Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UConn future scheduling, or lack thereof.
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
RE: UConn future scheduling, or lack thereof.
Northeastern collegiate athletics is so heavily Balkanized. You’ve got your elite secular schools, your catholic schools, then your publics and land grants. College sports, particularly football, were never the great cultural unifiers there the way they are in the Midwest and South—they had MLB and later NFL for that in the Northeast.

Bill Dazzle brings up Vanderbilt and they are going through a lot of what other urban private schools in the south have felt once the NFL came to town and established itself. Look at Rice, Tulane, and SMU—that’s the trajectory the Commodores are on.
07-27-2020 12:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
(07-27-2020 12:06 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Northeastern collegiate athletics is so heavily Balkanized. You’ve got your elite secular schools, your catholic schools, then your publics and land grants. College sports, particularly football, were never the great cultural unifiers there the way they are in the Midwest and South—they had MLB and later NFL for that in the Northeast.

Bill Dazzle brings up Vanderbilt and they are going through a lot of what other urban private schools in the south have felt once the NFL came to town and established itself. Look at Rice, Tulane, and SMU—that’s the trajectory the Commodores are on.
I bet Ga. Tech went through something similar after the Falcons came.
07-27-2020 12:26 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
(07-27-2020 12:06 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Northeastern collegiate athletics is so heavily Balkanized. You’ve got your elite secular schools, your catholic schools, then your publics and land grants. College sports, particularly football, were never the great cultural unifiers there the way they are in the Midwest and South—they had MLB and later NFL for that in the Northeast.

Very good point about VU, FMuskie. Agree fully. And that trajectory is not ideal.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2020 02:59 PM by bill dazzle.)
07-27-2020 01:14 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline

(07-27-2020 12:26 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  

Based on where they are now, I would say that is true as well just not quite as hard.

Maybe some of our southern posters can help me out here on an approximation but I’d say a lot more Georgians support UGA than GT. There’s also a pretty solid contingent of Auburn fans on the West side of the state.
07-27-2020 02:14 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline

(07-27-2020 01:14 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

Very good point about VU, FMuskie. Agree fully. And trajectory is not ideal.

Attendance wise, P5 WF, Duke, and Vandy are a lot more like G5 Tulsa, Tulane, and SMU than they are an average P5.
07-27-2020 02:16 PM
bill dazzle Offline

(07-27-2020 02:16 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  

Attendance wise, P5 WF, Duke, and Vandy are a lot more like G5 Tulsa, Tulane, and SMU than they are an average P5.

Agree. I never have to worry about sitting near drunk buffoons when I attend a Vandy football game, as there are always plenty of empty seats from which to choose.

I don't ever see us drawing well in football. Our student body now has a significant number of international students (the highest percentage in the SEC), many of whom are not interested in American football. And the alumni live all over the country. We simply don't have a "built-in" football fan base.
07-27-2020 02:52 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline

(07-27-2020 02:52 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

Agree. I never have to worry about sitting near drunk buffoons when I attend a Vandy football game, as there are always plenty of empty seats from which to choose.

I don't ever see us drawing well in football. Our student body now has a significant number of international students (the highest percentage in the SEC), many of whom are not interested in American football. And the alumni live all over the country. We simply don't have a "built-in" football fan base.

I always figured that Vanderbilt was a good place to watch college football—not because the facilities or amenities are particularly nice or the team particularly good but because it’s less crowded and you can sit considerably closer than some of college football’s grand cathedrals.
07-27-2020 03:09 PM
MidknightWhiskey Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
07-29-2020 05:46 PM
bill dazzle Offline

(07-27-2020 03:09 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  

I always figured that Vanderbilt was a good place to watch college football—not because the facilities or amenities are particularly nice or the team particularly good but because it’s less crowded and you can sit considerably closer than some of college football’s grand cathedrals.

You are correct. At the non-conference games, the crowds are so modest, you can basically sit wherever you choose. I enjoy walking to the top of the stadium and looking into the city at different angles and perspectives. You can't see the heart of downtown Nashville but there are some nice views.
07-29-2020 05:59 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St

I went to the NIU/Vanderbilt game last year.

It was 99 degrees that day. Only the top row of the stadium provided shade as it was an 11am start. Little shade in the concourses, surprisingly.

No locals showed up because it was dangerously hot.

But it would’ve been perfect for a night game or October/November day game. Great sightlines. Hotels within walking distance. Goes without saying, so many things to do - I went to the Hermitage (Andrew Jackson’s place) and their ghost tours.

It’s also only an hour from WKU, so I caught the UAB-WKU game on the way back as a doubleheader.
07-29-2020 06:45 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(07-27-2020 02:14 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  

Based on where they are now, I would say that is true as well just not quite as hard.

Maybe some of our southern posters can help me out here on an approximation but I’d say a lot more Georgians support UGA than GT. There’s also a pretty solid contingent of Auburn fans on the West side of the state.

In many ways Georgia is like Ohio or Wisconsin with really just one flagship. Georgia Tech was historically small and specialized. It used to be one of the smaller I-A public schools, although it now has over 20k. In addition, they have had a fairly large out of state contingent and a lot of the grads go out of state to work. Thus, there aren't vast numbers of alumni in state. Wouldn't be surprised if there were more Alabama and Auburn alumni in the state.
07-29-2020 08:55 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(07-29-2020 08:55 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(07-27-2020 02:14 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  

In many ways Georgia is like Ohio or Wisconsin with really just one flagship. Georgia Tech was historically small and specialized. It used to be one of the smaller I-A public schools, although it now has over 20k. In addition, they have had a fairly large out of state contingent and a lot of the grads go out of state to work. Thus, there aren't vast numbers of alumni in state. Wouldn't be surprised if there were more Alabama and Auburn alumni in the state.

I don’t think Georgia Tech was ever really a thing to be honest. I remember that year they tied Colorado for the national championship and us Iowans were really shocked that a no name team from a minor football conference was ranked so high. I’m serious saying we had never heard of them.
07-29-2020 09:03 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
(07-29-2020 05:46 PM)MidknightWhiskey Wrote:  

What a hack.

There are 4 Indy on the east coast, three are all within a 2 hour bus ride of each other. We have a good relationship with BYU. Think Indy are ok.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2020 08:09 AM by Steve1981.)
07-30-2020 08:04 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline

(07-30-2020 08:04 AM)Steve1981 Wrote:  

What a hack.

There are 4 Indy on the east coast, three are all within a 2 hour bus ride of each other. We have a good relationship with BYU. Think Indy are ok.

Yeah, seriously. Army, UMass, UConn, Liberty, and NMSU could all play each other Home and Home and have 8 games. At least for now, the ACC is planning on playing 1 OOC game apiece and some of those schools have games with UConn and Liberty on the schedule.
07-30-2020 08:30 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(07-30-2020 08:30 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(07-30-2020 08:04 AM)Steve1981 Wrote:  

What a hack.

Yeah, seriously. Army, UMass, UConn, Liberty, and NMSU could all play each other Home and Home and have 8 games. At least for now, the ACC is planning on playing 1 OOC game apiece and some of those schools have games with UConn and Liberty on the schedule.

The OOC ACC games will be eaten up by annual P5 scheduling especially for in-state games. South Carolina / Clemson, Georgia / G-Tech, Florida / FSU, and there won't be any FCS teams for scheduling as many of the FCS conferences have already cancelled their seasons. Not saying the indies will be sitting on the sidelines but the scheduling is going to be extremely difficult as the conferences dampened down their schedules with conference games only like the B-10 and Pac-12. Still waiting on the SEC and B-12 at this time to finalize their approach to a downsized schedule. 07-coffee3 07-coffee3
07-30-2020 08:46 AM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

panite, Who do you think Boston College will play for the in state game?
Kind of ruling out the NM teams on the schedule, because of the governor.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2020 09:19 AM by Steve1981.)
07-30-2020 09:17 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
(07-26-2020 07:19 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  with so many conferences talking of eliminating or minimizing conference games the independents should be in talks to do in-season home and homes to give them full schedules

I suspect we'll end up seeing some combination of that, at least among UMass, Liberty, Uconn, and NMSU. Possibly Army too.
07-30-2020 09:17 AM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

(07-30-2020 09:17 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  
(07-26-2020 07:19 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  with so many conferences talking of eliminating or minimizing conference games the independents should be in talks to do in-season home and homes to give them full schedules

I suspect we'll end up seeing some combination of that, at least among UMass, Liberty, Uconn, and NMSU. Possibly Army too.

The under 2 hour bus ride pod makes the most sense for UConn, Army, and UMass. Liberty is in there. BYU is certainly a possibility. Don't see playing NMSU twice, it would surprise me it that ever happened. However for UConn they may have to consider it if the governor lets them play.
07-30-2020 09:23 AM
ccd494 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maine
(07-30-2020 09:23 AM)Steve1981 Wrote:  
(07-30-2020 09:17 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  

The under 2 hour bus ride pod makes the most sense for UConn, Army, and UMass. Liberty is in there. BYU is certainly a possibility. Don't see playing NMSU twice, it would surprise me it that ever happened. However for UConn they may have to consider it if the governor lets them play.

14-day quarantine required if traveling from Virginia, Utah, or New Mexico to Connecticut.
07-30-2020 10:12 AM
bill dazzle Offline

(07-29-2020 06:45 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(07-27-2020 01:14 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  Very good point about VU, FMuskie. Agree fully. And trajectory is not ideal.

I went to the NIU/Vanderbilt game last year.

It was 99 degrees that day. Only the top row of the stadium provided shade as it was an 11am start. Little shade in the concourses, surprisingly.

No locals showed up because it was dangerously hot.

But it would’ve been perfect for a night game or October/November day game. Great sightlines. Hotels within walking distance. Goes without saying, so many things to do - I went to the Hermitage (Andrew Jackson’s place) and their ghost tours.

It’s also only an hour from WKU, so I caught the UAB-WKU game on the way back as a doubleheader.

Sounds as if you had a nice time in Nashville. Most of us locals welcome visitors to our city. We want people to come, have a great time and tell their family and friends about Music City. I was born in Memphis and lived in Chicago for 3.5 years in the late 1980s-early 1990s. But Nashville is my home and I'm always humbled when visitors enjoy our city.
07-30-2020 12:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.