Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: It appears that ODU
(09-25-2020 04:00 PM)benny_t Wrote:  
(09-25-2020 02:56 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(09-25-2020 02:38 PM)benny_t Wrote:  
(09-25-2020 02:28 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(09-25-2020 02:20 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  ODU & UCONN are Basketball schools. I'm sure neither school has even thought about reconsidering their decisions. That's not who they are.

If it's mostly COVID-related, that hasn't changed in the past two months. If it's mostly financial, nothing there has changed either.

According to the Washington post piece by Selig and Broderick it was about the safety of the player, no mention of finanves. Like you said nothing has changed so let's just go ahead and cancel basketball season for the safety of those players too.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

First, I don't think anyone is going to come out and say "we aren't playing because of finances." I would be 100 percent shocked if it wasn't at least a consideration. There's a reason the FCS schools aren't playing by and large, because they don't get much money from it. There's a reason the SEC stayed the course and the Big Ten reversed course, and I'm pretty sure it has a lot to do with a bunch of capital Ss with one or two vertical lines through them.

Second, if they follow the successful NBA bubble system, there's no reason ODU can't play basketball. I am NOT against college athletics happening this year, I just want it to be done with an overabundance of caution and due diligence. I don't think that's an unreasonable ask.
How do you see a bubble system working. Aren't all the teams in the same bubble in the NBA. That will never work for college. So they will still be traveling which was one of the safety concerns.

It won't be exactly like the NBA bubble, but it'll share similarities. All of ESPN's early-season tournaments are going to be held in Orlando, and apparently there's talk of crossover games between teams in different tournaments.

So say there's a Virginia "bubble" or whatever euphemism they would use. You could have most if not every D1 school in Richmond, or Charlottesville, or Norfolk, and maybe a couple of schools from NC or Maryland. Put them in one or two hotels near the arena, they only see the hotel, the gym, whatever the practice facility would be, and the shuttle between them. Then bang out 4 to 6 OOC games between participating schools over the course of, say, a week to 10 days.

In theory you could do the entire CUSA season at The Star. Everyone goes there, plays a 13-game schedule (everyone once), then seed a tournament accordingly.

Obviously there's a lot of moving parts here, and it's no sure thing that it would work out even half as well as I hope. But the potential is there at least.
09-25-2020 04:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rileylives Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
Y'all need to tone it down about the virus thing. At some point, you're going to have to move on with your life.

You go out to get groceries don't you? Isn't there inherent risk in anything that we do?

Come on man, at some point you've got to strike a healthy balance of taking healthy precautions, but moving forward. Your mental health is as important as your physical health.
09-25-2020 04:52 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
I understand why you made the decision you did AT THE TIME.

However, I woudn't want to be in your shoes, as a program. I HATE, HATE the hypocrisy of the power players coming back. They've kind of forced everyone's hand.

You are going to die on the vine if you stay with the current plan. I don't envy your position right now.

As for the other issue. There is no way we will do a bubble plan for basketball.

Maybe the big boys can afford to do so, however, testing our programs three times a week is about all we could afford.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2020 05:13 PM by rileylives.)
09-25-2020 05:11 PM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

Wow so many Athletic Directors in one thread. Apparently being an AD is as simple as screaming at 18 to 20 year old's from the comfort of your seat at the stadium or your couch at home. The decision was made and looks like Wood Selig is sticking with it and as an AD he is responsible for keeping the athletic dept alive so he might know a thing or two that you don't as a casual message board poster. If there are adverse affects that will impact his career then i am sure he has given it a thought or two. As per this whole thing it has more to do with finances that go with keeping the athletes safe and ODU will be just fine. You have to understand that the rules we have to play by are different than what Y'all have to. As per not playing, while i am not happy i do understand why they did what they did so personally i made my peace. Even if they want to now there is simply no way they can cook up a reasonable schedule since the conference has moved on with the play. I am expecting may be an exhibition game against a local FCS school and then Fall 2021 it is for ODU. I don't see games in spring happening at all.
09-25-2020 07:04 PM
PSCNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
(09-25-2020 12:54 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(09-25-2020 12:07 PM)rileylives Wrote:  
(09-25-2020 11:52 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  There has never been any indication fromt he school that they were coming back. We just recently just started half practicing after having restrictions on capacity lifted a few weeks ago.

We really have no reason to play.

That's not true. So you want an entire year of rust with no games when literally every other single program on the FBS level seems to be playing?

So you're already down as a program, you want to continue to extend that I guess.

UAB was dark for two years and they managed. They made a decision that they thought was in the best interest of their community, and if they change their mind, I hope it's for more solid reasoning than "well So-and-So State is playing, let's follow the others!"

By the way, wasn't ODU pilloried here for being "lemmings" and cancelling their season? Now people are made because they're not being lemmings and reinstating it?

UAB got all kinds of help from the NCAA.
09-25-2020 07:35 PM
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Monarchs!!!
(09-25-2020 04:52 PM)rileylives Wrote:  Y'all need to tone it down about the virus thing. At some point, you're going to have to move on with your life.

You go out to get groceries don't you? Isn't there inherent risk in anything that we do?

Come on man, at some point you've got to strike a healthy balance of taking healthy precautions, but moving forward. Your mental health is as important as your physical health.

How many games have been postponed? COVID is not gone and will be accompanied by the flu shortly.
09-25-2020 10:59 PM
VB Monarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
When a vaccine that actually works is available to everyone, then it'll be time to move on.
09-26-2020 05:54 AM
jaminniner Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Charlotte
(09-26-2020 05:54 AM)VB Monarch Wrote:  When a vaccine that actually works is available to everyone, then it'll be time to move on.

By that time another virus will exist which will scare you back into your bunker.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2020 09:36 PM by jaminniner.)
09-26-2020 07:49 AM
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB

BlazerTalk Award
Just kidding here as being UAB & affected by ODU decision, look at it this way they're using UAB shutdown model to become more competitive sooner. All their players get to sit out for at least a year to get better in school & grow in strength yet lose no eligibility in the mean time so they end up w/ massive # of upper classmen w/ less wear. Due to our shutdown, we had 2 players that really benefited - 1 got his masters & was playing this yr & the other could have come back this yr but decided to move on w/ life.
09-26-2020 09:02 AM
benny_t Offline
All American

(09-25-2020 04:29 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(09-25-2020 04:00 PM)benny_t Wrote:  
(09-25-2020 02:56 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(09-25-2020 02:38 PM)benny_t Wrote:  
(09-25-2020 02:28 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  If it's mostly COVID-related, that hasn't changed in the past two months. If it's mostly financial, nothing there has changed either.

According to the Washington post piece by Selig and Broderick it was about the safety of the player, no mention of finanves. Like you said nothing has changed so let's just go ahead and cancel basketball season for the safety of those players too.

First, I don't think anyone is going to come out and say "we aren't playing because of finances." I would be 100 percent shocked if it wasn't at least a consideration. There's a reason the FCS schools aren't playing by and large, because they don't get much money from it. There's a reason the SEC stayed the course and the Big Ten reversed course, and I'm pretty sure it has a lot to do with a bunch of capital Ss with one or two vertical lines through them.

Second, if they follow the successful NBA bubble system, there's no reason ODU can't play basketball. I am NOT against college athletics happening this year, I just want it to be done with an overabundance of caution and due diligence. I don't think that's an unreasonable ask.
How do you see a bubble system working. Aren't all the teams in the same bubble in the NBA. That will never work for college. So they will still be traveling which was one of the safety concerns.

It won't be exactly like the NBA bubble, but it'll share similarities. All of ESPN's early-season tournaments are going to be held in Orlando, and apparently there's talk of crossover games between teams in different tournaments.

So say there's a Virginia "bubble" or whatever euphemism they would use. You could have most if not every D1 school in Richmond, or Charlottesville, or Norfolk, and maybe a couple of schools from NC or Maryland. Put them in one or two hotels near the arena, they only see the hotel, the gym, whatever the practice facility would be, and the shuttle between them. Then bang out 4 to 6 OOC games between participating schools over the course of, say, a week to 10 days.

In theory you could do the entire CUSA season at The Star. Everyone goes there, plays a 13-game schedule (everyone once), then seed a tournament accordingly.

Obviously there's a lot of moving parts here, and it's no sure thing that it would work out even half as well as I hope. But the potential is there at least.
Are we just going to act like they are no longer students. Let's just ship the athletes to their bubble and not even pretend to care about them going to class. Come on, you know that crap would never fly.

09-26-2020 10:43 AM
benny_t Offline
All American

(09-25-2020 07:04 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  Wow so many Athletic Directors in one thread. Apparently being an AD is as simple as screaming at 18 to 20 year old's from the comfort of your seat at the stadium or your couch at home. The decision was made and looks like Wood Selig is sticking with it and as an AD he is responsible for keeping the athletic dept alive so he might know a thing or two that you don't as a casual message board poster. If there are adverse affects that will impact his career then i am sure he has given it a thought or two. As per this whole thing it has more to do with finances that go with keeping the athletes safe and ODU will be just fine. You have to understand that the rules we have to play by are different than what Y'all have to. As per not playing, while i am not happy i do understand why they did what they did so personally i made my peace. Even if they want to now there is simply no way they can cook up a reasonable schedule since the conference has moved on with the play. I am expecting may be an exhibition game against a local FCS school and then Fall 2021 it is for ODU. I don't see games in spring happening at all.
It can be about finances but wood and Selig had their article in the Washington post about how their top concern was player safety and players voiced their concerns about safety so that's why they made the decision they did. No mention of finances. If it was all about money then that is BS. How can every other team in CUSA and sun belt figure out a way to make it work but we couldn't. Yet we have the largest budget in the conference and we throw in the towel on the season.

Then theirs the people who said we couldn't have more than 50 gathered so we couldn't practice. Wasn't NC under the same restrictions. Somehow those schools made it work. Our ****** athletic department just chose to throw in the towel and not try. And now pos Woodnis talking about how excited he is for basketball season yet nothing has changed with the virus but here we are getting ready.

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2020 10:48 AM by benny_t.)
09-26-2020 10:47 AM
HogDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LA Tech
(09-25-2020 03:44 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(09-25-2020 12:07 PM)rileylives Wrote:  
(09-25-2020 11:52 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  There has never been any indication fromt he school that they were coming back. We just recently just started half practicing after having restrictions on capacity lifted a few weeks ago.

We really have no reason to play.

That's not true. So you want an entire year of rust with no games when literally every other single program on the FBS level seems to be playing?

So you're already down as a program, you want to continue to extend that I guess.

Playing bc I am worried about rust would be the last thing on my mind.

See........I told you so. 03-lmfao Basketball school.
09-26-2020 10:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.