Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Softball Coach Question
Bookmark and Share
LovethoseDukes Online
1st String

I Root For: JMU of course!
Softball Coach Question
Is the Drexel softball coach always such a whiny grump face or was this past weekend in Harrisonburg an exception? He seemed to complain about almost every call, tried to convince the ump on Saturday that our first player (who hit a HR) had scuffed the chalk mark on the batter's box (despite the fact that three of his players had already been at bat) and then made a wisecrack to one of the JMU players (who had already hit a HR in the game) to try to get into her head. She made him pay though.....promptly hit another HR.

If we saw the usual behavior, then I feel sorry for your players. I hope we just saw him having a couple of really bad days.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2019 12:35 PM by LovethoseDukes.)
04-29-2019 12:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jcohen42 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Drexel
RE: Softball Coach Question
I cannot claim to know anything about him, but back when I was at Drexel, I was on a co-ed intramural softball team, and one of the women on our team had quit varsity softball because of the coaching staff. So take that for what it's worth.
04-29-2019 12:30 PM
Dragon For Life Offline
Special Teams

If he doesn't coach Squash we don't know who he is... haha
05-01-2019 06:19 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
(05-01-2019 06:19 PM)Dragon For Life Wrote:  If he doesn't coach Squash we don't know who he is... haha

This joke reached its audience. Thanks! 03-lol
05-02-2019 11:10 AM
Advertisement

hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

we made the lacrosse final and lost. i believe we've won it once. i feel like a soccer team won a title. otherwise it's hard to think of a championship team we've had.

i just bring it up because as bad as things are marketing and level of interest wise for basketball...it's 10 times (at least) worse for the rest of our programs. you start wondering what we're trying to accomplish.

we do seem to be throwing everything at crew and squash. it looks like crew is doing well. i'm not flying out my door to go see a boat race any time soon though.
05-05-2019 06:16 PM
J.B. Offline

(05-05-2019 06:16 PM)hiroshimacarp Wrote:  we made the lacrosse final and lost. i believe we've won it once. i feel like a soccer team won a title. otherwise it's hard to think of a championship team we've had.

i just bring it up because as bad as things are marketing and level of interest wise for basketball...it's 10 times (at least) worse for the rest of our programs. you start wondering what we're trying to accomplish.

we do seem to be throwing everything at crew and squash. it looks like crew is doing well. i'm not flying out my door to go see a boat race any time soon though.

I was hoping that this thread would just die. But I wanted to add to Carp's comment. I really thought that Drexel was making a huge commitment to men's lacrosse by hosting the NCAA Championships every couple of years. Men's Lacrosse has traditionally been the 2nd most attended NCAA Tournament Championship, basketball being #1 of course. One would think that Drexel's name recognition from being connected to the lacrosse final four would have elevated the program. But that really hasn't happened. They're always just a wanna be that's competitive every year and tries really hard to get over the hump, but just can't figure out how to get there.
05-05-2019 08:42 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I thought Voelker was a good hire after Bates left for Princeton. Bates was the better coach. Voelker has kept a strong program but not sure he has it in him. We could do a lot worse for a coach, though. He has been really good at recruiting attackers and goaltenders. We have historically (past decade) been a pretty physical team, but we have no been able to capitalize on that. It is painful to see a team like Penn State getting a top seed or a Loyola (Md) a handful of years ago win a title. Those were our peers, teams we played against and were always competitive. Penn State was a bottom tier CAA team until the Big10 decided to formally create a conference. Always painful to watch teams surpass us without us elevating. I like lacrosse and am glad we are competitive most years, especially as the sport continues to grow and more programs are created. We just as easily could have sunk, so I give credit where credit is due, but I do not think Voelker will take the team to the next level.
05-06-2019 08:24 AM
Advertisement

LovethoseDukes Online
1st String

I Root For: JMU of course!
Well this thread took a left turn so I guess it shows you all really don't care about your softball team. That's a shame because you have some solid hitters and with a good pitcher or two could definitely be a contender in the CAA. I was not meaning anything negative about your team, just questioning a coach I saw be pretty hateful to his players and the opponents in one weekend. I'll have to watch this weekend in the tournament to see if that is his general demeanor or if we just caught him on a bad weekend.
05-06-2019 10:06 AM
J.B. Offline

(05-06-2019 10:06 AM)LovethoseDukes Wrote:  Well this thread took a left turn so I guess it shows you all really don't care about your softball team. That's a shame because you have some solid hitters and with a good pitcher or two could definitely be a contender in the CAA. I was not meaning anything negative about your team, just questioning a coach I saw be pretty hateful to his players and the opponents in one weekend. I'll have to watch this weekend in the tournament to see if that is his general demeanor or if we just caught him on a bad weekend.

Nothing against softball, as I run a local youth softball league. But there are only so many sports out there to follow. We live in a first class major metropolitan area with a first place MLB team to root for. So in a city like Philadelphia, you're not going to get too many people attending or following college softball. So there's really nobody here to give an opinion on our coach one way or another.
05-06-2019 10:12 AM
jcohen42 Offline
Special Teams

(05-06-2019 10:06 AM)LovethoseDukes Wrote:  Well this thread took a left turn so I guess it shows you all really don't care about your <insert-sport-other-than-basketball-here> team.
This is very much a basketball forum. J.B. hit the nail on the head, there's a ton of competition in the Philly sports marketplace and I'd venture to guess the majority of us are fans of at least some of the Philly pro teams. There's only so much attention to go around, and while I'm always glad when a Drexel team do well, I can't say that I follow any non-basketball Drexel team beyond occasional check-ins. If that counts as not caring, well, guilty as charged I suppose.

EDIT: Doing a quick search, looks like 2019 was the first year the softball team finished over .500 since 2009, and I can't find the last time they finished over .500 in the conference. So I think our lack of attention to them can be forgiven.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2019 02:27 PM by jcohen42.)
05-06-2019 02:23 PM
Advertisement

hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

(05-05-2019 08:42 PM)J.B. Wrote:  I was hoping that this thread would just die.

That's what I'm here for.

I would bet that several of us would show up for a lacrosse or softball championship. Look at dan's breakdown of the coaches. That's a man who knows his lacrosse. I went to the CAA lacrosse final we lost a number of years ago. I almost drove down the Loyola for the Patriot League title game yesterday because Lehigh was involved. It rained and going to a fundraiser was the better option. If Drexel has been involved at Towson...we probably brave the elements.

Agree JB that lacrosse is a good sport to get relevant in. I was surprised at how many games were on TV this weekend. You could've spent most of the weekend on your coach flipping between BTN, ESPNU, and CBS Sports Network catching all the games.
05-06-2019 03:19 PM
Dragon For Life Offline
Special Teams

Watch our women with a championship haha
05-09-2019 05:59 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

(05-09-2019 05:59 PM)Dragon For Life Wrote:  Watch our women with a championship haha
If they do, that would be fantastic.

Here is a comprehensive list of every CAA title achieved (For those keeping track at home we joined in 2001, so this is 18 years of history):

2009- Women's basketball
2012- Women's field hockey
2013- Men's Soccer
2014- Men's Lacrosse
05-10-2019 08:07 AM
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

To add to that point:

Of current members:
Men's titles (2)- 2nd worst in conference (Elon has 0, next closest is Northeastern at 6)
Women's titles (2)- worst in conference (Closest is Elon at 4)
Total titles (4)- worst in conference tied with Elon

On the men's side we are tied with Loyola and Virginia Tech (going back to the ECAC South days) and only ahead of Binghamton and Villanova (as far as teams who have at least 1 title)

On the women's side we are not tied with anyone and only ahead of Boston and Buffalo as teams who won a single title.

Point being, that result is certainly not in our favor and would be highly celebrated.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2019 08:13 AM by dan10.)
05-10-2019 08:12 AM
J.B. Offline

And of course, Drexel loses 7-3 to Elon in the semi-finals to end their season.
05-10-2019 08:20 AM
jcohen42 Offline
Special Teams

(05-10-2019 08:07 AM)dan10 Wrote:  
(05-09-2019 05:59 PM)Dragon For Life Wrote:  Watch our women with a championship haha
If they do, that would be fantastic.

Here is a comprehensive list of every CAA title achieved (For those keeping track at home we joined in 2001, so this is 18 years of history):

2009- Women's basketball
2012- Women's field hockey
2013- Men's Soccer
2014- Men's Lacrosse
If only the CAA sponsored squash or crew.
05-10-2019 04:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.