Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

EMU Athletic Facilities
Bookmark and Share
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
RE: EMU Athletic Facilities
(11-02-2022 03:21 PM)emussuperfan Wrote:  
(11-02-2022 03:05 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  While watching MACtion last night I did a little homework on Ohio's stadium. It used to have a track. They lowered the field 10 ft and extended the bleachers inward. Looks like they also took the dirt they dug up and made a hill at one end.

This is what Rynearson needs.

Which end gets the hill?
South end. Blend it in with the existing hill and allow people to sit there if they want.
11-02-2022 03:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
May have posted this video. Bucknell, 1st stadium in video, has a running track BUT best I 'vee seen.

Very nice colors and the track gets visually lost.

https://youtu.be/LXgKmypillM
12-29-2022 07:55 PM
emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

(11-02-2022 03:55 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  
(11-02-2022 03:21 PM)emussuperfan Wrote:  
(11-02-2022 03:05 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  While watching MACtion last night I did a little homework on Ohio's stadium. It used to have a track. They lowered the field 10 ft and extended the bleachers inward. Looks like they also took the dirt they dug up and made a hill at one end.

This is what Rynearson needs.

Which end gets the hill?
South end. Blend it in with the existing hill and allow people to sit there if they want.

You wouldn't be able see much of the game past mid field. 07-coffee3
12-29-2022 08:44 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(12-29-2022 07:55 PM)emu steve Wrote:  May have posted this video. Bucknell, 1st stadium in video, has a running track BUT best I 'vee seen.

Want to revisit this issue. First stadium is Bucknell.

What makes it special:

1). As I indicated the track is blue and it blends perfectly. Only a small amount of red on the track.

2). As one can see the stands between the 20s are BLUE. Very nice and very easy on the eyes. If Rynearson is HARSH, this stadium is not.

How about EMU:

1). Make the track, if it has to stay, GREEN, with limited red where necessary for T&F.

2). Re-do the stands between the 20s (or 30s) with GREEN aluminum benches.
01-01-2023 03:51 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(01-01-2023 03:51 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(12-29-2022 07:55 PM)emu steve Wrote:  May have posted this video. Bucknell, 1st stadium in video, has a running track BUT best I 'vee seen.

What makes it special:

1). As I indicated the track is blue and it blends perfectly. Only a small amount of red on the track.

2). As one can see the stands between the 20s are BLUE. Very nice and very easy on the eyes. If Rynearson is HARSH, this stadium is not.

How about EMU:

1). Make the track, if it has to stay, GREEN, with limited red where necessary for T&F.

This is putting lipstick on a pig. EMU needs to find a way to build stands close to the field. I feel EMU lost a great opportunity to capture CCs success. Just think how our attendance could have grown with CC at the helm if we had an intimate stadium that created an electric atmosphere.
01-01-2023 09:15 AM
emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

(01-01-2023 09:15 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  

What makes it special:

How about EMU:

This is putting lipstick on a pig. EMU needs to find a way to build stands close to the field. I feel EMU lost a great opportunity to capture CCs success. Just think how our attendance could have grown with CC at the helm if we had an intimate stadium that created an electric atmosphere.
Got to fix them problems with the current one first. 07-coffee3
01-01-2023 01:00 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(01-01-2023 09:15 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  

What makes it special:

How about EMU:

Sweet thoughts and 75M just might get it done.

I agree about the 'lipstick on a pig' comment, though.
01-01-2023 04:45 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

It is reported that today the city of Detroit, et al. will announce that Detroit is a pod for two teams in the 2023 USFL season. Games to be played at Ford Field.
practices at The Factory with players staying in Ann Arbor.

One train of thought is: What to do with the $ that EMU will receive for hosting these practices. We are talking say 100 players. An inconvenience to EMU FB. Here are some suggestions for spending the $. P.S. I have NO idea what the USFL will give EMU. The USFL isn't like the NFL where $1M checks are like $10 to us.

RE: Monday's Matinee Musings
(Today 10:55 AM)cidbearit Wrote:
(Yesterday 10:47 PM)holybovine Wrote:
And bathrooms, concession stands, foundation, etc.

Bingo!

I'm going to copy this thought pattern to the athletic facility thread, which is what it is about...
01-26-2023 09:05 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(01-26-2023 09:05 AM)emu steve Wrote:  It is reported that today the city of Detroit, et al. will announce that Detroit is a pod for two teams in the 2023 USFL season. Games to be played at Ford Field.

One train of thought is: What to do with the $ that EMU will receive for hosting these practices. We are talking say 100 players. An inconvenience to EMU FB. Here are some suggestions for spending the $. P.S. I have NO idea what the USFL will give EMU. The USFL isn't like the NFL where $1M checks are like $10 to us.

Bingo!

I'm going to copy this thought pattern to the athletic facility thread, which is what it is about...

Those would be excellent uses of the money.
01-26-2023 09:57 AM
cidbearit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MSU
(01-26-2023 09:57 AM)emu79 Wrote:  
(01-26-2023 09:05 AM)emu steve Wrote:  It is reported that today the city of Detroit, et al. will announce that Detroit is a pod for two teams in the 2023 USFL season. Games to be played at Ford Field.

Bingo!

Yes, we do not know what the actual revenue would be, but this is a windfall. I'm sure it was not planned into any operations or facilities or general budget, so it represents a real opportunity to do something needed that perhaps was not on the budget horizon. Even if it's only a few 10's of thousands of dollars, that could make a difference to some of the infrastructure needs on the visitors' side of Rynearson. If anything, it could cover the cost of a structural engineer coming in and providing a detailed report as to what needs to be done and what the anticipated costs would be.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2023 12:14 PM by cidbearit.)
01-26-2023 12:13 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(01-26-2023 12:13 PM)cidbearit Wrote:  
(01-26-2023 09:57 AM)emu79 Wrote:  

Bingo!

Yes, we do not know what the actual revenue would be, but this is a windfall. I'm sure it was not planned into any operations or facilities or general budget, so it represents a real opportunity to do something needed that perhaps was not on the budget horizon. Even if it's only a few 10's of thousands of dollars, that could make a difference to some of the infrastructure needs on the visitors' side of Rynearson. If anything, it could cover the cost of a structural engineer coming in and providing a detailed report as to what needs to be done and what the anticipated costs would be.

I'm with you.

I'm just wondering why we hired our facilities director from UDM, another educational institution, that clearly don't have a track record of generating revenue.

Being proximate to the largest concentration of population in the state, our facilities are not even close to producing the potential revenue they could.

Eagle Crest prints money. Why? EMU set up an LLC called Eagle Administrative Services where they "compete" for the men's and women's golf team business. They did not hire a General Manager from another college, they hired an experienced golf professional manager. Something to consider.
01-26-2023 08:07 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

MSU has done this with their parking lots. I have mentioned on this board before.

https://www.wired.com/story/france-solar...ket-newtab
01-30-2023 11:04 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(01-30-2023 11:04 AM)emu79 Wrote:  MSU has done this with their parking lots. I have mentioned on this board before.

Two thoughts:

1). Lansing, yes Lansing, gets more sun energy than folks appreciate. I looked up research on solar for various parts of the country and isn't just AZ, NV, FL, CA, TX, etc. MI is moderately good, I think, even though clouds are a plenty in MI.

2). I did see this done in So. Cal when I was out there in November. A local high school had solar panels over its parking lots. That was the first time I had seen it.

3). Just curious if the GG GA Center is a candidate for solar? The roof is large and flat and unobstructed view of the southern sky. Supposedly the best possible.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2023 11:26 AM by emu steve.)
01-30-2023 11:22 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-30-2023 11:22 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(01-30-2023 11:04 AM)emu79 Wrote:  MSU has done this with their parking lots. I have mentioned on this board before.

Two thoughts:

1). Lansing, yes Lansing, gets more sun energy than folks appreciate. I looked up research on solar for various parts of the country and isn't just AZ, NV, FL, CA, TX, etc. MI is moderately good, I think, even though clouds are a plenty in MI.

2). I did see this done in So. Cal when I was out there in November. A local high school had solar panels over its parking lots. That was the first time I had seen it.

3). Just curious if the GG GA Center is a candidate for solar? The roof is large and flat and unobstructed view of the southern sky. Supposedly the best possible.

The tailgaters would have a fit. One potential hurdle didn't EMU outsource parking? Hey just looking at potential revenue streams. We have some abandoned GM factory lots that are used to generate solar.
01-30-2023 12:38 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(01-30-2023 12:38 PM)emu79 Wrote:  

Two thoughts:

The tailgaters would have a fit. One potential hurdle didn't EMU outsource parking? Hey just looking at potential revenue streams. We have some abandoned GM factory lots that are used to generate solar.

I don't see parking solar canopies, but what about putting solar on the GG GA Center???

Arenas should be "slam dunks"
01-30-2023 01:51 PM
cidbearit Offline
Special Teams

(01-30-2023 01:51 PM)emu steve Wrote:  

Two thoughts:

I don't see parking solar canopies, but what about putting solar on the GG GA Center???

That would definitely require information regarding the load capacity of the GG GA roof. It obviously was built to withstand a significant snow load, but is it strong enough to support the snow load AND the weight of solar panels? My guess is there would need to be some significant reinforcement work required to accommodate all that additional weight.
01-30-2023 02:24 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(01-30-2023 02:24 PM)cidbearit Wrote:  
(01-30-2023 01:51 PM)emu steve Wrote:  

Two thoughts:

That would definitely require information regarding the load capacity of the GG GA roof. It obviously was built to withstand a significant snow load, but is it strong enough to support the snow load AND the weight of solar panels? My guess is there would need to be some significant reinforcement work required to accommodate all that additional weight.

Good question. Probably makes it cost prohibitive.

Certainly not an issue in the sun belt.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2023 02:55 PM by emu steve.)
01-30-2023 02:53 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

If someone wants to see how a school replaced their track and moved side seating... Go to say 4:20 mark. They were fortunate. They didn't have say the GG GA Center so they only moved one set of stands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFRgMF-Zr6Y

BTW, colored benches (e.g., green) would be sweet.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2023 05:48 PM by emu steve.)
02-17-2023 05:45 PM
cidbearit Offline
Special Teams

Sticking this here because I'm not sure where else to put it. Not enough money to do much to facilities, but it could be a start.

https://twitter.com/thevannzee/status/16...4808137728
02-23-2023 04:31 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(02-23-2023 04:31 PM)cidbearit Wrote:  Sticking this here because I'm not sure where else to put it. Not enough money to do much to facilities, but it could be a start.

https://twitter.com/thevannzee/status/16...4808137728

Wouldn't sneeze at it. According to this article it could be say a 1/3 to 1/2 the cost to replace an existing turf.

https://sportsvenuecalculator.com/knowle...fferences.

"The cost to replace a turf football field ranges somewhere between $300,000 and $600,000 depending on the same factors listed above for the new installation of a turf field. In addition you will have to consider the costs of removal and disposal of the old playing surface."

Based on that might one estimate 500k as a starting point to re-do an existing job. P.S. that doesn't include the track.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2023 05:19 PM by emu steve.)
02-23-2023 05:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.