Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Power 3 - A Less Shocking Reordering
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
The Power 3 - A Less Shocking Reordering
I haven't predicted too many wholesale alignments lately because it seems there are too many unknowns. With that said, I'm going to take a stab at this one from the perspective of the SEC coming to peace with the ACC rather than gutting it.

Premise 1: The SEC is successful in prying Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, and Virginia away from the ACC. They do this in exchange for promises of stability and profitability.

Premise 2: ESPN has a valuable asset in the ACC. There's really no reason to break it up if it can be rescued and made more profitable. One thing to consider here is that maybe we've all been a bit hasty if dismissing the value of an East Coast based league.

Premise 3: Both the SEC and the Big Ten could still grow by accessing brands not currently in the ACC.

Premise 4: The ACC has much greater motivation to allow certain members to leave without penalty if they can remain strong and viable after the fact.

SEC adds: Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, Virginia, Kansas, and Colorado

Reasoning: The ACC adds are fairly obvious, but as soon as basketball is liberated from the greedy hands of the NCAA, Kansas is going to become a lot more valuable. Get them now before the rush is on. Colorado makes a nice travel partner and helps establish the SEC in a new region while still remaining contiguous and helping some of the new members integrate with old friendly faces. That and the Denver market is pretty solid. The SEC stands pat at 22.

The Big Ten adds: Notre Dame, Stanford, California, Oregon, Washington, and Utah

Reasoning: They finally get their white whale and that gives them what they really want. The pieces from the PAC 12 are really just about filling out the region and adding decent markets.

ACC/Big 12 conglomerate:

Miami, UCF, Georgia Tech, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Boston College, Cincinnati, Louisville, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Houston, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, SMU, Arizona, Arizona State, BYU

That's a total of 24. I only took away Kansas from that grouping and added 3 more.

Reasoning: This league will have a network that reaches from the Eastern to the Mountain time zones. A little less of a stretch than going into the Pacific...slightly more geographically cohesive considering BYU was already in the Big 12. The ACC Network remains intact rather than ESPN purchasing the PAC 12 Networks or trying to build something from the ground up with the Big 12.
07-18-2022 11:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: The Power 3 - A Less Shocking Reordering
A P3 would be the healthiest.

I couldn't help but recollect some of our discussions on Mr. SEC. 12 years ago. The biggest difference is I like symmetry and you like novel numbers. Other than that it's pretty much the same!
07-19-2022 12:07 AM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
P3 - If I had the ability to shift a couple schools around...
SEC (16) - Missouri + Clemson, Duke, Florida St, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech
B1G (16) - Rutgers + Arizona, California, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Oregon, Stanford, Utah, Washington
XXIV: Arizona St, Baylor, Boston College, BYU, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Houston, Iowa St, Kansas St, Memphis, North Carolina St, Oklahoma St, Oregon St, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, SMU, South Florida, Syracuse, TCU, Temple, Texas Tech, Wake Forest, Washington St, West Virginia // Notre Dame (non-football)

SEC
Atlantic: Clemson, Duke, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech
Southeast: Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida St, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee
Southwest: Arkansas, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt

B1G
Central: Colorado, Kansas, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Northwestern, Wisconsin
North: Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, Penn St, Purdue
Pacific: Arizona, California, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah, Washington

XXIV
Metro: Baylor, Central Florida, Houston, Memphis, North Carolina St, SMU, South Florida, TCU
Northeast: Boston College, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, Wake Forest, West Virginia
West: Arizona St, BYU, Iowa St, Kansas St, Oklahoma St, Oregon St, Texas Tech, Washington St
^ Non-football: Notre Dame
07-19-2022 02:03 AM
Val Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Oklahoma
(07-19-2022 12:07 AM)JRsec Wrote:  A P3 would be the healthiest.

I couldn't help but recollect some of our discussions on Mr. SEC. 12 years ago. The biggest difference is I like symmetry and you like novel numbers. Other than that it's pretty much the same!

Agreed. So long as there's a perceived path to the postseason, and games are "meaningful", there won't be too much struggle against the SEC and B1G in a league for leftovers.
07-19-2022 09:00 AM
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
I would take 10 ACC schools as follows to maintain rivalries and add maybe 2 BigXII SEC schools with new added instate rivals on left side of column
UF, FSU, Miami
UNC, NCST, Duke
Va, VT
UK, Louisville
SC, Clemson
Ga , GT
and from the BigXII
Kansas
WVU
Gives the SEC and ESPN total control of the South that could have an East West 2 division controlled super conference of 28. the schools can be split between East And west if some are reluctant to have another instate rival more then once in Basketball which will have some seriously good basketball programs for Winter viewing.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2022 12:14 PM by CardFan1.)
07-19-2022 12:11 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
I'll take two shots.
Option A: SEC takes Kansas from the Big 12, UNC, NC State, FSU, Miami, Virginia, VT, and Clemson (leaving out GT and Louisville) to go to 24.

That set keeps the Big 10 out of North Carolina and Virginia unless they want to get Duke on their own, which they could. But I think instead the Big 10 would go for Oregon/Washington/Cal/Stanford/GT/Pitt/Syracuse and a spot for ND or take Colorado.

That leaves Arizona/St/Utah/SMU/Boise/SDSU/Louisville/Duke/Memphis/BC/USF/? to go to the Big 12 for the 3rd conference.

Option B: Missouri goes to the Big 10 with Kansas. The Big 10 grabs UVA/UNC Washington/Oregon/ND/Stanford.

The SEC takes NC State/Virginia Tech/Clemson/FSU/Miami and stops at 20.
07-19-2022 12:36 PM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
I am at the point of declaring: "do what you (BIG & SEC) are going to do". This prolonged "will they are won't they (regarding near future expansion)" for me, is getting tiresome.

Are they sticking with 16 or going to 20 or to 24? My guess is they haven't really decided. Conferences and schools below them appear stressed trying to figure out the next moves.

I commend those of you taking the time to write out suggested models of 60, 70, or 80 "power schools". The missing piece in my own speculation is having firm indicators from the P2, and ESPN & Fox, maybe NBC and CBS, as to the paths they are pursuing. If the P2 isn't settled, can the ACC, B12, and PAC define their future at this point? The MWC and the AAC will be impacted also.

Is it hostile takeovers and corporate raiders, or just better separation of the "haves", "sorta haves" and the "have nots"?

I am not meaning to sound cynical. I am saying I want to see the confusion settled soon. That starts with the P2 who began this journey.

If it is about waiting up to a dozen more years on Notre Dame to stand-up from the potty, then say it. These "deciders" are insufferable. No body or entity has assumed an overarching role. It is all broadcasting networks strategizing with individual conferences and schools. The "plan" appears to develop as they go along with bumps and detours and multiple resets.
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2022 03:17 PM by OdinFrigg.)
07-21-2022 03:13 PM
Advertisement

Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
(07-21-2022 03:13 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  I am at the point of declaring: "do what you (BIG & SEC) are going to do". This prolonged "will they are won't they (regarding near future expansion)" for me, is getting tiresome.

Are they sticking with 16 or going to 20 or to 24? My guess is they haven't really decided. Conferences and schools below them appear stressed trying to figure out the next moves.

I commend those of you taking the time to write out suggested models of 60, 70, or 80 "power schools". The missing piece in my own speculation is having firm indicators from the P2, and ESPN & Fox, maybe NBC and CBS, as to the paths they are pursuing. If the P2 isn't settled, can the ACC, B12, and PAC define their future at this point? The MWC and the AAC will be impacted also.

Is it hostile takeovers and corporate raiders, or just better separation of the "haves", "sorta haves" and the "have nots"?

I am not meaning to sound cynical. I am saying I want to see the confusion settled soon. That starts with the P2 who began this journey.

If it is about waiting up to a dozen more years on Notre Dame to stand-up from the potty, then say it. These "deciders" are insufferable. No body or entity has assumed an overarching role. It is all broadcasting networks strategizing with individual conferences and schools. The "plan" appears to develop as they go along with bumps and detours and multiple resets.

I think that the issue here is that the Big 10/SEC actually profit some from creating the instability by not announcing their plans, or announcing plans that no one believes (the SEC "we are fine at 16"... right up until they take UNC/FSU/Clemson/Virginia Tech).

The other issue is that the SEC really can't say for instance, "We are going to expand again, but we have to wait a few years until the GOR of the ACC ends." They kind of have to say "we're okay with 16."

The Big 10 can't say "We're going to take Oregon/Washington and Stanford as soon as ND decides." They have to say "we're good at 16."
07-22-2022 08:27 AM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

(07-22-2022 08:27 AM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  
(07-21-2022 03:13 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  I am at the point of declaring: "do what you (BIG & SEC) are going to do". This prolonged "will they are won't they (regarding near future expansion)" for me, is getting tiresome.

I think that the issue here is that the Big 10/SEC actually profit some from creating the instability by not announcing their plans, or announcing plans that no one believes (the SEC "we are fine at 16"... right up until they take UNC/FSU/Clemson/Virginia Tech).

The other issue is that the SEC really can't say for instance, "We are going to expand again, but we have to wait a few years until the GOR of the ACC ends." They kind of have to say "we're okay with 16."

The Big 10 can't say "We're going to take Oregon/Washington and Stanford as soon as ND decides." They have to say "we're good at 16."

Looking at one matter regarding SEC expansion interests, and it may be the #1 strategic priority right now. The SEC strongly wants the very formidable Charlotte market. That has been an objective for years, but it has moved to the forefront. I live in this regional area, and have heard it from a few somewhat connected types, along with Columbia-Charlotte media sources, and obviously fan chatter.

North Carolina is the major target. NC State could deliver much too.

The SEC will land Charlotte one way or another. With that will come a very healthy chunk of the Raleigh-Durham demographics and the State of North Carolina in general.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2022 08:30 AM by OdinFrigg.)
07-23-2022 08:10 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-23-2022 08:10 AM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  

Looking at one matter regarding SEC expansion interests, and it may be the #1 strategic priority right now; is that the SEC strongly wants the very formidable Charlotte market. That has been an objective for years, but it has moved to the forefront. I live in this regional area, and have heard it from a few somewhat connected types, along with regional Columbia-Charlotte media, and obviously fan chatter.

The SEC will land Charlotte one way or another. With that will come a healthy chuck of the Raleigh-Durham demographics and the State of North Carolina in general.

And I've heard that this time UNC's travel mate is not Duke, but rather NC State.
07-23-2022 08:28 AM
Advertisement

OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

(07-23-2022 08:28 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

Looking at one matter regarding SEC expansion interests, and it may be the #1 strategic priority right now; is that the SEC strongly wants the very formidable Charlotte market. That has been an objective for years, but it has moved to the forefront. I live in this regional area, and have heard it from a few somewhat connected types, along with regional Columbia-Charlotte media, and obviously fan chatter.

The SEC will land Charlotte one way or another. With that will come a healthy chuck of the Raleigh-Durham demographics and the State of North Carolina in general.

And I've heard that this time UNC's travel mate is not Duke, but rather NC State.

Concur. I anticipate both due to NC politics and the structure of the University System governing board.

Either school going to the Big 10 will not happen. Where Duke, UVA, and VPI may end up, would be quite interesting. To fracture that GoR, it will take promised placements for near all that are viable. While I express my frustrations with having clarity in limbo, I do believe this is the angle being worked-on. More PAC and B12 extractions may be on hold until the penetration of the ACC becomes a reality. The BIG is pursing Notre Dame, trying for UVA and/or Duke, and perhaps Miami.
07-23-2022 12:13 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-23-2022 12:13 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  
(07-23-2022 08:28 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

Concur. I anticipate both due to NC politics and the structure of the University System governing board.

Either school going to the Big 10 will not happen. Where Duke, UVA, and VPI may end up, would be quite interesting. To fracture that GoR, it will take promised placements for near all that are viable. While I express my frustrations with having clarity in limbo, I do believe this is the angle being worked-on. More PAC and B12 extractions may be on hold until the penetration of the ACC becomes a reality. The BIG is pursing Notre Dame, trying for UVA and/or Duke, and perhaps Miami.

UVa, Duke, Miami and N.D. would be acceptable losses to the B1G IMO. Provided of course that we land FSU, UNC, N.C. State, and Va Tech. Then with Clemson, Ga Tech, Kansas and one of (Louisville or Colorado, or another Texas school)
07-23-2022 02:48 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
I've come to think Florida State, Clemson, Miami, and North Carolina are the schools most interested in bucking the leadership of the conference and moving on. Moving them all to the SEC seems reasonable for all parties.

Miami isn't exactly "Southern," but it's also a huge market and a strong brand name. We might as well be tapping a new state. They've obviously renewed their commitment too. The Big Ten may very well want them, but I think they'd be more valuable in the SEC and I just don't see a reason to let them go elsewhere.

If UNC wants NC State to come along then that's no problem. The state of NC would be unquestioned SEC territory. Georgia Tech has some merit too. Giving schools more opportunities to play in Atlanta and restoring some old fashioned rivalries for schools that aren't that far from GT. An easy trip for most and a more intriguing game than your typical G5 or FCS squad being on the schedule.

2 more? Virginia Tech is a good fit and we know UVA will likely be off to the Big Ten so they would both be taken care of. No issue for the politicians there unless they demanded they be in the same league for some reason.

1 more?

Louisville is a good candidate for rivalry purposes, but they really have little history with anyone not named Kentucky. Of course, they've been in the ACC a while, but it's not as though any of the defectors are primarily concerned with the destination of Louisville. Unless Kentucky is fighting for them then I don't see it happening.

Kansas is another strong option. A rival for Missouri and Oklahoma, a great basketball brand that will help the SEC's appeal nationwide outside of football season.

Colorado is intriguing to me. A little outside the box, but Denver is a great market. That and CU has a decent brand name, they just haven't been competitive in a while. Being the only real name in their state helps.

Under this scenario, we've got 3 FL schools. Do you go for a 3rd TX schools for recruiting purposes as well? Baylor makes sense on some level. They've shown a lot of commitment in the last 15 years although they've had serious scandals too. Upside is there and they're not reliant on a single large market like TCU or Houston. Competitive in both major revenue sports.
07-23-2022 04:41 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-23-2022 04:41 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  I've come to think Florida State, Clemson, Miami, and North Carolina are the schools most interested in bucking the leadership of the conference and moving on. Moving them all to the SEC seems reasonable for all parties.

Miami isn't exactly "Southern," but it's also a huge market and a strong brand name. We might as well be tapping a new state. They've obviously renewed their commitment too. The Big Ten may very well want them, but I think they'd be more valuable in the SEC and I just don't see a reason to let them go elsewhere.

If UNC wants NC State to come along then that's no problem. The state of NC would be unquestioned SEC territory. Georgia Tech has some merit too. Giving schools more opportunities to play in Atlanta and restoring some old fashioned rivalries for schools that aren't that far from GT. An easy trip for most and a more intriguing game than your typical G5 or FCS squad being on the schedule.

2 more? Virginia Tech is a good fit and we know UVA will likely be off to the Big Ten so they would both be taken care of. No issue for the politicians there unless they demanded they be in the same league for some reason.

1 more?

Louisville is a good candidate for rivalry purposes, but they really have little history with anyone not named Kentucky. Of course, they've been in the ACC a while, but it's not as though any of the defectors are primarily concerned with the destination of Louisville. Unless Kentucky is fighting for them then I don't see it happening.

Kansas is another strong option. A rival for Missouri and Oklahoma, a great basketball brand that will help the SEC's appeal nationwide outside of football season.

Colorado is intriguing to me. A little outside the box, but Denver is a great market. That and CU has a decent brand name, they just haven't been competitive in a while. Being the only real name in their state helps.

Under this scenario, we've got 3 FL schools. Do you go for a 3rd TX schools for recruiting purposes as well? Baylor makes sense on some level. They've shown a lot of commitment in the last 15 years although they've had serious scandals too. Upside is there and they're not reliant on a single large market like TCU or Houston. Competitive in both major revenue sports.

You have to be looking at a Map of the U.S. to see Colorado's potential. The one more could be Texas Tech for now.

We don't know if the ACC will stay constrained or not. Add Kansas and USF if they are constrained. In 14 years, FSU and Miami will be damaged goods if trapped at over a half billion-dollar deficit to SEC and B1G schools. USF in that time will likely be AAU and with SEC branding would become the #2 Florida school behind UF. 14 years also kill Clemson, Va Tech, and N.C. State and Georgia Tech could drop sports under that burden.

The SEC needs a backup plan and USF enhancement is it. Kansas opens up Colorado, which opens up BYU, Utah, Arizona, & Arizona State and with them Texas Tech can play a role in integrating a SEC West in case the ACC gets left behind.

If the ACC comes to its senses, then Miami and FSU close out the state, Ga Tech closes out the Deep South, Clemson keeps its value, and UNC and N.C. State essentially stop the B1G in North Carolina should they take Duke. Pick up Va Tech and Kansas and we are done.

Then if in the future some of the P3 are absorbed in moving to 2 leagues we have a pathway West.
07-23-2022 04:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.