  
(01-16-2023 07:08 PM)steve4840 Wrote:  in the last few years we have gotten transfers from...
-MSU
-West Virginia
-Boston College
-Troy
-Indiana

I don't believe we have lost anyone to P5 programs or really anyone who has dominated in G5. (Quiann going to Buffalo hurt)

. I'm not a believer that P5 guarantees anything but I do think the more you have, the better the chances of a few of them panning out will be.

Im not sold on guys moving down except QB, thats what Gil Brandt use to say on his radio show. He like to draft guys who movd up in college. We had a Pit and a Wisc transfer last year, Pitt guy did not see the field much and the Wisc edge was okay at best. P5 recruits ATHLETES and the best football players of that bunch play similar to the NFL. G5 and others look for potenital and undersized skills and there are plenty of diamonds out there. It's a reason EMU can beat P5 schools often.

Last season...
EMU's leading rusher: Transfer from Iowa
EMU's leading tackler:Transfer from Boston College
EMU' 2nd leading tackler: Transfer from MSU
EMU's leading passer: Transfer from originally Missouri

Some don't work out, but many do. I would point to being over-recruited for many of these guys
01-19-2023 05:46 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(01-19-2023 05:46 AM)steve4840 Wrote:  
(01-18-2023 08:59 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  
-MSU
-West Virginia
-Boston College
-Troy
-Indiana

Last season...
EMU's leading rusher: Transfer from Iowa
EMU's leading tackler:Transfer from Boston College
EMU' 2nd leading tackler: Transfer from MSU
EMU's leading passer: Transfer from originally Missouri

Some don't work out, but many do. I would point to being over-recruited for many of these guys

Good points and why, to me, portal is more interesting than the December, and certainly February signings (except transfers of course).

What I look for is P5 players who were able to see a fair amount of PT at their schools.

Ideally crack the 2-deeps. Say a WR who might catch 5 - 12 balls in a season at the P5 level. https://247sports.com/Player/Javon-Swinton-46035460/

Clearly what I'm thinking is a '2nd string' WR, LB, etc. who wants to start at the G5 level.

There are examples above in our LB corps.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2023 06:49 AM by emu steve.)
01-19-2023 06:34 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

BTW, there is an angle to this transfer stuff which needs to be considered...

As I understand it, once a player say commits to another school he may finish his academic year BUT he is no longer a member of his current school's athletic program. No S&C, obviously no spring ball, etc.
That has really important ramifications, like, the player changes schools in June but may have a lot of ground to make up in terms of conditioning.

So why not transfer at mid-year? Does the new school have an unused 2022/23 scholarship to offer? In many respects it is like the mid-year JUCO who comes in January using an unused scholarship.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2023 07:02 AM by emu steve.)
01-19-2023 07:00 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

BTW, is it obvious I'm more hyped about FB than MBB?

This is interesting. The listing of transfers lists 'values' for each transfer now and when they were presumably last recruited (or high school??).
E.g., Johnson and Westmoreland their 'stock' rose. Others saw their stock decline.

https://www.on3.com/college/eastern-mich...transfers/
01-19-2023 07:11 AM
EdifiedVoyage6 Offline
2nd String

I still have been unable to get ahold of Jeff
But I was able to talk to some coaches and staff about Jeff
They said they are optimistic but the likelihood he comes here is greatly diminished
Especially after the Cal offer
The Indiana and Iowa State offer weren't huge and the coaches were still positive he was coming here
But that Cal offer kills
Also this weekend he is going to Jackson State

I have to admit this is my fault for getting people's hopes up since I didn't just keep my mouth shut about him
I was just excited since he is going to be a dominant player
It sucks that he probably won't be coming home
01-19-2023 09:30 AM
EAGLE KING Offline
1st String

(01-19-2023 07:11 AM)emu steve Wrote:  BTW, is it obvious I'm more hyped about FB than MBB?

This is interesting. The listing of transfers lists 'values' for each transfer now and when they were presumably last recruited (or high school??).
E.g., Johnson and Westmoreland their 'stock' rose. Others saw their stock decline.

https://www.on3.com/college/eastern-mich...transfers/

The NIL value is interesting. I wonder how this is determined? Just by star rating or if it has any real data behind it. FYI it shows Emoni valued at 648k.
01-19-2023 10:05 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(01-19-2023 09:30 AM)EdifiedVoyage6 Wrote:  I still have been unable to get ahold of Jeff
They said they are optimistic but the likelihood he comes here is greatly diminished
The Indiana and Iowa State offer weren't huge and the coaches were still positive he was coming here
But that Cal offer kills

I have to admit this is my fault for getting people's hopes up since I didn't just keep my mouth shut about him

So how do you feel about the DE and DT positions next year with incoming recruits and returnees? Jose Ramirez was hugh last year.
01-19-2023 10:12 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Exclamation RE: 2022 Transfer Portal / Post Dec. Signing Day
01-19-2023 06:25 PM
EdifiedVoyage6 Offline
2nd String

(01-19-2023 10:12 AM)emu79 Wrote:  
(01-19-2023 09:30 AM)EdifiedVoyage6 Wrote:  I still have been unable to get ahold of Jeff
But that Cal offer kills

So how do you feel about the DE and DT positions next year with incoming recruits and returnees? Jose Ramirez was hugh last year.

Absolutely fantastic
We were going to be dominant with Adams and we still are
We have a bunch of dudes
Also, we have 3 massive pieces back
Alex Merritt, Mikey Haney, and the biggest piece JAAVON BROWN
I think Jaavon is an immediate replacement of Crawford
Now we have Ugo Noskie who should make a lot of noise over the next couple of years

I think Minkah, Carter, Joseph, Sterling, and Mikey make up one of the best DE groups we have had in a couple of years
01-19-2023 08:00 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(01-19-2023 08:00 PM)EdifiedVoyage6 Wrote:  
But that Cal offer kills

Absolutely fantastic
We have a bunch of dudes
Now we have Ugo Noskie who should make a lot of noise over the next couple of years

I think Minkah, Carter, Joseph, Sterling, and Mikey make up one of the best DE groups we have had in a couple of years

Thanks I also note that Jaden Gaines was out with injuries last year along with Merritt and Haney and that Brown was essentially redshirted.
01-20-2023 03:24 AM
steve4840 Offline
1st String

But that Cal offer kills

Absolutely fantastic
We have a bunch of dudes

Edified, is this the year we see Swindle break out? I was and still am super high on him He was a very high recruit and seems like a disruptor. Sounds like our D-line and Ends could be fantastic next season
01-20-2023 08:13 PM
EdifiedVoyage6 Offline
2nd String

(01-20-2023 08:13 PM)steve4840 Wrote:  
But that Cal offer kills

Absolutely fantastic
We have a bunch of dudes

Edified, is this the year we see Swindle break out? I was and still am super high on him He was a very high recruit and seems like a disruptor. Sounds like our D-line and Ends could be fantastic next season
We have so many young guys on that line
It is very possible that next season we see a breakout by Swindle, Evans, Minkah, Bogard, and Miles
I am only mentioning them because they are really young and have years to go
We have so many guys on that line that one of them will find a way to get to the QB
And with new defensive schemes that other teams simply don't know yet, we should have a really good chance of having a top D-Line
When Neal came in he had a hell of a defense because no one knew it yet
I presume that Coach Needham and Johnson cook up something fierce
01-20-2023 09:31 PM
Sellers dweller Offline
1st String

Just to reset this:

The way I understand it the transfer portal is now closed. The next signing day is February 1st but I believe that goes all the way to April 1st...and I think that is just for high school seniors and JUCO transfers. After that signing period the roster will be pretty much set. So if I have that right a guy like Jefferson Adam can't do anything until February 1st, and once that date hits he has until April 1st to decide what he is going to do next season.

So other than Adam who do we have an eye on between February 1 and April 1?
01-21-2023 07:55 AM
Sellers dweller Offline
1st String

Jefferson Adam is announcing on Monday and said his three finalist are Iowa State, Indiana, and West Virginia.

Unfortunately we won't be adding him on Wednesday. Other than the transfer portal and JUCO guys who have committed over the past month I'm not sure if there is anyone else out there we might add. Maybe some PWOs?
01-27-2023 09:50 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(01-27-2023 09:50 PM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  Jefferson Adam is announcing on Monday and said his three finalist are Iowa State, Indiana, and West Virginia.

Unfortunately we won't be adding him on Wednesday. Other than the transfer portal and JUCO guys who have committed over the past month I'm not sure if there is anyone else out there we might add. Maybe some PWOs?
He might not go to any bowl games with those choices.
01-27-2023 10:20 PM
EdifiedVoyage6 Offline
2nd String

(01-27-2023 09:50 PM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  Jefferson Adam is announcing on Monday and said his three finalist are Iowa State, Indiana, and West Virginia.

I talked to him about his choices
He said if he had signed his NLI back in December he would have been an Eagle
But these guys came in at the final hour and basically took him
Jeff also told me that if Vontrell had also stayed here it would have definitely put EMU in his top 3
I also wanted to know if NIL had anything to do with it
He said that schools weren't throwing money at him, that his choice was based on his experience and the feeling at those schools

One thing I would also like to mention is something he said during our conversation
He said that Eastern was without a doubt the school with the best family atmosphere
Specifically, he could tell it was a family environment
That each player really did love the guy next to him
But at the end of the day Family isn't all you go to a school for

That part really stuck with me
The fact that he said it was a family environment
Almost every recruit we have ever got, under Creighton, has said something along those lines
It seems to be really damn true

TBH I probably shouldn't have said anything
It was a mistake on my part
I was just excited about getting him
Sorry
01-28-2023 09:59 PM
steve4840 Offline
1st String

(01-28-2023 09:59 PM)EdifiedVoyage6 Wrote:  

Jeff also told me that if Vontrell had also stayed here it would have definitely put EMU in his top 3
He said that schools weren't throwing money at him, that his choice was based on his experience and the feeling at those schools

One thing I would also like to mention is something he said during our conversation
He said that Eastern was without a doubt the school with the best family atmosphere

Almost every recruit we have ever got, under Creighton, has said something along those lines

Sorry

No.need to apologize at all Edified Younwere going off of information straight from the recruit. Unfortunately the bigger boys were able to get him last minute. I appreciate your insight.

The bottom line is. we have a loaded class coming in to EMU and an incredibly experienced and talented group if returnees This should be a great season
01-29-2023 06:58 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
(01-29-2023 06:58 AM)steve4840 Wrote:  
(01-28-2023 09:59 PM)EdifiedVoyage6 Wrote:  

Sorry

No.need to apologize at all Edified Younwere going off of information straight from the recruit. Unfortunately the bigger boys were able to get him last minute. I appreciate your insight.

The bottom line is. we have a loaded class coming in to EMU and an incredibly experienced and talented group if returnees This should be a great season

I'm never going to begrudge a guy for going P5 over G5. It happens. Good luck to him - hope he picks Indiana.
01-29-2023 01:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.