@Game Week: CMU
Bookmark and Share
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
RE: @Game Week: CMU
(11-26-2022 09:14 AM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  
(11-25-2022 05:03 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
(11-25-2022 04:51 PM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  What a great way to end the regular season! A totally dominating performance of Central (after totally dominating Western earlier in the year). I loved the balance of the offense, and on defense I thought we were ready for their rush attack and played with an edge.

It will probably always be hard for me to not think back on this season and think about the end of that Toledo game, but that aside this was a great season and a very good team! 8-4, co-MAC-west champs, Michigan MAC champs, and we have the best overall record in the MAC-west. I know my feelings don't matter, but I do feel like we are the best team in the MAC-west right now, and with Ohio's QB out we'd have a great chance at winning it....but oh well. I have to say, it was great to see how Neathery and staff were able to adjust and the D really played great the second half the year. Hopefully we can top it all off with a bowl win in what would be one of the best Eastern seasons ever.

With all the guys we [should] have coming back, along with one of the best recruiting classes ever coming in, I think we should all have high hopes for next season, especially if we can figure out our quarterback situation.
I think the experience that Austin Smith got this season is going to pay big dividends next season.

I hope so! I thought Austin showed flashes of great potential, but I wasn't overly impressed with him as a passer. Hopefully with another offseason he can continue to get better and become a true duel-threat. My guess is either he takes a big step or a transfer comes in. I know some don't like the QB transfer game that Creighton seems to play, but you have to give him credit he has done a pretty good job (Glass, Wiegers, Bryant, Powell).

You forgot Todd Porter as well. To me Smith proved this year he can lead this team and win.
11-27-2022 08:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EAGLE KING Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
@Game Week: CMU
Jose ends the regular season as the NCAA sack leader with 12. Granted a few more games will be played. Wish he would get some All American recognition, but doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11-27-2022 08:41 AM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear Eagle King,
I could be wrong, but part of recognition for one's accomplishments comes from the home team. Is Eastern pushing Jose's abilities with whomever so that he gets that recognition.
11-27-2022 10:11 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(11-26-2022 09:14 AM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  
(11-25-2022 05:03 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
(11-25-2022 04:51 PM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  What a great way to end the regular season! A totally dominating performance of Central (after totally dominating Western earlier in the year). I loved the balance of the offense, and on defense I thought we were ready for their rush attack and played with an edge.

It will probably always be hard for me to not think back on this season and think about the end of that Toledo game, but that aside this was a great season and a very good team! 8-4, co-MAC-west champs, Michigan MAC champs, and we have the best overall record in the MAC-west. I know my feelings don't matter, but I do feel like we are the best team in the MAC-west right now, and with Ohio's QB out we'd have a great chance at winning it....but oh well. I have to say, it was great to see how Neathery and staff were able to adjust and the D really played great the second half the year. Hopefully we can top it all off with a bowl win in what would be one of the best Eastern seasons ever.

With all the guys we [should] have coming back, along with one of the best recruiting classes ever coming in, I think we should all have high hopes for next season, especially if we can figure out our quarterback situation.
I think the experience that Austin Smith got this season is going to pay big dividends next season.

I hope so! I thought Austin showed flashes of great potential, but I wasn't overly impressed with him as a passer. Hopefully with another offseason he can continue to get better and become a true duel-threat. My guess is either he takes a big step or a transfer comes in. I know some don't like the QB transfer game that Creighton seems to play, but you have to give him credit he has done a pretty good job (Glass, Wiegers, Bryant, Powell).

I agree with you about Austin. I was sitting next to Alum93 at the game and we both agreed that Smith cannot make those 10 yard outs to the sideline like Powell does. He does not have the arm strength right now.

Having said that, Urban Meyer recalled a freshman QB of years past that came to OSU with a below average arm. Long story, short, he improved that arm and won the Heisman. His name was Joe Burrow.
11-27-2022 04:47 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Smith is probably a better athlete than he is QB at this point in his career. He is not as interception prone as Powell and his running ability is an added dimension. There's a lot of upside to Smith. Let's see how he develops.
11-28-2022 06:38 AM
cidbearit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MSU
(11-28-2022 06:38 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Smith is probably a better athlete than he is QB at this point in his career. He is not as interception prone as Powell and his running ability is an added dimension. There's a lot of upside to Smith. Let's see how he develops.

Smith obviously has an edge with the game experience he gained this year, but McCoy is at least as good an athlete as Smith, and reportedly has a stronger arm. It will be interesting to see if the two of them get a chance to battle it out through Winter and then Spring practices. I'm of the mindset that ultimately CC will probably bring in a transfer or a JUCO for QB, but it would be nice to see two internal guys legitimately battling it out.
11-28-2022 09:03 AM
dansplaining Online
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
(11-28-2022 09:03 AM)cidbearit Wrote:  
(11-28-2022 06:38 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Smith is probably a better athlete than he is QB at this point in his career. He is not as interception prone as Powell and his running ability is an added dimension. There's a lot of upside to Smith. Let's see how he develops.

Smith obviously has an edge with the game experience he gained this year, but McCoy is at least as good an athlete as Smith, and reportedly has a stronger arm. It will be interesting to see if the two of them get a chance to battle it out through Winter and then Spring practices. I'm of the mindset that ultimately CC will probably bring in a transfer or a JUCO for QB, but it would be nice to see two internal guys legitimately battling it out.

I like the idea of bringing a JUCO or transfer guy in as depth - not to compete for a starting position
11-28-2022 09:08 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(11-28-2022 09:08 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(11-28-2022 09:03 AM)cidbearit Wrote:  

I like the idea of bringing a JUCO or transfer guy in as depth - not to compete for a starting position

Dan that is not realistic. A football team has to be a meritocracy, the best performers play. Smith will enter the season #1 on the depth chart but if you recruit someone solely as a backup, I doubt you will attract any kind of quality. Cade McNamara ain't gonna transfer from the Michigan bench to sit on EMU's.

You need real depth at the QB position, be that Austin Smith or another talented guy. I suspect that the MACC game will feature two #2's at QB.
11-28-2022 01:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.