Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Shorter-Version: W&M Athletics Strategic Review
Bookmark and Share
WMSportsBlog Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: William & Mary
Tribe Nation,

We know that none of you have the time (or patience) to digest the recently released 27-page PICTOR Group document related to Tribe Athletics.

As such, we've gone ahead and created a shorter version, a "Spark notes" version, if you will -- to help get you through. It contains all the main high (and low) points.

Very interesting SWOT analysis overall, and good insight into leadership's overall vision.

Article: https://wmsportsblog.com/2019/05/06/wm-a...ic-vision/
05-06-2019 03:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tribe3455 Offline
Special Teams

RE: Shorter-Version: W&M Athletics Strategic Review
Good breakdown. Thank you. Nothing really groundbreaking here. We do support a lot of sports and athletes and the university kicks in very little net funding compared to our peers. One or both of those will have to change.
05-07-2019 06:51 AM
WMSportsBlog Offline
Special Teams

(05-07-2019 06:51 AM)Tribe3455 Wrote:  Good breakdown. Thank you. Nothing really groundbreaking here. We do support a lot of sports and athletes and the university kicks in very little net funding compared to our peers. One or both of those will have to change.

It's definitely interesting to note leadership's overall emphasis on the three "revenue generating" sports in football/men's and women's basketball. Sounds as though some sports are headed out, as we focus more on football and basketball.
05-07-2019 01:09 PM
NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
One comment on diversity, this summary says W&M needs more people of color working in the athletics department. Stats I found online say 14% of US population is of African American decent, 18.9% in Virginia.

Summary says "only 14%" of athletics department employees are people of color.

I wonder what level is desired?
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2019 02:16 PM by NC Tribe.)
05-07-2019 02:16 PM
Tribe32 Online
All American

I Root For: Tribe
Pretty sure the study was before London's staff also. Percentage went up a few percent. Same with new assistant hoops coach.

I would suggest that gender equity in coaches may be hard to achieve. There just aren't as many women coaches at the collegiate level. I suppose that's the point of the study, but I don't want to hire people just to check boxes. I'm much happier with Swanson in comparison to Taylor.
05-07-2019 02:40 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(05-07-2019 02:40 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  I would suggest that gender equity in coaches may be hard to achieve. There just aren't as many women coaches at the collegiate level. I suppose that's the point of the study, but I don't want to hire people just to check boxes. I'm much happier with Swanson in comparison to Taylor.

"Checking boxes" is how the Steelers found Mike Tomlin.
05-07-2019 07:24 PM
Advertisement

Tribe32 Online
All American

I Root For: Tribe
What does Tomlin have to do with gender equity?
05-07-2019 07:50 PM
Tribe2011 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: W&M
(05-07-2019 02:16 PM)NC Tribe Wrote:  One comment on diversity, this summary says W&M needs more people of color working in the athletics department. Stats I found online say 14% of US population is of African American decent, 18.9% in Virginia.

Summary says "only 14%" of athletics department employees are people of color.

I wonder what level is desired?

Leaving aside for a second the merits of a diverse staff and the best ways to achieve that, 38% of Virginians are people of color.
05-07-2019 09:55 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(05-07-2019 07:50 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  What does Tomlin have to do with gender equity?

His hiring has to do with minority representation in coaching. If not for the NFL putting a focus on diversity in the interview process, the Steelers wouldn't have interviewed him. Part of the problem with getting more diverse is that the pool for potential coaches is usually made up of former or current coaches. If there's no diversity in those ranks, it will not happen without focusing on it in hiring practices.

I'm not making any comment on the abilities of Swanson vs. Taylor, either. I'd rather have a good coach than bad coach.
05-07-2019 10:57 PM
Tribal Offline

We wouldn't have AD Samantha Huge without "checking that box."

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
05-08-2019 03:27 AM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(05-08-2019 03:27 AM)Tribal Wrote:  We wouldn't have AD Samantha Huge without "checking that box."

PROBLEMS WITH VERY SMALL SAMPLES

Alternatively, if you're arguing that all people we interviewed to check a box would be the same as Huge, https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/composition-division

I mean... be better at trolling. That's pretty weak.
05-08-2019 08:20 AM
Advertisement

Tribal Offline

(05-08-2019 08:20 AM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  
(05-08-2019 03:27 AM)Tribal Wrote:  We wouldn't have AD Samantha Huge without "checking that box."

Alternatively, if you're arguing that all people we interviewed to check a box would be the same as Huge, https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/composition-division

Ha, that's not trolling. It's the truth and I didn't argue that all people we interviewed to check a box would be the same as Huge. Shame on you for attributing those words to me. Projection or just looking to snipe? You're better than that.

What about my statement isn't true? Including women in the search for Athletic Director provided Rowe with an opportunity to snag AD Samantha Huge.

Lots of women and minorities do a fantastic job in leadership positions. That, too, is a fact.

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2019 09:42 AM by Tribal.)
05-08-2019 09:34 AM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(05-08-2019 09:34 AM)Tribal Wrote:  

Ha, that's not trolling. It's the truth and I didn't argue that all people we interviewed to check a box would be the same as Huge. Shame on you for attributing those words to me. Projection or just looking to snipe? You're better than that.

What about my statement isn't true? Including women in the search for Athletic Director provided Rowe with an opportunity to snag AD Samantha Huge.

Lots of women and minorities do a fantastic job in leadership positions. That, too, is a fact.

Rowe was hired after Huge, wasn't she?

It's pointless to argue... I'll happily rescind my statements if you can more explicitly explain what you meant in your original post:
05-08-2019 11:33 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
(05-08-2019 09:34 AM)Tribal Wrote:  Lots of women and minorities do a fantastic job in leadership positions. That, too, is a fact.

In related news, not all male figure skaters are gay & not all latinos are in MS13. 03-yes
05-08-2019 11:36 AM
Tribal Offline

(05-08-2019 11:33 AM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  
(05-08-2019 09:34 AM)Tribal Wrote:  

Rowe was hired after Huge, wasn't she?

It's pointless to argue... I'll happily rescind my statements if you can more explicitly explain what you meant in your original post:
I already explained what I said. Without including women in searches--what the other poster meant by "checking the box"--WM wouldn't have included AD Samantha Huge as an option. Thus, W&M wouldn't have AD Samantha Huge without "checking that box."

Also, not every thought/post is married to political agenda so you and my buddy, Hyper, can knock that nonsense off, too.

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2019 11:46 AM by Tribal.)
05-08-2019 11:45 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-08-2019 11:45 AM)Tribal Wrote:  Also, not every thought/post is married to political agenda so you and my buddy, Hyper, can knock that nonsense off, too.

Dude, how did I go political?? I think you’d be surprised at my actual “political” leanings.

My point was you’re mentioning that she was included in order to check a box. I think others think she was included as a candidate based on her merits & the “checked box” could be the result afterward, not what caused her to gain consideration. It’s a subtle difference, but I think it’s important.

My other point was to crack an easy joke because work is boring sometimes.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2019 12:08 PM by HyperDuke.)
05-08-2019 12:08 PM
Advertisement

Tribal Offline

No, I said if the checked box thingy wasn't incorporated, we wouldn't have hired her because she wouldn't have been consider...because she's a woman. Huge wouldn't have been interviewed in the 1980s.

And, of course I was just busting your chops so stop it with all the question marks...dude. :)

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2019 03:49 PM by Tribal.)
05-08-2019 03:47 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

:) “ok”
05-08-2019 03:57 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(05-08-2019 11:45 AM)Tribal Wrote:  
(05-08-2019 11:33 AM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  Rowe was hired after Huge, wasn't she?

I already explained what I said. Without including women in searches--what the other poster meant by "checking the box"--WM wouldn't have included AD Samantha Huge as an option. Thus, W&M wouldn't have AD Samantha Huge without "checking that box."

Also, not every thought/post is married to political agenda so you and my buddy, Hyper, can knock that nonsense off, too.

Fair enough. FWIW, Hyper's probably off. This is entirely speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a focus on diversity at least in the interviewing process, which matches what you said.

Given the general animosity around here (rightfully so) towards Huge, hopefully you can forgive me for reading subtext where there apparently wasn't any.
05-08-2019 08:33 PM
Tribal Offline

Oh, I definitely offered up a snarky jab at Huge but, my issue was, I think including women and minorities in the applicant pool is a good thing...the right thing...so I don't think it's fair to lump me in with the anti-inclusion group. At the end of the process, I hope the top candidate prevails but everyone deserves proper consideration. That wasn't the case for most organizations for so long.

05-09-2019 03:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.