Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Halloween Hollers"
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
RE: "Halloween Hollers"
(11-02-2022 07:41 AM)emu79 Wrote:  
(11-02-2022 07:37 AM)emu steve Wrote:  '79, I think I "answered" it.
They can be academically ineligible AND still on the roster, so long as they are still in school. NO contradiction to the facts.

Thanks.

Late in the 3rd quarter, EMU has only played 7 players...

Make whatever one will of that... 03-idea
11-02-2022 07:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EdifiedVoyage6 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: EMU
(11-02-2022 07:15 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(11-02-2022 07:41 AM)emu79 Wrote:  
(11-02-2022 07:37 AM)emu steve Wrote:  '79, I think I "answered" it.
They can be academically ineligible AND still on the roster, so long as they are still in school. NO contradiction to the facts.

Thanks.

Late in the 3rd quarter, EMU has only played 7 players...

Make whatever one will of that... 03-idea
I really didn't think it could have been possible
But he does have until January to get everyone ready to play
11-02-2022 08:12 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

11-03-2022 12:09 PM
truEMU07 Offline
Special Teams

(11-03-2022 12:09 PM)emu steve Wrote:  https://emueagles.com/news/2022/11/3/gen...eting.aspx

Hope he brings more to the table than the last guy did.
11-03-2022 12:22 PM
EdifiedVoyage6 Offline
2nd String

So Scott is apparently interviewing for the Mississippi State AD job

https://twitter.com/SSN_EMU/status/15882...s4SDA&s=19
11-03-2022 03:52 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-03-2022 03:52 PM)EdifiedVoyage6 Wrote:  So Scott is apparently interviewing for the Mississippi State AD job

I had this story on Halloween, in my Halloween Monday thread.

I think the bottom line is that he is say one of a half dozen candidates. So take that for what it is worth.
11-03-2022 05:13 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(11-03-2022 03:52 PM)EdifiedVoyage6 Wrote:  So Scott is apparently interviewing for the Mississippi State AD job

I would hardly say he has done a wonderful job as AD, but I don't think he has been a total disaster either. I hope he gets the promotion.

Remember OSU's Gene Smith helped us get Heather.
11-03-2022 05:52 PM
truEMU07 Offline
Special Teams

(11-03-2022 05:52 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  

I would hardly say he has done a wonderful job as AD, but I don't think he has been a total disaster either. I hope he gets the promotion.

Remember OSU's Gene Smith helped us get Heather.

It'd be great for Scott. I look around at the changes and believe that we as an athletic department are in a better place now than we were when we got here.

The goods ultimately outweigh the bads.
11-04-2022 09:16 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

"Halloween Hollers"
Belleville's HC Jermain Crowell was suspended, apparently for breaking some MHSAA rules. I don't know what his qualifications for a college job are but he may be someone that CC should look at for a staff position. The dude recruits a lot of talent.
11-04-2022 01:04 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(11-04-2022 01:04 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  Belleville's HC Jermain Crowell was suspended, apparently for breaking some MHSAA rules. I don't know what his qualifications for a college job are but he may be someone that CC should look at for a staff position. The dude recruits a lot of talent.

I remember a SE Michigan basketball coach with a similar resume'. He hauled a whole bunch of recruits to Buffalo and now coaches Alabama.

Nickel, you have an outstanding idea!
11-04-2022 05:15 PM
EagleHawk Offline
Special Teams

(11-04-2022 01:04 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  Belleville's HC Jermain Crowell was suspended, apparently for breaking some MHSAA rules. I don't know what his qualifications for a college job are but he may be someone that CC should look at for a staff position. The dude recruits a lot of talent.

Doubtful. He didn't even hire Corey Parker and he was an alum, let him just end up at Toledo.

Crowell will probably end up at MSU just like Wilcher or maybe Michigan grabs him.
11-05-2022 03:38 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(11-05-2022 03:38 PM)EagleHawk Wrote:  

Doubtful. He didn't even hire Corey Parker and he was an alum, let him just end up at Toledo.

Crowell will probably end up at MSU just like Wilcher or maybe Michigan grabs him.

When you have a contract through 2026 and are looking at a probable extension with a bowl game this year to 2027 at a school that is not able to buy you out, you have total control of your staff. You can be the OC, keep Neal Neathery and his outdated defense and stay away from HS coaches you might not like. That is totally CC's prerogative.

Harbaugh and Ryan Day both had to ditch their defensive coordinators because they work at schools that will buy them out for middling results. EMU has a football coach that could extend his contract for many years with 6-6 seasons.

Coaching in the MAC is an awfully nice proposition. You get the opportunity to use the league as a springboard like PJ Fleck did for a P5 payday. Or you can get an unreasonably long extension after one successful season and coast it out from there. Not good enough to attract a P5 school and the multi-million dollar offer? You will just have to settle for $600K a year with little accountability for performance for five seasons. Not a bad gig.
11-05-2022 05:22 PM
EagleHawk Offline
Special Teams

(11-05-2022 05:22 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  

When you have a contract through 2026 and are looking at a probable extension with a bowl game this year to 2027 at a school that is not able to buy you out, you have total control of your staff. You can be the OC, keep Neal Neathery and his outdated defense and stay away from HS coaches you might not like. That is totally CC's prerogative.

Harbaugh and Ryan Day both had to ditch their defensive coordinators because they work at schools that will buy them out for middling results. EMU has a football coach that could extend his contract for many years with 6-6 seasons.

Coaching in the MAC is an awfully nice proposition. You get the opportunity to use the league as a springboard like PJ Fleck did for a P5 payday. Or you can get an unreasonably long extension after one successful season and coast it out from there. Not good enough to attract a P5 school and the multi-million dollar offer? You will just have to settle for $600K a year with little accountability for performance for five seasons. Not a bad gig.

It also depends on the school. He'd be shown the door and never extended in the first place if he worked at Toledo, CMU, or WMU.
11-06-2022 09:47 AM
FrankAnderson Online
All American

(11-06-2022 09:47 AM)EagleHawk Wrote:  

It also depends on the school. He'd be shown the door and never extended in the first place if he worked at Toledo, CMU, or WMU.
Is that true nowadays? Tim Leser has been very meh at WMU and many fans have wanted him gone for years. His records haven't been very different from Creighton's the past few years. Candle has consistently underperformed but was allowed to stick around to this point (to be fair, he does seem on track to win the MAC West for the first time, but was given a LOT of time to get here for a Toledo coach).

I just think the athletic department budget realities at MAC schools won't permit very many buyouts anymore. Nothing more than one year early, if at all.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2022 10:18 AM by FrankAnderson.)
11-06-2022 10:18 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(11-06-2022 10:18 AM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  
(11-06-2022 09:47 AM)EagleHawk Wrote:  

Is that true nowadays? Tim Leser has been very meh at WMU and many fans have wanted him gone for years. His records haven't been very different from Creighton's the past few years. Candle has consistently underperformed but was allowed to stick around to this point (to be fair, he does seem on track to win the MAC West for the first time, but was given a LOT of time to get here for a Toledo coach).

I just think the athletic department budget realities at MAC schools won't permit very many buyouts anymore. Nothing more than one year early, if at all.

Frank, as usual, I agree with you.

CMU did buy out Bono but that was after a 1-11 dumpster fire season and the boosters footed the bill. WMU wanted BB coach Hawkins gone but simply let his contract expire like we did with Murphy and THEN hired his assistant at half-price for two seasons. MAC schools are all watching their pennies.

It is pretty clear that most MAC schools are not buying out coaching contracts, boosters are, and their "bar of success" is much lower than in the past. Candle would have been gone earlier if Toledo had the same standards, it did 10 years ago.

EMU is not buying Creighton out, Game Above might, but not on 6-6 seasons with a bowl appearance.
11-06-2022 04:46 PM
EagleHawk Offline
Special Teams

Just to update on this, Crowell has been fired and barred from coaching in Michigan for 2 years.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/high-...672747007/
11-22-2022 08:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.