Poll: When Will Emoni Get to the NBA?
When does Emoni leave for the NBA (including draft prediction):
11-14-2022 10:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
RE: Poll: When Will Emoni Get to the NBA?
I said first rounder, but I’m even skeptical on that for now. There are many tall guys that can shoot. He’s got shades of a poor man’s Kevin Durant game, being able to get his shot off anywhere and make them even when contested, but his lack of agility and his stiffness will hurt. He struggled to create separation from Michigan defenders, which would only be even more difficult in the NBA.

If he plays like this all year, all bets are off. But, there’s no way he consistently puts up those numbers with that shot selection. As I said in another thread, I’m anxious to see how he will impact the game when his three ball isn’t falling. If he can find other ways to score when he’s ice cold, I’ll buy all the way on him as a first rounder. There’s still a lot that remains to be seen, but I’m excited to watch it unfold.
11-14-2022 10:40 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
i think - and im wrong about so many things - he stays for 2 years
11-14-2022 11:10 AM
Advertisement

cidbearit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MSU
(11-14-2022 11:10 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  i think - and im wrong about so many things - he stays for 2 years

Having read the recent Athletic article about him and reading Emoni's comments about telling his teammates in his apology for his arrest that what he really wants is to be part of a team...and that he's never had that...it seems to me Emoni is looking for some experiences he missed as a younger phenom when his life really wasn't his.

Now that he can make some choices for himself, I could realistically see him staying a couple of years and enjoying the game as he grows into his body. He has a long NBA career ahead of him. His time at EMU is his chance to have fun playing the game with some buddies before it becomes his career.
11-14-2022 11:20 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
I haven't voted yet. I kind of want to think about it so more. That said, I really hope he stays a 2nd year, announces his intentions, and we can get another impact transfer to join he and Noah.

The sky is the limit for this team if we can get a real impact big man/
11-14-2022 11:36 AM
Advertisement

RamyEMU Offline
All American

First, I want to make note, we have a converted basketball fan. Cid is usually devoted to football and his son Alex who plays on the EMU football team. But I valued his recent input on basketball very much!

Second, I hope Dan and Cid are correct that Emoni plays a couple years here. And Cid lays out a compelling argument for it. But I don’t think it happens since there will be too much at risk- injury, poor on-court results, etc.

As I said before, NBA draft picks are made on potential. And Emoni clearly demonstrates that and has for years. I think the arguments that Sam raises are valid- will he improve his agiliity or compensate for a poor shooting night? He may never, and in which case he will not pan out in the NBA. But it is better to figure that out while on a multimillion dollar contract than for free having fun in college. The NBA will draft and draft high willing to have him try to learn on their payroll- they proven this time and time again with lottery pick duds that don’t pan out hoping to get the next LeBron/Kobe for a multi year run in the future playoffs.

But life is far more than just about money. If he is having fun he may want to just enjoy it. Plus, it is not like he is poor either given his current Nike endorsements and such… we’ll see.
11-14-2022 11:40 AM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(11-14-2022 11:36 AM)emu steve Wrote:  I haven't voted yet. I kind of want to think about it so more. That said, I really hope he stays a 2nd year, announces his intentions, and we can get another impact transfer to join he and Noah.

If Emoni stays, there is literally only one scholarship to give. Is that enough? Would have to be a guaranteed impact player.

Also, if Noah continues to play the way he did against UM for the rest of the season, I think we will need to put up a thread on whether or not he stays or tries his hand in the NBA. In which case? EMU would need to be 2 for 2 in adding impact players.
11-14-2022 11:44 AM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
My vote is he stays for another year to refine his game. We need to toughen up the schedule next year against more top notch P5 talent though if he stays.
11-14-2022 11:50 AM
Miggy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Eastern Michigan and Tem
(11-14-2022 11:44 AM)RamyEMU Wrote:  
(11-14-2022 11:36 AM)emu steve Wrote:  I haven't voted yet. I kind of want to think about it so more. That said, I really hope he stays a 2nd year, announces his intentions, and we can get another impact transfer to join he and Noah.

If Emoni stays, there is literally only one scholarship to give. Is that enough? Would have to be a guaranteed impact player.

Also, if Noah continues to play the way he did against UM for the rest of the season, I think we will need to put up a thread on whether or not he stays or tries his hand in the NBA. In which case? EMU would need to be 2 for 2 in adding impact players.

Players with little playing time may decide to go elsewhere thus opening up scholarships. That's a trend.
11-14-2022 12:07 PM
Advertisement

Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

I say 2023 lottery. I think his upside is too tantalizing for the NBA to pass on him. He passed his first test with flying colors and I think he is only going to get better as his confidence grows. Definitely going to be interesting to see how this plays out.
11-14-2022 04:09 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(11-14-2022 10:40 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  I said first rounder, but I’m even skeptical on that for now. There are many tall guys that can shoot. He’s got shades of a poor man’s Kevin Durant game, being able to get his shot off anywhere and make them even when contested, but his lack of agility and his stiffness will hurt. He struggled to create separation from Michigan defenders, which would only be even more difficult in the NBA.

If he plays like this all year, all bets are off. But, there’s no way he consistently puts up those numbers with that shot selection. As I said in another thread, I’m anxious to see how he will impact the game when his three ball isn’t falling. If he can find other ways to score when he’s ice cold, I’ll buy all the way on him as a first rounder. There’s still a lot that remains to be seen, but I’m excited to watch it unfold.

Sam let's enjoy it for this season and drink it all in.

He has FAR more pro potential than Hunter Dickinson even though Dickinson is a far better college player, but Emoni has a much larger upside. NBA teams will speculate with proper training and nutrition, he COULD be the next Kevin Durant.

I doubt he is a lottery pick, but I am sure he gets drafted and gets a whole lot of money. We get one season and I will enjoy the ride for sure.
11-14-2022 07:42 PM
Miggy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Eastern Michigan and Tem
Coaches need to tell all their players to have the mind-set whether on catch and shoot or off the dribble to look for open space and then shoot. Few do.
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2022 10:41 PM by Miggy.)
11-14-2022 10:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.