Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MBB: JMU at Towson, 1/18, 2pm
Bookmark and Share
Bawlmer Duke Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
RE: MBB: JMU at Towson, 1/18, 2pm
UNCW beat Northeastern at home in OT. Either the Huskies forgot to get off the bus, or the interim UNCW coach was a needed change in the locker room and the admin down in Wilmington pulled the trigger at the right time.

The DNR beat writer doesn't have much to say about the program. Either A) he is treading lightly on the subject of Rowe and this sinking (sunk) ship B) Doesn't have solid access to the program C) Isn't a good for the MBB beat (harsh)

Did anyone check and see if the bus driver let Rowe off somewhere in Maryland or at least on 81 north of H'Burg?

I no longer waste money on FloSports (which DNR writer poked fun at prior to the game), but I agree with other posters who ask why do we keep running out the same lineup? Or keep trying the same thing? Rowe appears to have lost the team.

Out of boredom...

JMU FT % ranking is #337 at 62.3%
The undisciplined United States Military Academy sits at the bottom with St. Louis at 57.4%

JMU FG rank 268 - 42%
3pt % rank 233 - 32.3%

JMU defensive rank #315 @ 75.9 PPG
01-19-2020 07:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
What has been somewhat interesting is Rowe has started Wilson and Jacobs for the past 3 games (first time all year). However he doesn’t stick with it. By the first media timeout one of them is removed and then they never play together for the rest of the game.
So it has been a change in Rowe’s player rotation, but really just window dressing.

Over the last 3 games Wilson and Jacobs have combined to average 42 minutes a game. It is still essentially a platoon where they sub for each other. I would like to see what they can do together because their skills are very different. Jacobs is much better on defense and Wilson is better on offense. Thursday will be a game against W&M’s twin towers. It is Perhaps not only a chance to start Wilson and Jacobs, but to leave them in together for long stretches of the game.
01-19-2020 08:41 AM
JMUNation Offline
All American

Thursday will be a blood bath. This team will be 2-7 or worse at the halfway point of the conference schedule. A total shock given the 7-4 start. I really thought this team would go no worse than 9-9 this year.

We all have said there is talent on this team. I just don’t see it. Talent makes wide open shots and free throws. Talent plays defense.

Lou was hired because he was believed to be a good recruiter. He is into year four now and his recruiting is not showing up to be as good as we all thought. Driesell was believed to be a good recruiter too and it showed with his win-loss record.

We all thought Lewis , Banks and Wilson were good players. Good players hold onto leads and don’t give up so many points night in and night out. Good players can overcome bad coaching at least 50% of the time. Let’s face it, we don’t have good players. We have players that show flashes of good play.
01-19-2020 11:21 AM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

(01-19-2020 12:28 AM)olddawg Wrote:  
(01-19-2020 12:13 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  How on earth do they seemingly get other hires right, yet screw this major one up time after time after time?

Serially, nigh on 3 decades?

This, right here, is why 79.8% of our fan base is even still on board!

My gosh, my goodness. What’s been done here is near criminal. Used to be packed houses.

And this is why, and I can't emphasize this enough, that all new blood needs to pick our next coach. King and Bourne are 0-3. Alger was on the last search panel and signed off on Lou. And any Board member who was on the search committee that came up w/ Rowe is also banned.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result."

Didn't they hire an outside consulting firm on the last few hires? It's by far the biggest tarnish on Bourne's legacy as AD at JMU. Rowe was a lazy hire. He didn't do anything to actually earn the job.

Trying to look at the bright side, at least we have some freshman with some potential. Hopefully that and the new building will help attract some competent candidates for the job.
01-19-2020 11:33 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-19-2020 11:21 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  Thursday will be a blood bath. This team will be 2-7 or worse at the halfway point of the conference schedule. A total shock given the 7-4 start. I really thought this team would go no worse than 9-9 this year.

We all have said there is talent on this team. I just don’t see it. Talent makes wide open shots and free throws. Talent plays defense.

Lou was hired because he was believed to be a good recruiter. He is into year four now and his recruiting is not showing up to be as good as we all thought. Driesell was believed to be a good recruiter too and it showed with his win-loss record.

We all thought Lewis , Banks and Wilson were good players. Good players hold onto leads and don’t give up so many points night in and night out. Good players can overcome bad coaching at least 50% of the time. Let’s face it, we don’t have good players. We have players that show flashes of good play.

I’m not 100% convinced either way, but this is a good point. We have an athletic team, but they sure do struggle to hit shots and free throws.

While most have believed Lou is a great recruiter, folks at ECU believed Montgomery was too, and for the most part they were wrong on that.
01-19-2020 01:03 PM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

(01-19-2020 08:41 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  What has been somewhat interesting is Rowe has started Wilson and Jacobs for the past 3 games (first time all year). However he doesn’t stick with it. By the first media timeout one of them is removed and then they never play together for the rest of the game.
So it has been a change in Rowe’s player rotation, but really just window dressing.

This was brought up in a Monday press conference. The question was similar to 'ever thought of playing both Jacobs and Wilson since they have been playing well?' Rowe's response was along the lines of 'it's like you're reading my mind'. Here's the problem- who wasn't wondering about this?
Perhaps he was feeling the pressure and decided to do it. I have noticed that he stops doing it though. It comes across as lip service to me. Perhaps he is doing it because he feels like he needs to, but doesn't he see that it helps even a little? Maybe he doesn't know how to sustain it.
Rowe just doesn't get it. He's stuck on his ways and his ways are terrible.
01-19-2020 01:21 PM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

(01-19-2020 12:28 AM)olddawg Wrote:  
(01-19-2020 12:13 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  How on earth do they seemingly get other hires right, yet screw this major one up time after time after time?

Serially, nigh on 3 decades?

This, right here, is why 79.8% of our fan base is even still on board!

My gosh, my goodness. What’s been done here is near criminal. Used to be packed houses.

And this is why, and I can't emphasize this enough, that all new blood needs to pick our next coach. King and Bourne are 0-3. Alger was on the last search panel and signed off on Lou. And any Board member who was on the search committee that came up w/ Rowe is also banned.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result."

As long as they are in charge, it doesn't matter if they do the hiring or if they hire a firm. They are still setting the parameters. They are still determining how much they cost.
They WILL use an outside consultant company- that I have no doubt. If they don't they might as well be screaming from the heavens that they have no desire to do the right thing.
The question is do they finally decide to pay a salary that makes the job more desirable.
01-19-2020 01:28 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

Did anybody listen to the post-game interview with LR? (I assume LR made an appearance). Curious as to what LR had to share.
01-19-2020 02:11 PM
Dukes84 Offline
All American

Here are my thoughts for what it's worth:

1. I thought that Rowe would probably fall somewhere down the middle of the season with respect to his future. I thought that the team would improve in season and had bolstered its assistants significantly. I thought that the freshman class would really add to the team. I thought that the CAA was ripe for the picking. Well, I thought wrong. Rowe has made the decision easy for the JMU administration. This season has gone off the tracks completely. I suspect that Rowe will submit his resignation prior to the end of the season, along the lines of what Keener did in his fourth season.
2. The talent question is an interesting one. I think that this is a talented team, but they don't play to their strengths on either side of the ball. What I saw yesterday, for example, was a stilted offense that was overly deliberate in the first half. Towson took away Lewis as an offensive threat and he continued to hoist up shots, missing 8 in a row at one point. The usual lull happened at the beginning of the second half (actually started at the end of the first), when Towson blew the game open. Rowe was too slow to call a time out. The game went to a more chaotic approach, which probably fits JMU's personnel better and is how they should probably play. As soon as they got the game within striking distance (say 4 or 5 points), they went right back to playing how they started the game and that took care of that; i.e., giving them no chance to close it out with a win.
3. Echoing what others have said, I don't understand why Rowe is incapable of trying different things, although yesterday he said the right things in the postgame interview. That is to say that JMU has to have ball and player movement on offense. They too often don't play as a team, but go back to the one on one philosophy that doesn't work. I don't understand why Flowers, Richey and Hobbs aren't given a chance, with the first two of those guys known as being good perimeter shooters and Hobbs as a good ball handler that can get to the rim. Pinkard, meanwhile, has very little skill yet gets playing time.
4. Back to the talent issue: I think that Banks and Christmas are the two most talented players on the team. Banks too often plays second fiddle to Lewis, who is really only a complementary player, not a lead player. Christmas too often sits at the expense of Wooden, who's not the same level talent. Harvey, a very promising player, sits so that Pinkard can play.
5. I think the other factor that's not mentioned enough is that other teams play harder than JMU. They want it more. We're too laid back and passive. It's during those lull periods that games are won and lost. And finally, the team gave up 47 points in the second half, part of a season long pattern of collapse on the defensive end in the second half.
6. With the right coaching staff, this team should be a lot better next year. They'll need to bolster the roster in a couple of areas, though.
7. Flo Sports isn't perfect, but it enables one to watch the games for $12.50 a month. Cancel it after the 4 month season.
01-19-2020 02:34 PM
nyduke Offline
1st String

I Root For: jmu
Dukes 84 i agree with most of what you say but in regards to #6 i could see a new staff welcoming some players leaving. Losing tradition is hard to break sometimes and those not playing now are not necessarily needed and could open up scholarships for new players
another thing is the current core group will be told by others to possibly transfer and play somewhere else which might not be a bad thing for new incoming staff as well.
Of course we'd like to see this core group stay, but doubt that happens....the fact so many are seniors could play a role.
01-19-2020 02:48 PM
Dukeman2 Offline
Special Teams

NJDuke97 – 9/20/19
“I really believe we are losing so many recruiting battles because our current players are so talented that playing time is a concern, not instability or losses over past three seasons”.

Jeff Bourne – Madison Magazine, 2019
“Many fans and media look at wins and losses. Often, coaches are evaluated upon results on the field. This does a disservice to the importance of the individual as a human being. Everyone has a place and a purpose. Everyone brings value……”

“We win because of our culture, the structure of support, and the quality of people; not because of superior athletic ability or strategy.”
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2020 03:59 PM by Dukeman2.)
01-19-2020 03:56 PM
jmudukes001 Offline
Special Teams

I thought a coaching change might be made last week during the week off, but with no change last week, it probably means nothing will happen before the end of the season.

But there is still time to make a change and make some noise in the CAA this season with a new voice in charge. I think the talent is there. We were picked by most magazines and coaches to finish fourth or even third in the CAA. You never know, but a new voice can bring a couple consecutive wins, which can give confidence and lead to several more wins. At the least, our players may have a better feeling going into the offseason if we win a bunch of games before the end of the season. Based on the expectations this season, I give the players credit for even wanting to go to practice, based on the disaster so far. Just wasted talent and a wasted season.

UNCW got a new voice in charge and is already playing noticeably better. Good think we played them before their coaching change.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2020 04:28 PM by jmudukes001.)
01-19-2020 04:27 PM
JMU85 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes of JMU
Serious question. Why are so many concerned if several players transfer with a coaching change? Do the 4 Juniors transfer and sit out a year to play 1 year? If so, who really cares? The Freshman class may be athletic but not one of them blows me away with their basketball ability. Blow everything up and start new. It has been 20+ years of futility so what is another few years "if" a good hire is made?
01-19-2020 04:45 PM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

(01-19-2020 04:45 PM)JMU85 Wrote:  Serious question. Why are so many concerned if several players transfer with a coaching change? Do the 4 Juniors transfer and sit out a year to play 1 year? If so, who really cares? The Freshman class may be athletic but not one of them blows me away with their basketball ability. Blow everything up and start new. It has been 20+ years of futility so what is another few years "if" a good hire is made?

It doesn't matter if it happens next year or the year after or the year after. Guys will leave.
The way I see it, they would be pretty dumb to stay this year and leave next year. Next year is year one of the new arena. The team should be improved.
If they hire the right guy (highly questionable), the team should be much better.
01-19-2020 05:14 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
MBB: JMU at Towson, 1/18, 2pm
(01-19-2020 11:21 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  Thursday will be a blood bath. This team will be 2-7 or worse at the halfway point of the conference schedule. A total shock given the 7-4 start. I really thought this team would go no worse than 9-9 this year.

I’ll admit to conflating talent and athleticism on occasion in that regard.

Good point, they are NOT the same thing. These guys can all run, they can jump high, they can do lots of athletic stuff. What they apparently can’t do, or aren’t/haven’t been taught how to do, is win games at a D-1 level.

Could they? I think likely so, but they ain’ gonna overcome or do it on their own.

Something’s just not right, and whether we like it or not that points in one direction.

Tis indeed a shame, but dems facts. We just aren’t very good...
01-19-2020 05:53 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
(01-19-2020 03:56 PM)Dukeman2 Wrote:  NJDuke97 – 9/20/19
“I really believe we are losing so many recruiting battles because our current players are so talented that playing time is a concern, not instability or losses over past three seasons”.

Jeff Bourne – Madison Magazine, 2019
“Many fans and media look at wins and losses. Often, coaches are evaluated upon results on the field. This does a disservice to the importance of the individual as a human being. Everyone has a place and a purpose. Everyone brings value……”

“We win because of our culture, the structure of support, and the quality of people; not because of superior athletic ability or strategy.”

Dukeman2 I maintain that whoever is the coach will get some good mid major players for the 2021 recruiting class (the guys who replace Banks, Lewis, Jacobs and Wilson) due to playing time and opportunity.

All the more reason that despite the current state of the program it was best to bring Rowe back for one more year based on how it lines up with recruiting classes, chances at player retention etc.

Had you let him go last off season you would have lost more than you will this off season based on where kids are in their career with JMU. The new coach would have had to bring in a lot more players quickly and late in the recruiting cycle. A new coach will have 1/2 to 1 year to recruit for the key 2021 class.
01-20-2020 09:04 AM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

(01-19-2020 02:48 PM)nyduke Wrote:  Dukes 84 i agree with most of what you say but in regards to #6 i could see a new staff welcoming some players leaving. Losing tradition is hard to break sometimes and those not playing now are not necessarily needed and could open up scholarships for new players
another thing is the current core group will be told by others to possibly transfer and play somewhere else which might not be a bad thing for new incoming staff as well.
Of course we'd like to see this core group stay, but doubt that happens....the fact so many are seniors could play a role.

Question is how many are on track to graduate in 3 years so they can be grad transfers. Other variables as well- Jacobs parents went to JMU, Wilson is on record as saying he wants his time at JMU to be a turning point for the program- unfinished business. Lewis will be going for 2000 points and his girlfriend is still on the women's team for the next couple of seasons.

I think if JMU asks quickly you could see a lot of these guys return to play for the next coach in the first year of the new building and try to leave JMU as winners.

As for the younger guys- not as sure- Christmas's high school coach is a JMU alum. Again- if done the right way I think all parties will realize it was a fair move and a change had to be made and they will be more likely to stay in the program.
01-20-2020 09:08 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(01-19-2020 04:45 PM)JMU85 Wrote:  Serious question. Why are so many concerned if several players transfer with a coaching change? Do the 4 Juniors transfer and sit out a year to play 1 year? If so, who really cares? The Freshman class may be athletic but not one of them blows me away with their basketball ability. Blow everything up and start new. It has been 20+ years of futility so what is another few years "if" a good hire is made?

I agree.....so what if a few of them leave for perceived greener pastures. The basketball program cannot be held hostage b/c a player or 2 may leave. I mean look at the record, what would we really be losing and who knows how they will be replaced, could be with better players.
01-20-2020 09:15 AM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

guys we can debate about rotations, playing time, lineups etc. but the reality is that in aggregate this is not a good basketball team. They have not progressed- they have regressed. They shoot a poor percentage likely because of poor ball movement and a poor offense and they give up too many easy baskets because of bad defense. They have some ability at times- a few possessions in a row they will look ok or even borderline good but they can't sustain it.

They are prone to long losing streaks the same way they are prone to long stretches within games of poor play. Rowe has said it over and over- they don't play 40 minutes. That's ultimately his job- get them to play 40 minutes or get guys that can, motivate, get them to win 3-4 or more games in the row. He hasn't been able to do that. It's been a complete failure.

It's not something that playing Richey or playing Flowers is going to change although at this point I wouldn't mind seeing it. Heck I wouldn't mind Richey in the few games we are up late just as a capable free throw shooter but we haven't been up in a game recently. Maybe we hang on vs Hofstra early and this ends up differently but we didn't and it's pretty much been off the rails since.
01-20-2020 09:17 AM
JMUNation Offline
All American

So we lose players that are good enough to get JMU to 1-6 in the league this year and 6-12 last year. This is not a big deal. The new coach doesn’t need to worry about attrition. He needs to worry about getting players on the roster who can win more games than they lose.

I agree that keeping Lou for one more year was the only fair and the right thing to do. He deserved the opportunity to coach his first true class into their junior year. I really like the man but know it is time to move on.

The biggest disappointment with Lou’s tenure is that his recruiting was not what I thought it would be. It was an upgrade from Brady’s last two years but we see by the record the last two years that our players are not as good as we thought they were.

The CAA graduated a lot last year yet the league overall is better this year. Look at how much W&M lost. We all thought their AD was an idiot but turns out she is smarter than all of us.

Our players have not made the progression up the standings many of us expected. The majority of us felt there would be improvement from the 6-12 conference record of last year. That is highly unlikely at this point.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think JMU basketball would be down for so long. I also never thought the Redskins would be the laughing stock of the NFL either. Thank God for the Caps, Nats and JMU football; otherwise, my sports life would consist of watching losing teams lose at record rates.
01-20-2020 09:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.